Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jj72

Options
  • 02-10-2001 11:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

discuss.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Richie

For about the millionth time................... some people like them, some people hate them. End of discussion really. It's been done before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Where are they now #343: JJ72
    Brought light rock ballads of a morose nature to thousands of people who wanted to see other bands and made Cormac Battle an alcoholic by replacing Wilt as the most likely band to be supporting any indy band that comes to Ireland.
    Last seen been accidently packed into placebos luggage.

Na Im just bitter cause I went to school with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Carobobaline

is there one soon? amyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Carobobaline

is there one soon? amyone? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Manufractured Individual

I go to the school they used to...there was this Parents Evening thingumy for the new First Years parents last year. They had these posters and things up around the school that were still there for some of the next day. One of them had some questions about JJ72 on it one was "What does JJ72 stand for?". On the bottom of the sheet it said that the JJ is for James Joyce because he also came to this school and 1972 is the last time the school won one of those damn rugby things they care so much about.

I think that's pretty pathetic if it's true, but that's just me...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

:D
    You're right if that is true it is indeed pathetic...but it sounds like some dumbass propoganda to me.

I would hope so and if it is it really pisses me off that the school would actually do that. It brought the opinion of a lot of people about them way down.

Me...I see them the same way as Placebo: they're not as good as they're made out to be and I heard they suck live but I don't like or dislike them. I just don't really notice their existance much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Originally posted by lamda
    :D
    You're right if that is true it is indeed pathetic...but it sounds like some dumbass propoganda to me.

I seriously doubt this is true. I knew them in school and they didnt give two flying acts of reproduction for Rugby or the history of the School. IMHO the School in question has done this sort of thing in the past. Embellishing or Neglecting to mention information about their more famous past pupils when heralding them as another success of the jesuit system.
    Case in point would be James Joyce who after he graduated went on to frequent brothels and turn away from the church.* All conveniently forgotten by the school when telling a new bunch of first years that they could be the next James Joyce.... and now the angelus.
    Dont mind me Im just being bitter again. :-)

I still believe that JJ72 doesnt mean anything.

*http://miavx1.muohio.edu/~lwsherman/smith.html

I'd say Toast is probably right...I mean...the school IS evil...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Sarah-presence

there is a rumour that "JJ72" is a name of a particualar guitar...i can't be sure...maybe ring someone and find out...then again who really cares?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

the story is that jj is James Joyce and 72 is page 72 of the penguin edition of one of his books on which there is apparently a reference to teenage angst though I don't know if there's any truth behind this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

I see! I suspect Potrait of the artist as a young man.

Thanks for the review by the way. My head is swelling! Can't wait to see the album review soon!

Go here! NOW! http://www.kaboommusic.cjb.net

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Lunar Junkie

The rather mundane truth behind their name is that Mark Greaney named the band after an art project at school.
    JJ72 stands, so I've read, for "Jack Jar 72". There was a wall in the art class at his school made from coloured glass jars, and there were 72 jars in the wall. That's where it comes from. Nothing whatsoever to do with James Joyce. As for their music, I kinda like some of it, but sometimes Mark Greaney seems to have his head far up his own arse, and I rather suspect that the bass player is not there for her musical ability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

What's the significance of the "Jack"?

Thomas, the Kaboom is gonna be done in issues that come out at irregular intervals - it might take a little longer to update but there'll be LOADS updated at once instead of dribs and drabs, a retooling of the design too...

issue 1should be out on Monday evening, possibly Sunday and should be reviews of: New Joan of Arse LP, Presence album, Rory O'Connor's album, Jeff Martin's album, Reindeer Section album, Gigsmart review and Polar live review and there's a newsletter now that tells when a new issue is out and what's in it (kind of like this post)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kitschsugar

[QUOTE
    Me...I see them the same way as Placebo: they're not as good as they're made out to be and I heard they suck live but I don't like or dislike them. I just don't really notice their existance much. [/B][/QUOTE]

euck.....how can you compare a whinging uneducated child (who sings about snow....or is it rain.....?) to Placebo?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

To quote "euck.....how can you compare a whinging uneducated child (who sings about snow....or is it rain.....?) to Placebo??"
    that line is unfinished.....
    the next part is ........
    To placebo- a weird skinny whiney gimp who sings songs about special k (well maybe...) and friends with weed being better than friends that pee or some shit like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭anony

Has anyone noticed how thin on top old Brian Molko is....how chic will he look in a couple of years when he's a little bald whinny elf .....

JJ72 I think were signed a little too early.....live they sound piss poor....and the hype is too much for a band that talk the talk (the singer) more than the can walk the walk..if you know what I mean.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭twoheadedcow

Originally posted by anony
    Has anyone noticed how thin on top old Brian Molko is....how chic will he look in a couple of years when he's a little bald whinny elf

oh he is the next michael stipe, although i dont hate rem's music, stipe is a big dick, along with molko.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Mark greany does talk a lot of **** but the bass player is hot and the songs arent bad cant wait for the new album and I saw them support the manic's and the werent bad apart from the fact my friend got a nose bleed in the mosh pit at the first song and had to go to the back for the rest of the concert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 stupid hippy

:D I KNOW!!!!!!!
    Anyone want to know what jj72 really stands for because I Actually really do know.. My friend's broter is really good friends with him and he told him what it was when he was drunk with him one night..
    Just so you know, It's not James Joyce '72.. He's a lot more creative than that....
    :p

• Advertisement

Well? Are you gonna tell us or just be all mean and junk?

Advertisement