Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

http://www.errorcom.com/

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Originally posted by muchos_bongo

I do not work for nor am I affiliated with Eircom.

I am an informed concerned tech.

"informed"? In what way? Prithee let us in on the information you have.

"concerned"? Cursing, swearing, and insulting us?

"tech"? You can register a boards.ie user? Wow, you wizard, I bow before thy obvious techie powers.

I for one think that your 3 posts, all on this subject, and the fact that you registered today, added to your similar-to-rond0-mond0 name make you a likely candidate for membership of the eircon collective.

You muppet.

But thanks for an alternative point of view. Please take notice that in future we will pay more heed to your remarks if you can refrain from insulting people.

Al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭cmkrnl

I disagree. I think that the continual childish actions of organisations such as Irelandoffline and the person in Epsilon Ltd who set up the parody site errorcom.com is unprofessional and belittles the valid concerns of the technical community in Ireland (of which IrelandOffline are not representitative IMHO). No publicity is better than bad publicity.

Speak for yourself sunshine. Heuston we have a f*ckwit.

greg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

I think that the continual childish actions of organisations such as Irelandoffline and the person in Epsilon Ltd who set up the parody site errorcom.com is unprofessional and belittles the valid concerns of the technical community in Ireland
    1. What has the parody site errorcom.com got to do with the valid concerns of the techical community in Ireland?

2. What are the valid concerns of the technical community in Ireland?

For me the site is simply mildly amusing. It was parodying Eircom not the technical comunity in Ireland nor their valid concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

..... continual childish actions of organisations such as Irelandoffline .....

Have you been paying any attention to ANYTHING said by IOffline committee people? The Errorcom site has nothing to do with IOffline, nor is it endorsed by them.
    ..... and belittles the valid concerns of the technical community in Ireland (of which IrelandOffline are not representitative IMHO)

As for your distinction between consumer and technical community, I beg to strongly disagree. VERY STRONGLY.

Distinguish between a consumer and a consumer please? Pot meet Kettle. We are one and the same. The technical community is more likely to have broadband tech of some sort, so the lower the cost, the better. But since a large user base is required, you need the ordinary joe-bloggs interested too in order to drive pricing down.

I am a technical person muchos_bongo, and I find your attitude erring towards that of a condescending snob towards those who are not technically minded. I suspect that maybe it is you who needs to grow up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

Fu*king idiots.

When are you people going to cop the fu*k on?

I really don't understand why anyone other than an Eircom employee could object to this site.

What harm can it do?

It can't harm IOFFL because it's not affiliated with it. Even if it does have almost universal support from the IOFFL membership.

If it upsets Eircom a bit because it holds them up to ridicule then I'd have to say that they brought it on themselves. There is general consensus that they've stifled competition, dragged their heels over introducing new services, obstructed the Regulator in the performance of her duties and that the services they do offer are incredibly overpriced with comparision to the rest of Europe.

The public are not fools and if laughter and ridicule is our own weapon left then we are right to use it. If it thows their public image into sharp relief for them then that can only be a good thing.

Someone show me how this site might have done any harm.

K

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

No. Good way to avoid conflict though. Passive-Aggressive behaviour is typical in uninformed dicsussion.

Yes. My tendency to argue a point is, and has always been evident since I registered here. But you wouldn't know that, because you are a newbie, probably sent here by Eircom's legal department in some ill-inspired attempt to contain the situation and/or save face. You are a troll, and I don't argue with trolls. Goodbye.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭spanner_head

muchos_bongo

reading what you have said above. I have come to the conclusion that you are a spanner head.

so please keep posting spanner-ish remarks.

"I think that the continual childish actions of organisations such as Irelandoffline........is unprofessional "

em - whats the point in saying that muchos_bongo?

Irelandoffline are doing something about the situation here in this 'e-hub' of a country. As everything they do is professional in every manner. If it were not for Irelandoffline, people would have no hope about the situation.

Originally posted by dahamsta
    probably sent here by Eircom's legal department in some ill-inspired attempt to contain the situation and/or save face.
    Eircom must have an employee whose only job it is to scan message boards, newsgroups and mailing lists. I imagine it is one of those TE employees who can't be sacked but lack the flexibility, technical ability or intelligence to work in other sections of Eircom. When they see something like a parody site, their job is to report it to the legal team. What a pathetic little job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

No. Good way to avoid conflict though. Passive-Aggressive behaviour is typical in uninformed dicsussion.

This Guys a phy student. As for a tech, don't bull****, your in with a heavy crowd here, who actually know what their talking about.
    internet consultants and people who business it is to know about these things.
    FFS you cant even spell, your not very good at this troll game, are you?

Also, I agree with you being a troll, the definition of a troll is one who post and inflammatory comment in order to provoke and negative reaction from its readers. therefore you are a troll and WE DON'T FEED TROLLS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

As a concerned techie who deals with Eircom and their services on a daily basis, the truth is much worse.

Whoever set it up, I owe you a pint and can we have Esat as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

:D
    LOL
    :D

Adam, you've got far to much time on your hands...now
    if you could turn your attention to the regulators site...
    er maybe not. ;)

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I think that the continual childish actions of organisations such as Irelandoffline...

EH??

EXCUSE ME???

When have IrelandOFFLine acted childishly?

Actually... put another (a BETTER) way, - when have IrelandOFFLine ever acted in any other way than professionally and respectfully?

You apparently need to be made aware of the facts:

1. IrelandOFFLine had absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the production of this Errorcom.com web site.

2. The IrelandOFFLine committee has neither condoned nor condemned the creators of the site as yet, and I personally doubt we are actually going to do either.

3. Whether or not you believe us to be representative of the "tech community" is your own business. IrelandOFFLine was set up to represent ALL Irish Internet users and to get a better, fairer and more inexpensive deal for ALL of them...- that includes ANY community you may wish to mention, but particularly seems to include the more technically oriented.

--

Now you, "muchos_bongo" are the one that's stepping slightly out of line here - insinuating that IrelandOFFLine are somehow involved in the Errorcom site (which we are NOT) and being blatantly insulting to the regular users of our forum (and I quote: "Fu*king idiots. When are you people going to cop the fu*k on?").

Cool it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

A couple of quotes from muchos_bongo:

Now this is a very good point, but the majority of your contributions to this discussions have been along the lines of:
    Fu*king idiots.

When are you people going to cop the fu*k on?

This would suggest that your idea of a discussion is a load of louts drubnk in a bar beating the crap out each other over who they think will win the next FA cup. I have yet to see you contribute any opinion to this discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

warning: offensive link
    [ REMOVED ]

sorry for the above spam, but i think it ends the above flaming nicely.

[ - Well I don't. Please don't post that kind of material here. - Bard ]

now, back on topic...

is the site ever going to be updated? i think with a few hours work the site could be given a very professional look. if the images are re drawn in paint shop pro or photoshop, and a few finishing touches are added the site could be a very powerfull propagandic tool.

and i think a "guess book" type messsage board would act as a petition against eircom's monopoly of the irish telephonic infastructure.

i think it compliments ireland offline nicely. both the site and I-OFF-L have eircom in an interesting pincer, between I-OFF-L's professional approach and errorcom's devilishly funny parody.

(i would also like to marry the person who made that site :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Matfinn

Lo all.
    I was just reading up on the topic above there, and I noticed alot of you hammering this guy using his quotes, and 'flaming' him as you call it. I am not defending this guy, nor Am I flaming him. He may have said a few silly things. I am taking a neutral stnce here. Theres little point in flaming ppl like this, just wasted time.

That time can be better spent looking at IrishWan
    by clicking on http://www.irishwan.org , and http://dublin.irishwan.org

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

LOL shameless plug ;)

.logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I think that the continual childish actions of organisations such as Irelandoffline and the person in Epsilon Ltd who set up the parody site errorcom.com is unprofessional and belittles the valid concerns of the technical community in Ireland (of which IrelandOffline are not representitative IMHO).

I'm not aware of IOFFL ever claiming to be representative of the technical "community", such as it is.

While many of their concerns are shared by those working in the technical industry, myself included (to a certain degree I'm a "bandwidth exile" who would be much more likely to be still living and working in Ireland were it not for the current connectivity situation), the organisation is much more representative of the concerns of SMEs and consumers, in my opinion.

Your anal claims that your valid concerns are being "belittled" are unhelpful and snobbish. If you had any experience of this kind of anti-monopoly lobbying, you'd know that this kind of pressure and behaviour is exactly what attracts the media attention required to Get Things Done. Sitting around your coke and pizza bemoaning the lack of ADSL rollout in between linux discussions and thinking very hard about Sending A Stern Letter to eircom won't get you anywhere.

In ways I think IOFFL has been over-ambitious, but their approach is a hell of a lot better than any actions I've seen taken on behalf of this so-called "technical community" you claim to represent.

Rob.

There's no need for *everyone* to dive in and start ripping muchos_bongo's posts apart. I think he should have gotten the point by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Matfinn

You said it Bard:)I see theres a little bloodlust in all of us:) Theres alot of anger and we are looking to vent it somewhere, so the minute someone steps out of line, they are torn apart like a rabbit in a group of rotweillers. Lads and lasses try calming yourselves and get a punching bag or something. Might help:)

My Sermon Ends, you may go in peace. And before you go, check out http://www.irishwan.org

God Bless

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Oh come on now heheh, I mean you dont turn up on Boards.ie as a newbie with 7 posts and say something along the lines of 'would you f*cks ever stfu" and expect to get out alive.

Personally I thought about banning the account for simple abusiveness but I decided against it.

Oh, btw, it comes from a RIPE ip. Only three corporations I know of use RIPE ips directly :) (can someone correct me if I'm wrong here?)

DeV.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by DeVore

Personally I thought about banning the account for simple abusiveness but I decided against it.

I contemplated banning the account from the IOFFL forum,... (yes, I can do that now :) ) ... but thoughts of freedom of speech and all that got the better of me... I guess.

Oh, btw, it comes from a RIPE ip. Only three corporations I know of use RIPE ips directly :) (can someone correct me if I'm wrong here?)

DeV.

A trace shows the IP coming from the RIPE Network Coordination Centre in Amsterdam.

Incidentally, to get there, it went out via Eircom.net's London connection, on through the Ebone Backbone in Germany and the Czech Republic and Cesnet - also in the Czech Republic.

I don't know exactly what this tells us, but no- I don't believe there are many corporations with interests here that can/do use RIPE IP's directly... and I believe Eircom are one of them.

Originally posted by Matfinn
    You said it Bard:)I see theres a little bloodlust in all of us:) Theres alot of anger and we are looking to vent it somewhere, so the minute someone steps out of line, they are torn apart like a rabbit in a group of rotweillers. Lads and lasses try calming yourselves and get a punching bag or something. Might help:)
    Yes. There was no need to jump on him, particularly as he was merely voicing the Valid Concerns of the Technical Community in Ireland which were not, in his opinion, being represented by IrelandOffline.

This, of course, begs the question: What, in his opinion, are the Valid Concerns of the Technical Community in Ireland? But you lot chased him off before he could answer. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

This, of course, begs the question: What, in his opinion, are the Valid Concerns of the Technical Community in Ireland?

Before we go begging that question, can I beg a different one? Namely, "Who the hell are the Technical Community to which you refer, and please don't say 'the ILUG!'....?"

Rob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭cmkrnl

Originally posted by Bard

A trace shows the IP coming from the RIPE Network Coordination Centre in Amsterdam.

Incidentally, to get there, it went out via Eircom.net's London connection, on through the Ebone Backbone in Germany and the Czech Republic and Cesnet - also in the Czech Republic.

Interesting....

greg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Originally posted by Shinji

Before we go begging that question, can I beg a different one? Namely, "Who the hell are the Technical Community to which you refer, and please don't say 'the ILUG!'....?"

Rob.

Actually the "Technical Community" is me and a couple of the lads who meet up down the local every so often.

Try O'Neills, Suffolk St. of a Thursday evening (9ish) and you'll see the Irish Technical Community in full swing. :)

And as Tom said, there's no way someone's gonna get away with posting that kinda shit on the boards. Hammer away I say! Although I did thank him for the alternative point of view, which is always useful in these situations.

Al.

Originally posted by Trojan
    Actually the "Technical Community" is me and a couple of the lads who meet up down the local every so often.
    So, what are your valid concerns? Are they being "belittled" by the errorcom site which satirises Eircom? ;)

Advertisement