Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting Solaris 8.0

• 03-10-2001 2:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭

Ok - 3 cd's is too big for my nolimits connection as I would probably have to do this over about 3 months and then not use the internet after download of ISO ok?

Things which I may bartyr in exchange

Slackware 8.0 & extra iso
    Debian 2.2r2 & binary disc 2
    FreeBSD 4.2/4.3beat2
    NetBSD(someversion?)
    Mandrake 7.1/7.2
    2gig of Mp3's
    30 pin Simms
    Possibly a duron 700

Oh if anyone wants any of above *nix distro's on a cd @ about £1.00 or the price the cd will cost me, then I guess I could stretch to burning you off one get me here cout@eircom.net
    ok?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

sparc version I presume?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Hmm I wish I had 20,000 to play with a sparc, errmmm but does someone have an intel solaris 8.0 so that I can play with my athlon @ home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

u can get a nice blade 100 for just over 1k
    great systems too (well if u can't get a 450 or a netra)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I think the marketing slogan goes something like "from $995 to $10M" so there's prolly an ultra-x for IR£850 with the dollar now :)

Al.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭Catch_22

the sunblade 100 clocks in at just over the 1k
    its $995 + vat

c22

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Nice guys in
    www.antefacto.com
    took pity and furhished me with solaris cd's for some reason.
    /aside
    They have this huge poster of Darth Vader on the wall, it would be scary only I know it's really only James Earl Jones
    /aside

What I guess could be called cool things bout solaris
    java , javac, perl
    I guess?

What could be called not so good

My voodoo3 doesn't do 256colours
    SoundCard not supported
    Nic(tulip) not supported, sigh
    Hmm I should say no gcc twice shouldn't I?
    Hmm I should say no gcc twice shouldn't I?

Oh and yes sure as soon as I get 1000 quid 2 spend on a system I will buy a sparc, ehem right after I get a p4 hehehehe.

I think I will go get netbsd disk 3 so I can install netbsd, so I will more than likely not be posting after I have finished dloading ISO in case ioffline cut me off,

Now I know it will be difficult for you all, but be strong while I'm gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

solaris does not, for one second, put itself in the desktop OS market (altho you can get KDE/Star Office etc for it)..

It does support 'soundcards' - maybe not the latest and greatest SBLives?

therefore it does not support as many pci cards as other os's

let alone that Solaris for intel is an afterthought really, and not by any means a 'headline' product with hundreds of people supporting it.....

Solaris 9 is on the way out, in beta from this week, maybe that will be better for intel pc's

IMHO you cant beat Solaris on Sun hardware for a unix based server, if you have the money, if you have budget issues just use linux on dell :)

[NOTE]Patch Solaris as soon as you get it - Check here for links and halpful guides

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Bosco

Hi folks,

At least Solaris for Intel platform is free to educational institutions (at least our college thinks it's getting it free), the same can't be said for Microsoft's server OS products.

I admit my knowledge in this area is fairly limited but free is free :)

Bosco

Advertisement