Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Download speed capped at 31 kbps

Options
  • 03-10-2001 12:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I have an Eircom.net subscription account with 1891 access from Newbridge, Co. Kildare, and have a 56K V90 modem correctly configured. With Oceanfree I achieve about 49 kbps for download, but with Eircom.net my download speed is capped at about 31 kbps. Esat, which owns Oceanfree, cannot provide 1891 access at 56K. I have complained to Eircom and Eircom.net for more than six months and have reported the situation to ODTR. Eircom blames Eircom.net and Eircom.net blames Eircom. Has anyone else got the same problem and can anyone provide a technical explanation of what is happening?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

I also have a 1891 subscription to eircom, but i usually get download speeds of between 3.5 and 4.5 KBps although I ALWAYS connect at 31Kbps with my laptop, but with the same number and phone line I connect at 44Kbps with my PC and sometimes get 5KBps download speeds ...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I have the same problem with Eircom - it only connects at 16kps whereas Esat connects at 49.2

On the "I'm not getting the full 56k experience", no one is. In the US there are regulatory reasons, here it's all the factors that mean that you never achieve 56kps on a 56k modem.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

NTL customers get the full 56k line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

You guys are lucky: I can't even use a v90 modem to connect to the Internet. And if I can connect, I'll get disconnected after a few minutes due to bad line quality.

You know what's funny though? When I complain about it, Eircom blames Eircom Net, and Eircom Net blames Eircom. Of course I can't get anybody to fix it. :(

Advertisement