Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some new (perhaps) info on Chorus Powernet wireless.

Options
  • 03-10-2001 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭

Dear Karl,

Many thanks for your recent enquiry. Apologies for the delay in getting back
    to you, but we have moved address and have had problems with our server,
    consequently I have only just received your message.

We will be launching our Powernet service in November or December of this
    year. It is an always on Internet service that will deliver speeds of up to
    512K. Our base station will be located on 3 Rock Mountain and will cover a
    26KM radius. As it is a wireless service we will need to complete a Line of
    Sight survey to your premises. We are also waiting to finalise pricing for
    the service. If you could please e-mail me back with your address I can get
    back to you when I have firm dates and confirm as to whether you have Line
    Of Sight.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

Linda.

Linda White
    Account Manager
    Chorus Business Services

Well, there, I just got that on Sept 21...not sure if it's new info or what...but thought it'd be helpful to post here anyway ^.^

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

nice 1 noel

I got an email Exactly like that one from Linda in February. She said i'd have powernet by july or august at the latest ... so much for that idea. At least their being more definate about their launch month now ... although i really do have serious doubts. Pity for you chorus, if eircom offer me dsl, you've lost out on business

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Oh well...we can always hope, eh?

And if the information she has given me happens to be true...well then we'll have a small-scale broadband battle between overpriced eircon and yet-to-be-announced price Chorus ^.^ which can only be good for business.

Hmmm, does anyone live near the 3 little rock mountain that could update us on any progress up there by Chorus (or anyone else for that matter).

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭kendragon

Just to let you know... i got my chorus powernet on monday last(i'm in Limerick) and I'm very happy with it so far. I needed to tweak a few of the registry settings to push up the speed and now i'm getting great performance.
    for example I went to speedtest.net and the one megabyte download test took only 13seconds

*cries* I really am turning green with envy.

Can I ask you something Ken? Is there any capping limit on this service? And how much does it cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Just to jump in there, cap at the moment seems to be 3GB and in limerick I think the price is £40 a month, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Launch in Dublin in November/December eh.. So that means they are launching in April 2002 then? I know I'm being sceptical, but after all, it is chorus!

• Advertisement

3GB?!? AH! That's just as bad as Eircon! *grimaces*

When will we EVER get a decent break? When? When? WHEN?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Three gigs may sound bad, but it's not *too* bad... I'd kill for an always on connection, just to be able to sit down and use it any time I like without having to worry about the time.

I'd be overjoyed to get powernet... I'd just make sure I monitor what I use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

ando, keep in mind that with chorus you dont pay line rental.
    Neol, the dublin cap (which i persume is what your talking about)
    will be 10gbs not 3 gbs,

Personaly id go with chorus in a heartbeat, just so i could tell eircom to go **** themselves, not to mention when you factor in all other bills like ntl, 2 line rentals and interent bills chorus works out at a fraction of the cost of eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 wormhole

Hi kendragon
    how much are you paying, you lucky begger!!!

wormhole

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

NoelRock, you'd want to update your sigfile there, it's out of date. :)

phaxx, 3 gigs is bad, it means you have to use your connection almost exactly like you would use a regular dialup connection. Like I've said already, it defeats the entire purpose of "broadband".

[Edit: Don't just take my word for it, see what [url=http://iiu.taint.org/pipermail/iiu/2001-October/002165.html]a user living with a 3GB cap has to say[/url]. Justin doesn't sound too chuffed to me.]

adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by «Bo§ton»
    Neol, the dublin cap (which i persume is what your talking about) will be 10gbs not 3 gb

woah woah, I did'nt know that :) 10GB limit... are you sure ?

if its true, you know where eircom can go ... !

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭kendragon

Hey guys, Sorry i took so long to reply back.

Yeah the details of my connection here in Limerick is

Modem and connection: £150 once off
    Software install (rip off): £48 once off

If you dont have a network card in your system thats another £80 to £100 (make sure and get a good one)

and its £40 a month after that

Pros: Always on connection, 24/7. this is great because there is no dial up you can just jump into the net whenever you want without having to worry about connecting and clockwatching.

Really fast, I dont know the tech stuff but on www.speedtest.net the one megabyte download test took only 13seconds, try it on your dialup for comparison.

No upload cap, which i assume would be cool for using webcam's and stuff

Cons 3GB download cap per month and 2p per mb after that

Expensive to start with

Chorus arent the most customer friendly company around

Well i wont know till the end of the month how bad this 3gb cap is but the way i see it, you can safely download 95mb a day and still fall well below a 3gb limit so its still a lot better than eircoms offering

«Bo§ton» where did you hear that there was going to be a 10gb limit in dublin? Are you sure this isnt the multiuser or business package? thats much more expensive per month.

Hope this helps guys, email me if you need more

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Im 35KM north of three rock Rathfarnham :(

Chorus have told me they can never offer the service as far out as Balbriggan because they say NTL have the license.

Ntl arent going to run services out that far :(

They stopped at Malahide :/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Chorus arent the most customer friendly company around

Kendragon wins the prize for Understatement of the Year.

Maybe Eircom and Chorus should get together, have children, produce a Little Hitler.

Oh hang on, they already are...

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Originally posted by ando

woah woah, I did'nt know that :) 10GB limit... are you sure ?

if its true, you know where eircom can go ... !
    well they came out and said it officaly to enn.net

dahamsta agread, but as you have said before, id love to have nothing more to do with those little ****s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

nething about Galway, and could u use the service for two computers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Hi Charlie,
    Thanks for your e-mail.At the moment Powernet is released in Limerick City
    and it will be released in Dublin within a few months and then Cork City
    will follow Dublin's release (a few months after).I have enclosed some
    information for your consideration and please note that the prices refer to
    our trial period in Limerick and they are subject to change.
    Please find enclosed Powernet information as requested.

Best regards,

Chorus.

Limerick, Dublin, Cork, SFA about any other areas. Gah.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

nething about Galway
    Chorus do not have a licence for Galway or Waterford and "parts of Dublin" dont ask which parts

Jbkenn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭R. Daneel Olivaw

Well Limerick, Dublin and Cork covers around 1.8 million people, which you've got to admit is far more than NTL can do.

Even though people whine about no availability in the countryside, the fact is that almost half of the whole country lives in Dublin.

Surely you don't also expect LUAS to arrive in Ballysmeggin first?

It's all down to the snail-like method of competition that the government has effected since 1921. We just get to follow the UK by around 5-10 years. They won't put their balls on the line because they don't have any, and this 7 years in government is a **** thing.

And why the **** is the president of out country a damn PR rep? WHy is she not on TV? Why the **** is that Aherne ****head such an idiot?

Who knows.........roll on emigration time..............

Advertisement