Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GeForce 2 : Pro Vs. GTS

• 04-10-2001 10:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭

Can somone tell me the difference between the original GTS and the Pro. Dabs has some 32MB DDR GTS's for about STG90, which looks good to me but I don't know how they relate speedwise to the current Pro and Ultra.

K

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Use the forum search feature in future. Please. Because its such an easy question, I'll answer it anyway.

GTS, PRO and ULTRA all have the same core, just at different speeds.

GTS = 200mhz core and 333mhz memory

PRO = 200mhz core and 400mhz memory

ULTRA = 250mhz core and 460 - 500mhz memory

The pro is noticeably better, but if the gts is much cheaper, well just get it and overclock the memory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

Thanks Gerry,

The search function doesn't accept three letter search terms so I hadn't much luck with it. I'd tried the web too but there was a lot of confusion about terms. I found a good article compairing the pro and the ultra - so I was sorted there - but I saw the pro refered to several times as the "gts pro" which made me wonder if there was any difference between them at all.

Anyhow, not lack of effort just lack of success. :)

K

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Just on a side-note, is the GTS 32MB still better than the MX 64MB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

im pretty sure insaying that any gts 0wns the proverbial pants off any mx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

indeed it does. There isn't even much difference between the 32mb gts and 64mb, and that is at higher resolutions. In short, don't buy an mx.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

/me got GTS 32mb DDr and is a happy camper.

nice card, nice drivers, nice games :)

everything looks great (cept win2k dont supprt the Motion compensation) /me reverts back to windows ME......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Motion compensation? Never heard of that in relation to a video card... what is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Jester

how come a gf3 has core of 200mhz and its always been proclaimed as the best of the best when an ultra has a clock speed of 250mhz?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Afaik, motion compensation is a hardware dependent process used in DVD playback to give better image quality. Or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

cos an athlon 1.4 wipes the floor with a p4 1.5

the gef3 does more per megahert than the gef2, better chip (more per megahert includes the memory controller ;))

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

Well, thanks for all the advice guys. Ibroke open the piggy bank and went for a 32MB DDR GTS from Dabs. I'm happy, and impatient. :)

K

Advertisement