Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

over clocking athlon and celeron

• 18-01-2000 4:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭

right looking for info about oc my athlon and if i end up getting one a celeron . how mutch could i safely oc the athlon 700 any ids ??? thx lads and ladies

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

I've heard of 800's being oc'ed to 1000 but damit I forget the name of the company who did it I'll have a look now.

bye for now
    Baz

Nope can't find it though at a completely uneducated guess I would say 800 to 850

bye for now
    Baz

kryotech thats the company www.kryotech.com

bye for now
    Baz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭Coyler

athlons can be oc quite well but it requires the cpu to be physically altered.So if you want to weild a smoldering iron at your athlon it can be done other wise there isnt much to do. The cerelons on the other hand are a piece of **** to oc.Especially the lower clocked cerely.They have lomer multipliers you see.I believe if you can get your hand on one the 300mhz can be oc to 500mhz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

Not completely true...

I've overclocked my celeron 400 to 450 without using any extra special cooling, and sould be able to get it to 500 if I put in a better fan and heatsink.

Celeron 433s and 466s seem to be fairly overclockable too.

Check out http://www.sysopt.com/overc.html, the survey is interesting and comprehensive...

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭Gerry

The L2 cache on the athlons is
    the limiting factor because it is not
    on chip. A 700 will not go past 750
    without mods to the chip to change
    the l2 cache divisor. ie to oc the
    chip while not ocing the cache. if you
    did this then maybe 900 or more but you
    would need serious cooling and a top
    quality power supply

btw, Sutty ordered an athlon overclocking
    card from america for £50 all in.
    this lets you set the multiplier and voltage
    without soldering. He has a 550 and there
    are reports of most of them going to 700
    750. I'll tell him to let you all know how
    he gets on

also dont buy a 700 unless you have serious money to burn. most of the 500's
    and 550s are going to 700 plus BECAUSE THEY HAVE THE SAME CORE AS THE

god i'm a nerd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Go to Overclockers.co.uk.

They sell pretty cheap gold-finger cards (plugs onto the top of your Athlon and lets you overclock without having to modify the chip (Beyond removing the plastic casing)). You can use the FSB to overclock on some boards(Like the ASus K7m), but it's not a very stable way to do it with SlotA systems.

The L2 cache is normally at 1/2 clock, SlotA motherboards should automatically drop you to 1/3 when you go 750 and beyond. There is a Beta floating around of a Util to let you bump the cache back up the 1/2 mark.
    A 750 with 1/3 cache will barely outperform a 700@1/2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

what about overclocking a pII400?
    i have a dell system and for the bloody life of me i cant figure out how to do it. but it appears that the clock can only go to x4 by 100mhz front bus is 400...which of course is what my cpu is.
    is there any other way of doing it coz i have never done it and really dont have a clue!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Celeron 400 can easily o/c to 500 if you've got a decent m/b, graphics card and memory. Have my celeron 400 running at 500 without any extra cooling or the like and haven't had a problem for 5 months now.

WW, chances are it's an Intel board. They have no overclocking options at all.....
    Since you said you never tried , here are the basics (Sorry, don't mean to be patronising).

CPu speed = FSB (Motherboard) x Clock Multiplier (CPU).
    400Mhz = 100Mhz x 4 (Which you seem to already know)

Intel have locked the multipliers on their CPU's since about the 300 PII. So the only way to overclock is to have a motherboard that lets you manually specify the FSB (Abits and the newer Soyo/Asus boards have this feature (To name a few, have a look at Anandtech.com for more)).
    Eg.
    112x4 = 448Mhz

This will raise some problems of it's own. The FSB also controls the RAM,AGP bus and PCI bus speeds:
    AGP = 2/3(FSB) = .66(100) = 66Mhz
    (133 effectively for AGP2x)
    PCI = 1/3(FSB) = .33(100) = 33Mhz
    RAM = 1(FSB) = 1(100) = 100Mhz

So if you boost the FSB you also boost the data rate of these Buses. This can be a good thing for video cards, giving them all that nice extra bandwidth....But not all cards will take the strain. I've found Voodoo2/3's to be the most stable (up to a 25% FSB overclock).
    Eg.
    112x4 = 448 Mhz
    PCI = .33(112) = 37Mhz
    AGP = .66(112) = 74Mhz or 148Mhz (AGP2x)

Also your Ram comes into play, the higher you run over the limit the more prone you are to RAM errors.

What can you do?

If you overclock your FSB, try reducing any overclock you have on your Video Cards clock, and cooling it more efficiently.

For the RAM, see if you can set the CAS letency in your MBD Bios (You can on Abits/Asus anyway). Decent Pc100 should operate at CAS2 at 100Mhz, drop it to 3 if you're having problems - this will slow down memory access a little, but increase it's maximum bandwidth (100Mhz FSb = 800Mb/s, 112=896Mb/s). It's a trade off....

Overclocked system posts but locks part way into windows..... Increase your cooling. Increase the Core voltage of the CPu by .1 increments until it's stable (Dont go beyond about 10% of the original)(Like turning up the signal strength, but this will increase the heat) - (Again ABIt MBD's have this feature, you'd have to check on the others)

Doesn't Post....WHoops, just hit your limit. Reset the FSB (Might be a Key you can hold on Boot, or just clear the NV-Ram)...Without a very expensive cooling system you aren't getting past this limit.....

The Big thing is COOLING. I Have 9 fans in my PC, 2 for extraction and the others for the Vid card (3), Hard Drives (2), and CPU (2).
    There's a pretty good all-in-one kit available from Overclockers.co.uk. The Twin-Turbo Bay cooler is probably the best thing you can add to your system.

Is it worth the extra cash?
    Well, most of this cooling equipment should be useful for each new upgrade you get, so you dont just have to match the cost against this one overclocked component....
    I bought most of that stuff for the old Celeron and Voodoo3, and now have it keeping an Athlon 500@700 and Geforce DDR @ 150 from toasting.
    Well worth the money.

You'd never guess I was Bored Sh*tless.....

[This message has been edited by _CreeD_ (edited 28-01-2000).]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

hmmmmm someone knows a **** load about this subject could he be the fountian of knowlage ive been searching for to solve my probs

Could you be being sarcastic....?...
    Kidding.

Have you got the goldfinger card yet?

now that creed, was about the most useful bit of info ive heard all day.
    cant say i ever went into the study of overclocking much purely coz i couldnt be arsed to read 25 pages of junk...had the basics, but youve cleared it up a lot. cheers.
    im fairly sure its an intel motherboard and top clock ratio is 4, so, its down to voltage i guess. plus i have a vood003 2000 with thee overclocker program, but i never could be arsed to use it purely coz i dont want to fry the thing and i dont have a cooling fan for the yoke!

oh, and as for being bored sh1tless, now you know how i feel...and why i post so many stupid and meaningless posts...the joys of nothing better to do in work smile.gif

Ah well..... If you get a new MBD, Abit (as you may have guessed) being your best choice, you should be able to overclock your CPU at least a little.

I'd try overclocking the V3 anyway. I've never damaged a component overclocking it (Just blew up a P-III making a mess of cutting the heatsink off, the problem was the 'Cutting' factor, still it makes a nice mantlepiece ornament). It'll jam if it gets too hot/unstable, just reboot and change it back. Or go in in safe mode and have a look at the 3dfx section for the clock rate (I cant remember where it is but the easiest way to find out is to set the clock with your O/Clock util, then search the registry for that exact number - If it crashes so quickly on each boot you can't get to the util to undo it, just use safe mode and edit this value back to normal. You would have to do this if you use the Util that adds itself to the Advanced Display properties, as these won't show up in safe mode). The 2000's are supposed to be great overclockers, a lot of them will make it up to 166Mhz (Get a 3000 for less.....).

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Sonic

ok but urself a quite vicious cooling unit for £30 no peltier they are to expensive , u can quite easily get a 400 celery to 600 with one of the "alpha killers"

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Sonic

and wwman the realistic maximum u can get a PII400 to is 618 with some impressive cooling

im not really looking for the max, just somewheree about the 450-500 mark..bit if i have to buy cooling fans and new motherboards it'll be a wait until ive the cash.
    anyway, my beautiful pc is 1 year old today smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 nosox

Happy Birth day to your PC. lol

Hmmmm.....618 at a 4x multiplier would be 154.6 Mhz FSB....I don't think so, unless you want to buy VERY expensive and ultra reliable PC-133 ram and have components that are happy to run at a 54% bus overclock. This is the type of thing folks with ridiculously expensive rigs get just to prove that they can.

Also the Deschutes core starts getting bumpy at 500-600 anyway. Hence Intel's relatively low yields.

Forcing a Celeron to 100Mhz is not always possible regardless of the cooling involved. You're pushing your cache up to that speed, which is most likely the main problem. The closer you go to the Core limits the less likely it is to work. (That's why it was easy to get a 300-450, but not a 400-600, it's the same overclock ratio but you're pushing the components too close to the line). It MIGHT work, chances are no. But most celery's will at least run at 83Mhz FSB (And newer boards have smaller jump increments between there and 100 now, so you may get it higher . You used to have to jump straight from 83-100).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Terance

I overclocked my Dell from 333 to 400mhz using SoftFSB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

where can u get softfsb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Vincent

go to www.tweak3d.net has loads of files there includin SoftFSB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

you will be lucky if your p2-400 goes to 500 without extra cooling

but i should be able to clock a pII 400 to 450 without cooling if i use this soft fsb thingy should i ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

wwman if you are going to oc you comp I'd put extra cooling in just in case or get a better cup heatsink/fan. softfsb is good and is a good way to oc your comp but to make sure it runs ok you sould run your comp at a 100% cpu load for a day or at the least 12 hours if it dose not crash then your ok. if you find that some programs crash when you load them you may need to change volts on the cpu but make sure you dont go to hi and burn out your cpu, try the next highist to your current setting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

btw.. if you want a app that will run a 100% cup load you can find it at the following address.

http://www.ocshoot.com

im sure with all the crap on y system i should be able to load up about 25 different apps and leave em running for a while.
    hmm, maybe i ought to get house insurance...or fire insurance anyway smile.gif

Your Imps Demand cable....

Advertisement