Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've been contacted by Eircom regarding Errorcom.com

Options
  • 04-10-2001 11:00am
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've been contacted by Eircom and asked (quite politely) to give them the contact details of the person behind the errorcom.com
    site or contact them on their behalf.

I've told them I dont know who is responsible (true) and that
    if I DID know I wouldnt tell them (also true).

For legal reasons I cant paste their mail here, but I *can* paste mine.

No, I dont know, we have no involvement or part in this though
    apparently the person involved is a Boards.ie visitor.

However if I *did* know ... I wouldnt tell you.

Thank you for your interest.

Tom Murphy
    Boards.ie

Stay tuned, this one is gonna run and run...

DeV.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

and the saga continues... hehe. good one tom. P45.net has lined the gem that is errorcom.com here

adnans

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Keep an eye on ILUG-Social, there's a lot of mails bouncing around on the subject, have a look at:

http://www.linux.ie/pipermail/social/2001-October/thread.html (sorted by thread, look at "My favorite telco" mails)

http://www.linux.ie/pipermail/social/2001-October/date.html (sorted by date obviously enough).

Interesting --> http://www.linux.ie/pipermail/social/2001-October/001901.html
    Yesterday, around the time the site went down, I contacted the owner and
    asked why it had come down and if he minded mirroring. I received an
    answer this morning. I'm not going to include the entire response
    here, just the highlights.

visiting a friend...borrowed his dads credit card...This morning...his dad...call from eircom saying the site was very "offensive" and that
    they "will be taken further action". I want to arrange it re launch the site...I don't want my mate to get into
    trouble...As for posting mirrors of the site, thanks for the offer, but can I please ask you and your friends to sit still on it for a week or so until I get everything sorted.

Mods feel free to remove above quote if the site author requests.

Al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭spanner_head

why don't they have a sense of humour?

Do they not realise that if they kick up over this people will hate them even more that before - if thats possible!!!

The site I have to say is really witty.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Nasty - fluck 'em - nothing on that site is untrue (well, maybe a little).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

If this confirms anything...It is that:

The IrelandOFFline Board is being monitored by €ircoN.

So here I go....

Hello €ircoN,
    Why not lighten up? What do expect when you have treated customers so badly for yonks(thats the nicey nice version of events:p). Maybe if you paid a little more attention to the invaluable market research the members of IrelandOffline are proving on these boards we could all be buddies and not be so hostile to one another. Most every major company worldwide has had sites poking fun at their business and most laugh it off.- Maybe you should TOO:)

yours sincerely 80p.

BTW Tom/DeVore Good on Ya;)
    and of course to the developer of errorcom...such a LOL site;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

Well done DeV. You're not the type to be easily imtimidated, I feel. :)

I'm glad to see that this site ranckles them. They usually appear impervious to public opinion.

I sincerely doubt that their copyright has been infringed in anyway by this site. They might claim that it's libelous though. I'd imagine that there has to some protection under the law for parody and satire. Perhaps some legal eagle out there might know?

Perhaps a person could even could set up a limited company and host the site in the company's name. If they persisted with legal threats you could simply represent yourself in court, appeal to the judge's sense of fair play. If you lost, declare the company bankrupt. I think that would work and it wouldn't cost any more that setting up the company. Mind you, I'd like professional legal advice before embarking on such a course.

K

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Shad0r

plyd, plyd and plyd.

Eirc0n brought it on themselves and deservedly so imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Well done DeV, - I still get a "Directory listing denied" page, when trying to visit www.errorcom.com, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

To the Eircom people monitoring this board

What sort of evil brain damaged Nazi B*s*a*d* are you? Despite yourselves you have ensured that this board is mirrored several times over and many more people will see it

Who or what do you think you are? How dare you attempt to deny peoples rights to free comment and expression. You obviously think that having the money (which you got from us) to hire battalions of lawyers gives you the right to do as you please.

Why do you think you can behave like some little fascist police state? If people like me disliked you before we loathe you now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭muchos_bongo

Pork99> How stupid are you? It's an obvious copyright infringment. I don't necessarily agree with the current timeframes for rollout of broadband in Ireland but Eircom as a company have the right to do business without infringment of their corporate logos and brands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

Originally posted by muchos_bongo
    but Eircom as a company have the right to do business without infringment of their corporate logos and brands.

Such as?

a man dressed as a mouse?

Maybe someone should tip off Disney's lawyers....

1. Copyright does not cover quoting material for review purposes (ok this was not a review but its in a similar area)

2. The errorcom logo is as much copyright infringement as eircoms own logo which looks suspiciously like that of a pre-existing American telecom company.

3. It is a obvious satire, which in any democracy people have the right to do. muchos_bongo you seem to have the same mentality as Charles Haughey who in the 1980s used the threat of legal action to restrict the distribution of "Private Eye" magzine in this country because as we all know now they told the truth about him.

4. It is an obvious satire. You could never ever mistake it for an official eircom site. I'm no expert but wheres the copyright infringement there?

5. Are you from Eircom's monitoring crew, muchos_bongo?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

It's an obvious copyright infringment.

Looks like a parody to me.

If I rip off Eircom's graphics etc. and use them in an attempt to suggest that my product or service is endorsed by Eircom, that's copyright infringement, or more likely trademark infringement.

Put it this way: if Martyn Turner (www.ireland.com/cartoons/turner) decided to do an Eircom cartoon, and used a similar "claw" device (albeit with a different part of the anatomy!), do you think Eircom would have sent in the lawyers to the Irish Times?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Pork99> How stupid are you? It's an obvious copyright infringment.
    That is a matter for the courts to decide.
    I don't necessarily agree with the current timeframes for rollout of broadband in Ireland but Eircom as a company have the right to do business without infringment of their corporate logos and brands.
    Nobody is stopping them using the 'claw' logo.

Well muchos_bongo check these out

http://www.twtelecom.com

http://www.eircom.ie

View them side-by-side* Take your time. Enjoy.

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone" as I believe it says in the good book (The Blue Peter Annual 1981 I think)

(*I am endebted to whoever pointed out how alike these logos are in a post on this board about 3-4 months ago)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Wow never saw that before (must have been sleeping). *evil thoughts* Has any helpful soul here contacted Time Warner? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Chief

Jaysus!.. Blatant aint the word for it!....

ripofflogo.gif

"LOSE me.. Hate me.. SMASH me..
    ERASE me.. KILL me.."

nine inch nails - eraser

|Chief|...

cfx.gif

Originally posted by pork99
    5. Are you from Eircom's monitoring crew, muchos_bongo?

No I am not. Paranoia may be healthy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

im sure, somewhere in dublin, a graphic designer is shaking in his/her boots.

adnans

Originally posted by adnans
    im sure, somewhere in dublin, a graphic designer is shaking in his/her boots.

adnans

Aren't they the reason we need broadband anyway? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 pmccourt

Ones blue and the others Orange!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Ah well, just hang about.. Eircom won't be around in 2 weeks time :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

lol. lol. lol.
    I remember I had to ring DeVore over a little hiccup before and Eventually I got a "nicety" from him...
    Eircom didn´t.
    Well played.
    I´m enjoying my dutch DSL line - it aint mine but im enjoying it, i hope you lads will soon.
    Fisty (the cock).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by OJ
    Ah well, just hang about.. Eircom won't be around in 2 weeks time :)

ehhh?

What is it you know that we don't that could cause a company like that to wind up in 2 weeks???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Bard, i think hes talking about the fact that eircom should be under new ownership within a matter of weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by Bard

What is it you know that we don't that could cause a company like that to wind up in 2 weeks???

Its all these errorcom mirrors you see.. they get rid of one and thirty more appear out of nowhere.. must be driving all the eircom execs mental.. so presumably in 2 weeks time they will have all committed themselves to various funny farms and psycho wards. Thats the overall plan anyway, or so it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

De Vore I can't understand why they contacted you as there are other much easier ways of getting the contact details of the genius who put the site up.

Anyway, thankfully, because there are so many mirrors up now they would only be wasting their time. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

De Vore I can't understand why they contacted you as there are other much easier ways of getting the contact details of the genius who put the site up.

Actually there aren't - the WHOIS information appears to be fake, and the site is hosted by Interland in the US, where free speech is much more important to citizens and businesses aren't keen to invade users privacy.

Anyway, thankfully, because there are so many mirrors up now they would only be wasting their time. :)

The wise thing to do now is to keep the head down, but Eircom are far from wise.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭smokin' an'chewin' man

Pork99> How stupid are you? It's an obvious copyright infringment. I don't necessarily agree with the current timeframes for rollout of broadband in Ireland but Eircom as a company have the right to do business without infringment of their corporate logos and brands.

I don't see ANY court coughing up an injunction. The logo is marginally similar if anything and there doesn't seem to be any mention of Eircom on the site.
    There's nothing abusive or threatening - just very original satire.

With no mention of Eircom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Digi_Tilmitt

Let them send their warnings, more publicity for the cause.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement