Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've been contacted by Eircom regarding Errorcom.com

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Eircom haven't a leg to stand on concerning copyright issues.

It's parody and any similarity to Eircom's own corporate branding comes under the heading of fair use.

They could, of course, cause legal hassle, but it wouldn't get them anywhere... And if you've got a whole pile of people hosting mirrors, it's not exactly going anywhere at ALL. The US government and recording industry can't keep the DeCSS source down, I somehow doubt Eircom (a company which for years was incapable of installing ISDN lines without píssing about for six months) are capable of shutting down an easily mirrored website.

If they can't accept criticism and parody - and apparently they can't - that's their problem, because it isn't about to go away any time soon, and this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Rob

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Heh, maybe if we *all* put up mirrors, €ircon could sue the lot of us, and we could have our next public meeting in the Four Goldmines, at €ircon's expense! :)

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭ekehoe

Just to let y'all know, I've a friend who is a barrister up at the Four Courts, and she's asking around up there what the legal implications are. Once I hear back from her, I'll post her opinions on here...

E

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 IKiigan

Originally posted by dahamsta

Actually there aren't - the WHOIS information appears to be fake, and the site is hosted by Interland in the US, where free speech is much more important to citizens and businesses aren't keen to invade users privacy.

Hmm you clearly aren't aware of DMCA then. That kinda ****s all over their glorious First Amendment.

Ian

Hmm you clearly aren't aware of DMCA then. That kinda ****s all over their glorious First Amendment.

Ah, someone must have told you how much I love being patronised, eh?

Yes, I'm very much aware of the DMCA, however that relates to completely different issues, primarily the circumvention of copyright protection systems. So unless by some odd course of events the specific "Ireland By The Bollocks" logo was compiled directly into a closed source application, or perhaps encrypted into a propriety format only accessible by a closed source application, and of course copyrighted to Eircom, it has absolutely no bearing in this instance.

I trust this clarifies my understanding of the DMCA.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 IKiigan

Don't get your knickers in a twist, Adam. My point was simply to point out that the US's self-perception of their great freedom of speech isn't all it's cracked up to be. The point was off-topic anyway.

I don't think I was being patronising.

My, aren't we testy ...

Ian

Awww I hurt dahamsta's feelings

Patronising.

Don't get your knickers in a twist, Adam.

Patronising.

My, aren't we testy ...

Patronising.

I don't think I was being patronising.

You mightn't think you were, or you mightn't have intended to, but you were. Or at least I perceived you as being patronising, and I'm sure many others would too. The written word is difficult to work with when it comes to expressing emotion, or attitude, therefore it should be used with care. Something like "What about the DMCA?" would have been much more appropriate.

My point was simply to point out that the US's self-perception of their great freedom of speech isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Speaking personally - and this is not an attempt at a flame - I disagree with what you're saying, or more particularly the way you phrase it. For the most part, Americans are much more proud of their Constitution than other countries, including Ireland. More importantly, they're much more aware of the rights guaranteed under their Constitution, in particular Free Speech.

You're right in what you're really trying to say though (gah! now you have me at it!) in that their perception of the facts related to those rights is not particularly accurate. They use a particularly broad definition of free speech. But then so does the legal system quite often, for example the hate sites which proliferate in the US, some of which I genuinely believe should be removed.

The point was off-topic anyway

Sure it was, but that's half the fun of it, eh?

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭CoNfOuNd

This is a very interesting thread. I agree with oscarBravo and I don't think Eircom have any rights in this case.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

From the immortal words of Star Wars:

"Stay on target.... stay on target!!"

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭R. Daneel Olivaw

And also in keeping with Star Wars and the new meaning of ADSL:

"Almost there......almost there......"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Oops... Double-post, please delete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Just a quick note to say that there's another mirror of errorcom up at:

http://www.avara.utvinternet.ie/

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Note to errorcom: Do what you must to take this down, but please note that if you do, there will be 30 more to take its place. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

http://www.eircon.net/
    Wow, that already gone
    They have there ways.. lol

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 729 ✭✭✭popinfresh

Eircom, have sunk to a new low, (previosly thought to be impossible). How can them stupid thick cúnts live with themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

hehe more publicity

just a few IT ppl in holland, germany, norway, peru, NZ, uk, HK know about THAT site now :):)

just playing my bit....

ooops....can £ircon be possibly offended at that ?....LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭P R O F A N I T Y

ive posted it at every site i go to, theres quiet afew confused americans out there now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

I've just come back from the canaries. While there i had an interesting little conversation with a girl from dublin who worked with eircom up until last week or there abouts. Apparently she was under employment with eircom for over a year, but eircom wouldn't offer her a permanent contract. They (presumably) have had to employ someone new to replace her who has had over a year's experience.

So it seems that it isn't just we the consumers who are being done over...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 disConnected

Hehe, that parody is really funny...
    Fair play to the creator, to all people who mirror it and to DeVore for not bending under Eircom's pressure...

Will do my part and post the link on to my friends. :p
    Hey you guys at Eircom! Why are you upset all for a sudden?
    Just look back at the very recent history to see what an unfair player in the telecommunications market you have been. So how do you expect from people to treat you with silk gloves???
    If you would have treated your customers (and shareholders) with some respect the above mentioned site would probably not be in existence at all.
    Here my suggestion: Instead of threatening people - what about an excuse for all the crap the customers have had to take from you? And what about an honest promise to change to the better???

disConnected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 wormhole

a chap put up a site called www.crappytire.com
    to poke fun at the Canadian tire company, they tried to take
    his domain by going to WIPO saying "crappy tire why thats a
    term of affection our customers use for us so we should have this
    domain" dont be suprised if eircom attempt the same thing.

if you want to see how it turned out The Register
    (the font of all knowledge) has the full story
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/archive/20197.html

www.crappytire.com no longer works so presumably he woke
    up with a horses head next him ;-)

wormhole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 wormhole

a chap put up a site called www.crappytire.com
    to poke fun at the Canadian tire company, they tried to take
    his domain by going to WIPO saying "crappy tire why thats a
    term of affection our customers use for us so we should have this
    domain" dont be suprised if eircom attempt the same thing.

if you want to see how it turned out The Register
    (the font of all knowledge) has the full story
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/archive/20197.html

www.crappytire.com no longer works so presumably he woke
    up with a horses head next him ;-)

wormhole

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Ok not that i have a clue about anything but;

1. Isn't Errorcom just a parody of real life events;
    therefore theres no reason for it to be taken down.
    We have a right to parody!!!

2. I dont understand why eircom think the website (or websites)
    are deflammertory(?) towards the company, as 90% of the stuff on the website is based on facts. The exaggerations could be removed. Not that theres many.

3. There is also no reason why we couldn't put up a website
    that isn't a parody, but explains in detail the situation at Eircom.
    Make sure everything on the website is completely true.
    They can't stop freedom of speech. Especially if it's true!
    And they definatly cant stop us complaining

4. And whatever emails you receive are your property and can
    be shown to anyone you want. There is no legal reason why you
    couldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭R. Daneel Olivaw

Very true, as it's no more inflammatory than an Onion article in reality. Sure, they don't like it because it's hitting close to home, but:

a) Do they have a track record of fast ISDN installation times?
    b) Has ADSL arrived on time, or has it indeed as their own employees will tell you, always been delayed slightly longer (even when after the official final release date of October 2nd....for whatever reason, it's just always been delayed).

c) The logo is clearly different. There is one sphere in the Eircom logo, and two in the Errorcom logo. They would have a hard job proving that the site is not a parody (and thus infringing on copyright law), and that the logo is meant to be a replica of the Errorcom one.

There are more, but having an area for "real" information such as how many times they have delayed ADSL, FRIACO, etc., over the years and the increasing prices and reducing services in a fact-based site wouldn't be a half bad idea.

"The police cars are getting closer, closer to our soul-hero in his soul-mobile........."?

Another arguement that may* appear is
    Eircom could say that "If it dosen't say Eircom on the page,
    how come boards.ie people seem to know who it is targeted at,
    copyright infringment of logo, brand names.....blah..blah boll*x"

Cause the content is so true to life, how could it *NOT* be Eircom

hopefully it does

hehe nice sig
    GNR - breakdown or
    Vanishing point

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Originally posted by Chief
    Jaysus!.. Blatant aint the word for it!....

ripofflogo.gif

Indeed. If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, look ye no farther than Kazakhstan:

kazakhtelecomlogo.gif (http://www.telecom.kz)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by Yoda

ripofflogo.gif
    kazakhtelecomlogo.gif

ah... so the Telecomm's market is all a load of balls then? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

Originally posted by Yoda
    Indeed. If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, look ye no farther than Kazakhstan:

they probably have ADSL already :(

adnans

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭hudson806

Originally posted by adnans

they probably have ADSL already :(

Incredibly enough, they do! Not sure how widely available it is yet, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Ah I just remembered this one...

logo_homepage2.gif

What IS it with telecomms companies and balls, eh?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭P R O F A N I T Y

its to represent globalism. You know, telecoms, connecting people everywere.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement