Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mirror Mirror on the wall....

Options
  • 04-10-2001 12:20pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've been made aware of these mirrors:

http://www.erinselbow.com/errorcom/ http://www.elfchild.com/errorcom/
    http://www.thegreenbacks.com/errorcom/

I think we should start a list of mirrors here, I dislike bully boy tactics and I've no problem telling them where to stick their lawyers. If enough people mirrored it, they cant pressure us all.

Does anyone know a friendly lawyer who can confirm what I understand: That satire is still legal in this country and theres nothing illegal about this content?

post any other mirrors here.

ps: Try to avoid Boards members space, not because I dont want it hosted there, but because this board is the nervous centre of the resistance movement, and I dont want to give them *any* opportunity to force us off the air. Once we get legal all clear, I dont care after that.

I didnt start it, I didnt throw the first punch and they involved me in this. That said, I like a good fight :)

DeVore.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Well them is fighting words.

I wonder do they realise they have upset the WRONG person.

Just as an idea for Ireland Offline I think the blackout day is a good idea but would it be possible to start a boycott of eircom.net as this would hurt more. At about £15 per month per person you could start to make them listen a bit harder since they are losing customers and money with a full scale boycott.

Any way I'll have my mirror
    http://www.kealan.com/errorcom/
    backup after lunch hopefully.

viva la resistance :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Zefren

hehehehehe....just watch my logs for access's within eircom address space. and a traceroute back to one, went thru eircom-it-rtr.edge3.cra.dublin.eircom.net.

Am guessing thats eircom internal IT?

Big brother is watching :-)

Zef

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I cheated:

Alias /errorcom /home/users/abeecher/web/errorcom

http://iewebs.com/errorcom/
    http://corkslang.com/errorcom/
    http://foot.ie/errorcom/

:)

adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Do you think it would be appropriate for IrelandOFFLine to host a mirror under their domain?

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Chief

Mirror up:

http://www.cfxdesign.net/errorcom/

"LOSE me.. Hate me.. SMASH me..
    ERASE me.. KILL me.."

nine inch nails - eraser

|Chief|...

cfx.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭ekehoe

Originally posted by Bard
    Do you think it would be appropriate for IrelandOFFLine to host a mirror under their domain?

I know I'm going to hear howls about this, but I think that IrelandOffline should not mirror the site as an organization. However, the individual members of IrelandOffline (as well as committee members) should feel free to take personal action of some kind regarding Errorcom. This is all my opinion, of course :-).

Oh, and to Mr. Errorcom...you rock. We all stand behind you 100%, as you can see :-).

E

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

As far as I can remember, isn't irelandoffline.com hosted by boards? I wouldn't host a mirror under a domain you couldn't afford to lose for a short period of time (hosting company could shut it down in a knee jerk reaction).

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by ekehoe

I know I'm going to hear howls about this, but I think that IrelandOffline should not mirror the site as an organization. E

Agreed: IrelandOffline has earned a reputation as a credible and reputable lobby group. Anything that could be used to taint that is to be avoided.

[Edit: DeVore, the preview function is broken!]

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

A couple of people are having trouble with the site loading up without images, here's why:

The problem is with case-sensitivity - the IMG tags on the original site - and so in the zipfile - referenced '$image.GIF', but the actual filename was '$image.gif'. On Windows, this will work fine, because Windows is case insensitive, however on Linux it won't, because Linux is a much cleverer system. :)

The solution is simple - download the tarball from here and use that instead. Tarballs will unzip fine with Winzip and most compression/archival apps, so you shouldn't have any other problems.

Thanks to everyone who mirrored by the way. I'm a little concerned about the original developers and Eircom's attitude towards them, but there are wider issues here that are much more important.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Ok DeV. is response to the legal question:

[BTW- I'm writing this from, Roebuck Castle- The UCD Law Faculty]

Just talked to a criminal law lecturer and barrister of mine (I wont name him but hes quite famous) about the site:

In terms of libel: The obvious defence is "Fair Comment" and for a variety of reasons this would hold firm, not to mention eircoms recent track record on service and the implementation of ADSL.

There would perhaps be problems re: Intellectuall Property and perhaps the similairty of logo in relation to trademark infringement. (as per legal advice in question) Having said that there would be enough of a difference to obviate any liability, and defend oneself in this regard.

Overall, if Eircom want to instigate proceedings, taking on board the advice I have received, they might as well burn £100k now because they'll be wasting that in legal fees;)

This is just a rough summisation of the facts so dont rely too heavily on it.

BTW The lecturer in question could be seen visibly smirking when, I sent him to one of the mirrors-;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Originally posted by ekehoe

I know I'm going to hear howls about this, but I think that IrelandOffline should not mirror the site as an organization. However, the individual members of IrelandOffline (as well as committee members) should feel free to take personal action of some kind regarding Errorcom. This is all my opinion, of course :-).

Oh, and to Mr. Errorcom...you rock. We all stand behind you 100%, as you can see :-).

E

(Not that I'm a commi-tea member or anything, just an interested party) but I agree with that fella. Why not just put up a page with links to each and every mirror? That would be funny :)

Al.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Shad0r

Thanks for sorting that Adam, much obliged.

The mirror I was trying to put up earlier is now live:

http://208.56.141.85/errorcom/

It would be funny if someone mirrored it on some eircom.net webspace:p

neone got any spare space they'd like to donate to the cause??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

i like to take this moment to remind all the members (1000 +) that you all have free webspace, a minimun of 10mbs, with either eircom, esat, ntl, oceanfree what every isp your on, and you can mirror this site easy enough. which i will do either tomorrow or saturday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

What a stonkingly funny idea... imagine the annoyance... they'd have to *host* their own parody... oh god, I wish I had an eircom account...

In other stuff: Ekehoe. No objection here.
    IOFFL is too well respected to be up to this stuff. Boards.ie on the other hand already has a reputation :)

I told you I couldnt get involved with IOFFL because our modus operandi would clash.

PLEASE NOTE: I did NOT create this site. I may have unwittingly inspired the author with an image I did a while ago but if this were my work, believe me I'd have been self-promoting like crazy :)

I dont know who it is though I received a mail today from him explaining why its down and a few other things (via hushmail).

btw I'd think this is a scream. theres what, 30 mirrors now... feel the power of the internet Eircom, I'd like to see you bully us all now, even I couldnt track down all these people lol.

DeV.

Dev I'm still in UCD, but when I get home to my own PC I'll have a search to see if I can find those FTP setttings for the €ircom a/c I have.

I presume everyone else is just saving the entire site to disk and then uploading to their webspace?? I presume this is the most logical thing to do ?? Or could I say : save as / ftplocations like in word??

I give it a go when I get home neway;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

See if can you register free webspace with eircomnet and put up a mirror of the site? Anyone want to look into scripting it with random usernames etc? just as a backup in case you lost it :)

lol now that would be funny :)

Note that I am not in any way or form suggesting a denial of service - that is not a wise thing to do and would be robbing us of what little service they currently provide.

Al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Has anybody thought to start writing up some new stuff for the site, like a section on local calls, and call waiting.
    A good section would be one devoted to holding back the irish people, with sub scetions like. 1) step one sell the monoploy half way through this mess and start again.
    2) spend 6 months deciding what equipment to use for you imaginer services
    3) downgrade network as fast as you can, 1895 is just to new age and avanced for irish foke.
    4) invest millions in making people think they allready have the services.
    ect

ill tell you what ill write something up and shoot it off to you

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I'd love to see the letter Eircom would write to Esat to take down errorcom mirrors hosted by esat users. I'd love to see Esat's response too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

Originally posted by Trojan
    See if can you register free webspace with eircomnet and put up a mirror of the site?

Eircom's TOS:

4.4 Customers may not use eircom net's services to engage in activities which waste eircom net's resources (people, networks, computers and financial). :rolleyes:

4.7 Customers may not use eircom net's services to create, host or transmit material,which is designed to cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety to others. :o

4.9 Customers may not use eircom net's services to create, host or transmit material, which infringes the copyright of another person or organisation. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Shad0r

Originally posted by DeVore
    What a stonkingly funny idea... imagine the annoyance... they'd have to *host* their own parody... oh god, I wish I had an eircom account...

Chances are that they would delete it as soon as they found out I reckon.

That said...if everybody that uses boards.ie and also has eircom web space stuck it up....heh..now that would be funny...

Anybody know where I can find the a/c details of my €ircoN webspace and the FTP settings??

I cant find the original mail I got about 3 yrs ago.

I cant see anywhere on the site where I can do a ....

"Forgot password/username- emailed to me"

ARRRGHHHH!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

as deliciously ironic as was intended, one of my mirrors is at

http://homepage.eircom.net/~rymus/

(I shouldnt think this one will last too long once eircon see it:))
    the other is at

http://www.carrigdhoun.com/errorcom/

"Fight the power"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭pertinax

I'd say you have to phone them up and ask them to give you it.

Advertisement