Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over fishing noticed.

Options
  • 04-10-2001 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

While fishing this year and last I noticed a diminishing catch, which I think is to do with over fishing in the Atlantic. Has anyone else noticed this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

People have noticed a lot less mackerel recently.
    On the South Coast (Wexford anyway ) there seems to be more codling and schoolie bass about. it is worrying though how the lack of mackerel may affect the food chain..

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Digi_Tilmitt

I blame the big trawlers catching tons of fish. They are gonna wipe out all the fish and wreak up the food chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

i have to ask angling thread????

Angling, Fishing they are practicly the same. And by the way I'm on the West Coast and the Mackerel catch has been rubish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Nero

What's wrong with having and Angling thread Giblet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Terran

Who's the moderator of the Angling Forum? It's not very popular, is it.

I think the human race should be eliminated to allow Nature to take back what is rightfully theirs, the World.

This would fairly help the fish stocks.

Originally posted by Terran
    Who's the moderator of the Angling Forum? It's not very popular, is it.

I think the human race should be eliminated to allow Nature to take back what is rightfully theirs, the World.

This would fairly help the fish stocks.

The modreator of this community is jd, ya know, the pleasent fellow who posted earlier!

As for Nature getting what they rightfully deserve. I often ponder this and I'm divided on how I feel upon it.

Anyway lets try to stick on Topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

I blame capitalism

Originally posted by Illkillya
    I blame capitalism

Please don't do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Obviously overfishing has been a long-term factor, but I don't see how it could make such a noticable difference in one season.. this I would attribute to the weather (except in Cork harbour where a family of orcas managed to seriously damage the fish population this summer).
    Cod and bass and other fish have always been on the demise, but the mackerel will be back in force next summer/autumn given a long spell of hot weather.

• Advertisement
Advertisement