Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hot hard drive

• 21-02-2000 8:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭

Should be fine, most hdd's do get hot. But if you're worried you can get a wee fan that attaches on to it.

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I got myself a 20gig h/d in Peats the other week and without minimum fuss I got the bad boy up and running. However, my ide cable was a bit dodge so I had to get a new one and lash it in. I discovered while reconnecting it (computer had been on for a few hours beforehand) that the new hard drive (a seagate job named after some fish or other) was fairly god damn hot. Not burn your finger hot but hot enough, whereas my other 10giger Quantam is no where near as hot. Is this a normal run of the mill thing for your hard drive to be running up a temperature ?

What does this do ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Amps' right, just put a fan onto it. Chances are the new one's 7200RPM, and they can get too hot to touch.

Yea it is a 7200rpm one. Well if its normal, and I ain't worried about it, sod the fan smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

I don't know much about that type of problem TC but in an enclosed space the heat has nowhere to go and if you're already oc'ing your CPU you should definitely consider the fan, especially because of the too hot to touch part

just a thought

bye for now
    Baz

Better safe than sorry, especially with a HDD......The fans only only cost about a tenner.

• Advertisement

Yea guess you're right, so where's the best place to buy a couple of fans then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

www.overclockers.co.uk have a couple of those king kong bay coolers, a bit ott but they do the job.

Yup, best place in the Uk to go for OC stuff. The little piggy-back HDD coolers aren't bad either, and they're quiet. The full size bay/fans will do a better job though.

Advertisement