Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SMS over the net

• 04-10-2001 11:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

I'm tryin to set up a web site that will send messages over sms what is the best way to get it up and running, what do I need ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

For free or are you willing to pay?

Bottom line is that, unlike email, SMS is not free. There are some potential free SMS providors and plugins (most notably Simplewire) but these can be unreliable and have been known to offer free services, in return for harvesting of mobile numbers.

If you're willing to pay, you can go through a number of SMSC's over HTTP. Go2Mobile and Link 77 are two examples of such providors.

The third option is to set up your own SMSC, using wither a GSM modem or even a mobile connected to your server, with a serial port.

Ultimately, depends of your requirements, skillset and budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

I'd like to do it for free or as cheap as possible, any idea on the charge involved? It's for a college project not comercial to to be put fully onto the net

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,470 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Indeed, Oceanfree does have a free sms service that allows 10 free messages per day, though you do have to register with a valid mobile number, the rest is ahem..optional.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by Kazujo
    I'd like to do it for free or as cheap as possible, any idea on the charge involved? It's for a college project not comercial to to be put fully onto the net

I've just become a SMS reseller over the weekend :cool:

The ink is still not dry on the reseller agreement, the HTTP SMS gateway is as yet not up at my side of things and I'm not targeting anyone who's looking for less than 10,000 SMS, but...

If you're interested, I can resell a few hundred (or less) SMS (at 5p per SMS) to you and give you a simple API to connect to. Email me if you are. Best that I can do realistically :rolleyes:

Advertisement