Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SMS over the net

Options
  • 04-10-2001 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

I'm tryin to ste up a website that will ahve an sms alert system built in to sned messages to peoples phones but I dont know what I need to egt started any advice would be much appriciated:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You'll have to sign an agreement with one of the Irish mobile telcos so you can send msgs to their server, and they'll let you know what to do, and how to do it. Or you could get a hacker friend to do some trickery....but this is probably a legit business interest, so I'd advise eircell. They already have the service set up with a few companies, securicor for one, so they know what they're doing.(the fact that I work for them has absolutely no bearing on this opinion whatsoever.Honestly.I swear!!)

Incidentally, what kind of website are you going to set up , or what kind of alerts will be you be sending, ie. willn you just be trying to alert someone if a server goes down, for example, or is it something totally different? I can suggest a few solutions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Esat also resell, as do Quios.com and go2mobile.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

AFAIK quios.com have folded.

They were great when they started w/ free sms a few years ago. You could keep your own personalised phonebook online- so it was so easy to send a ton of msgs very quickly- then they introduced a 10 msg limit per month and started charging for it- which then prompted everyone to leave:(

Maybe Ireland.com should reconsider this fee paying e-mail service ehh!!?? sorry to go OT lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

OOPPPSSS
    Seems like quios are still around
    They ahave some new strategic alliance w/ Cable & wireless....

see more here...
    http://www.cw.com/th_05.asp?ID=mc_385sep1801

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭moist

You could get your hands on somthing like a Siemens M20
    which is a box that you put a SIM card into and it has a serial cable you stick in the back of a machine.
    It basically is a modem with a few extra AT commands that you can throw at it to sens SMS's and the like.
    I was supposed to set one up with out monitoring software to send allerts when things went astray,
    but that never happend, so I don't know a great deal about them.
    Though I have heard that they are very easy to use and I believe theres scripts and java thingumies
    out there to make things easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

Cheers moist where bouts could I get my hands on one of those bout how muc do they cost??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭moist

Originally posted by Kazujo
    Cheers moist where bouts could I get my hands on one of those bout how muc do they cost??

I havn't a cobblers, sorry.
    You could try contacting Siemens, there are a few numbers on their support site
    I'm not sure which number would apply.
    The lads upstairs in my old job had one, so it should be possible to get in Ireland,
    though you might have to get it imported.
    As for cost, I would immageine perhaps £100 or £200 though thats a wild guess.

Ask the people that make it would be your best bet :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭bats

moist, did that box allow you to receive sms as well? Working on a research project and that sounds like something i should look into...

Kazujo, did you find out where these things can be picked up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Sticky

I played around with one of these and they do recieve SMS aswell as send.

Siemens have offices in Sandyford Industrial Estate - you might try looking them up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭bats

great, thanks Sticky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

Do they sell direct out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Might be worth checking out SMS Centre from these chaps:
    http://www.desoft.co.uk/

25 quid

Don't click on SMS messenger first - the price of that will cause serious heart damage.

Links at the bottom of the page.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

yoinked from usenet alt.cellular.ericsson.

This is possible with any terminal program. You need contact with your phone
    with a serial cable and then you can send special GSM modem AT commands to
    your phone. The protocol which describes sending SMS from a GSM modem is
    called PDU. Go look for that! (not UCP, thats for direct PC>SMSC contact)
    http://www.dreamfabric.com/sms/

Advertisement