Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheating

Options
  • 05-10-2001 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭

it has been around since the games were first thought of. an example: Rubik’s cube! - you werent too smart to solve it, so you pulled it apart piece by piece and put it together in an attempt to satisfy yourself of solving the puzzle. pathetic.

a better example to us would be the games industry itself. every game that comes out on the market, whether its a ps, dreamcast, gameboy or pc game, it has some kind of a cheat that helps you advance in the game faster without the hassle of completing the game as it is supposed to be completed. the game is too hard you say, and you couldn’t finish it so you resorted to using a cheat to satisfy the urge, that feeling of joy that you get after days of struggle, you have completed the game and you turn the machine off. you’re not really satisfied? you have finished the game, as always, this time through cheating, but it was just something that had to be done. you didn’t hurt anyone except the computer in the process and it was programmed into the game if it got too hard... everyone’s doing it.

but what happens when you apply this logic on multiplayer games that are popular worldwide? whenever you join a multiplayer game, you join a community of players that have the same affection for the game being played as you do. its an experience to play with people who might be miles away from where you are and to share that experience is amazing. however, not everyone wants to play the game for the sheer enjoyment that most of us get. they want to be the top ranking, fragging player out there and there is nothing to stop them achieving their goal.

hell, if you’re crap at Everquest, no problem. just go to ebay and buy yourself a level 54 wizard for a cool $400. Your aim is crap in CS, download a wallhack and/or aimbot and watch those frags rack up. need some money in Anarchy Online, how does 5,000,000 credits sound for a small fee. the list is endless.

why do people cheat in multiplayer games? they know that it is not fair and that they are just ruining their game experience and of the other players by their actions. maybe they never solved that damn cube...

cube-apart.jpg

adnans

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Hrm.
    I don't think they really care if it's ruining other peoples games.
    They get sick of being 0wned by good players, and cheating makes it more fun for them... it allows them to unfairly compete with the people who fairly kick lumps out of them.
    Or maybe they think the experienced players who kick them around are cheating themselves, so they download cheats to 'even the score' so to speak.

I don't think the who or why of it can be solved, or really matters... the important part is to secure your game against cheats with a solid engine and very frequent patching.
    The game producers should have the power to shut down cheat sites that carry wallhacks/aimbots for their games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Jabba_the_SLUT

yeah. unfortuntley there are a small amount of tools (now growing steadily in cs) that take it upon themselves to disrupt and ruin online gaming for as many people as possible. Its sad but it happens :(. i dont think constant patching would solve the problem though coz
    (1) People with crap connections like myself couldnt afford the update constantly and

(2) People who produce these cheats always find a loophole and once again manage to wreak havoc on servers :(

boo-urns is all i can say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Damn...

You could never cheat with LEGO!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

aimbot Aeee hmmm [google search]aimbot[/google search] lol no i wouldn't!

I agree cheating in multiplayer games is dispicable but they can also be fun! provided all parties conserned are aware and partisipating in the cheating! I used play AoE online alot n games with cheats enabled were great fun! bunch of babies on trick's buzzin around blowin the crap outa each other lmao :D great fun!

And dammit u can cheat at lego... stupid brother with his stupid imagination getin all parents praise bah! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

I know what ya mean lads......In CS its worst by far tho.
    Cos if you go onto ANY search engine thingy you can find hundreds (no joke) of sites with hundreds of aimbots and wall hacks in each.BTW..whats AoE2 like on-line ?? never bothered cos i disconnect every 2hours.......
    And whatschya mean yo cant cheat in lego ?!?!!? the instruction booklets are the easy way to build summit good looking :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

Cheating! Christ, take it to the CS forum... :)
    Seriously, cheating in a single player game is a personal choice. Cheating in a multiplayer game is inexcusable for any reason... theres nothing more to it really. But do we have to have enormous rows every time someone does it? Particularly on the CS boards - i think, while its unfair and unsporting, you have to just let it go and not play with that person again. CS people take their game too seriously. I think most of the worlds population feel like posting up something along the lines of Thats REALLY Interesting every time we read about a CS cheater these days...

A

Advertisement