Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm thinking of installing Windows XP when it comes out

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

linux is messed up most times
    some hardware never works properly and will never work properly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭R. Daneel Olivaw

The whole comrade Bill Gates thing is ridiculous really. LINUX is the thing that is far more communist - you can take the code, use it for free, if you change it you must give all your work back to the Kommunity for their own use. That's far more of an assimilatory stance compared to raw capitalism with Windows: pay for it. Shocking that. Other people work, I pay to use there work.

Linux: work work work, barely get to where Windows was in 1993, work work, no profit, everything must be for the Kommunity and Richard Stallman is god.

And frankly there is zero real creativity in the linux scene save for making drivers for hardware. All linux is, is a free *nix OS, of which there are several alternatives such as the various BSDs which many would argue are far better.

I get endless amusement when reading posts by people who bitch about Windows being unstable. Christ, can these people BE any more stupid? Windows is such a goddamn easy OS to use. Everything works with very straightforward GUI consistency and with Windows 2000/XP, stability.

If you can not get Windows to run properly and it takes 5 times longer to boot (a fully functional linux install takes around 40 seconds, give or take network), you should start small, maybe with a Microwave oven or a stereo or something. They tend to be easier to grasp.

"Propaganda, let the average person use a command line for once, surely this command line is difficult to use is a myth created by microsoft to exponenciate their ever growing piles of useless code?"

Try talking to the CDE people and the X people, and hey, why not call up Xerox PARC and see if anybody from back in the 1970s can figure out why you are praising linux and bashing MS for all the wrong reasons?

"I don't know if you have installed many hardware devices on a micros0ft windows platform, but IMHO clicking though 5-10 different screens, pointing to directory X or Y and possibly rebooting as much as three times or more for one single piece of hardware is ludicrous, take the USR33600 horrible install IMHO I guess you are entitled to disagree but even if the install goes ok the minimum reboot factor is 3 times eh? What gives?"

Dude, installing hardware on Windows involves plugging it in, and having the ultra complicated choice of either: choosing to install the drivers before or (gasp!) after the hardware has been plugged in.

MS bashing by morons is too fashionable these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

typedef, I neither want to, nor have to power to kick you off this board. I was just pointing out that your leet speak writing style, and complete ignorance of windows will not earn you any respect.
    You are making gross generalisations about windows.

You must be aware of the fact that a lot of people have not paid for windows. I'm not saying thats right, but its the reason that people complain about it crashing more than they complain about the cost.

I know you were just being hilarious, but I'm not actually Bill Gates number one fan. It is possible to use several operating systems, and not spend your time wildly advocating your favourite one, and wickedly bashing what you see as the terrible enemy.

I personally use unix, just as much as I use windows. I'm normally booted into windows in college, but I'll have a few ssh sessions open to college unix machines, programming or just learning more about unix. Its called the best of both worlds. The alternative is to boot solaris, and to use the horrible CDE.
    So I do know a little about unix, and it is a far more powerful system than windows. However it is plain foolish to say that people only use GUI's because microsoft tell them to. Unix system commands are hardly intuitive to someone who has limited computer literacy. Also, in my personal experience, if you have an X windows system which has all the bells and whistles of windows, say KDE2, it runs almost as slowly, and is not immune to crashing.

I run win2k at home, and it is extremely stable. Yes, win9x is a pile of rubbish, but no, you cannot tar all microsoft products with the same brush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

Some of the acts of pure stupidity being committed on this thread are quite amazing.

Typedef, you are an irritating and clearly spasticated goat. You're one of these people who hates Microsoft because you're Daddy beat you as a child, aren't you?

I don't have the time to write several hundred words explaining why I think this arguement is useless, however I do have the time to request someone lock it.

After Being informed by a UNIX user who works in a top programming job in the finacial company Imagine
    UNIX = Best for internet servers and the like
    Windows = Best for average user, and believe me he knows more than anybody about about all *nix systems
    he uses it for building trading software systems
    he's also my bro :):)
    he also thinks typedef is a complete f*cking spastic whos heard all this crap from some of his spastic nerd mates who also dont have a clue

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

After Being informed by a UNIX user who works in a top programming job in the finacial company Imagine
    UNIX = Best for internet servers and the like
    Windows = Best for average user, and believe me he knows more than anybody about about all *nix systems
    he uses it for building trading software systems
    he's also my bro
    he also thinks typedef is a complete f*cking spastic whos heard all this crap from some of his spastic nerd mates who also dont have a clue
    Well there's no sense arguing with well thought out logic like that is there?

uber.gif

Call me spastic if you like. I used to install hardware in windows all day for Gateway, but if you think that is insufficient knowledge of windows and then go ahead, call me anyname you like Herr Windows_Troll. It's nice to know that a mob of m$ muppets can still flout the laws of logic and blatant obviousness eh? You may think that paying £800.00 quid for vb or £500.00 for VC is good value for money, similarly I believe I maybe should @ least not be slandered for thinking that *nix is better value and ultimately easier to use, but if you disagree as is your right in a free society then by all means do so ok? oh by the way when you are finished with me I think there is a group of Moslem mud-people down the road who were taking white jobs and burning the flag, I'll tell them to await your arrival with the wehrmacht and copies of Xp shall I?

That was reflecting the views of my brother

my views are that a good programs on linux are complete sh*te when compared to there windows counterparts but some people are too engrossed for their love for linux to realise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by R. Daneel Olivaw
    LINUX is the thing that is far more communist

There are some pretty good books which deal about Open source based software. I recommend you go read a couple and actually learn something about a field you claim to know something about.

Open Source != free software. Btw, people do actually make money from Linux. You think RedHat survives as a company on imaginary money?

Oh and Linux is pretty close to being a fully stable, easy to use desktop. RedHat installer is just as easy (if not easier) to use then MS windows installer.

Linux is better then MS on the server end.

MS know Linux is now a threat on the desktop as well (as it has pretty much every kind of app except I think an accounts package). They wouldn't be thinking this if they thought Linux was hard for the user?

Getting back to Windows use W2K rather then XP. The reasons are more political then which is better. XP does stuff which if is allowed to continue would be detrimental to the consumer. Best way to show you don't want them forcing stuff on you is not to buy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

This thread is too informative! It must be stopped.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement