Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

partitioning hard drives

• 05-10-2001 4:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

How is it goin'. I have recently got my pc back after getting it fixed, there was a problem with the motherboard. when i left it in i asked the guys to partition my 40GB hard drive 3 ways, which they did, about 19GB 17.5GB and 2.4MB. Now i really could not be bothered to leave it back in again to rectify this little problem. is there a way to solve this issue without using fdisk as i would like to keep the programs the way they are. I have heard of partition magic but i am not sure if it is the one for me

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Originally posted by The_Bullman
    How is it goin'. I have recently got my pc back after getting it fixed, there was a problem with the motherboard. when i left it in i asked the guys to partition my 40GB hard drive 3 ways, which they did, about 19GB 17.5GB and 2.4MB. Now i really could not be bothered to leave it back in again to rectify this little problem. is there a way to solve this issue without using fdisk as i would like to keep the programs the way they are. I have heard of partition magic but i am not sure if it is the one for me

Where is the problem here? I'm just assuming that the 2.4MB is a typo and should be 2.4GB. If this is the case what is the problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Fand

Maybe the idea is that you put your OS files on the 2.4GB and your documents and programs on the other two?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

yes it is 2.4MB and i would like to increase that drive to about 12GB and decreasing the other two accordingly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Resizing partitions is still a risky business, so don't do it unless you're prepared to lose everything on the disk.

Parition Magic will resize partitions, and other things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

does anyone know where i could find an earlier version of partition magic as i heard that they are more reliable. partition magic 5 or something?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Bosco

Hi folks,

I agree with phaxx, Partition Magic is the buisness, but as far as the risk factor goes, as long as you run scandisk (and maybe defrag wouldn't hurt) before resizing then things will very probably go fine. The chances of power/device failure are tiny.

That said....you should always keep regular backups of your essential files :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I did a lot of partitioning and id recommend you delete that particular partition and start new (u'd lose 2.5mb) or leave it alone, if i were u i'd leave it alone, when partition magic fu*ks up it really fu*ks up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Oh You could easily get partiton magic through morpheus,
    thats were i got* mine.

*Stole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,463 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Partition magic is the dogs bo****** , that said , unless you are running xp , use partition magic 6.

Was using partition magic 7 and it broke my partitions (but was a 10 or more changes deal).

Using partition magic 6 no problems.

That said the boot disks on 6 are pants, use the ones from partition 7 (yes the 7 boot floppies are fine) or 5 (the best).

If you are using XP, use the floppies ONLY do not make changes in windows...it may kill your partitions.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement