Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Common sense on where to lay cables...?

Options
  • 05-10-2001 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭

Just thinking about this today as I drove past roughly the 9th set of road works and 5th crane in Ballymun...

Would it not make sense to start laying cable for cable modems there in Ballymun now as virtually every street has to be dug up and re-paved anyway during this period of a whole Ballymun revamp/"regeneration", so, presumably, now would be the time to act for cable companies, no?

Seems like a matter of common sense to me...

What do you all think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Oh come on, this is Ireland, you can't expect much from our comms companies...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Maybe they should consult with the Heineken marketing people?

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Excuse me...?

Are you making a remark about Ballymun's drinking problem...?

If so, you're partially right, some people here do have a drinking problem :mad: I'll be the first to admit that.

But, please, don't stroke the whole town with the same brush (that's unfair)

I don't drink (alcohol) >.<, I just want some decent internet access in Ballymun, and now seems like the time the telecom companies should pounce, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭P R O F A N I T Y

Ntl have cable all over dublin, they could probably supply most of dublin with cable internet but htey dont have that few million it would take to finish the job off, the hard part is done.
    they also dont have the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Maybe they should consult with the Heineken marketing people?

LOL, Adam that is a witty advert indeed;)
    Are you making a remark about Ballymun's drinking problem...?

No Adam is talking about a very clever advert about workmen coming up w/ a brainstroming idea that while the road is dug up various utility companies could conduct work instead of resurfacing and redigging again and again. But as Phaxx pointed out, this is Ireland- and árseways is the best way:p

• Advertisement

Indeed.

"That makes a refreshing change."

Gone off Heineken. Gives me wind. :)

adam

Sorry :( I'm so silly...

*tut tut* Oh well...my apologies to Adam...forgive me please (will the "I'm new" excuse work?)

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

well its 2001 where are all the small tunneling robots which should be beavering away beneath the streets laying cables andother utilities unnoticed and with the minimum of disruption?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by pork99
    well its 2001 where are all the small tunneling robots which should be beavering away beneath the streets laying cables andother utilities unnoticed and with the minimum of disruption?
    Maybe they are there now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Matfinn

Noel are you living in Ballymun?? Your right next to DCU then so, who have a massive amount of bandwidth. I was on one of the computers in the library today and I was getting aroun 100k/sec sustained transfer speeds. Now given that DCU has alot of computers I think thats fairly fast. Maybe there is a way you can also arrange for Ballymun to have a fiber optic wire laid out a few hundred yard up from DCU. Might seem expensive, but if you get enough ppl in the flats interested, then it might be worthwile.

Theres a thought for you:)

Gluck and God Bless

Matt

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭P R O F A N I T Y

im from that area, and theres fibre all over the place, ive seen esat, eircom and ntl laying fibre in that area

Sorry :( I'm so silly... *tut tut* Oh well...my apologies to Adam...forgive me please (will the "I'm new" excuse work?):p

Never worked for me. :)

No, that's Eircom tunneling into your bedroom while you're asleep to clean out your wallet.

"How did the rabbits get in the lift Ted?"
    "I dunno Dougal, they must've tunneled in or something."

adam

Noel are you living in Ballymun?? Your right next to DCU then so, who have a massive amount of bandwidth. I was on one of the computers in the library today and I was getting aroun 100k/sec sustained transfer speeds. Now given that DCU has alot of computers I think thats fairly fast. Maybe there is a way you can also arrange for Ballymun to have a fiber optic wire laid out a few hundred yard up from DCU. Might seem expensive, but if you get enough ppl in the flats interested, then it might be worthwile.

That's a great idea ^.^ I'll look into it!
    im from that area, and theres fibre all over the place, ive seen esat, eircom and ntl laying fibre in that area

One problem with that; the fibre isn't available for people to use...it's like having plumbing available all over Calcutta, and forgetting to sell toilets.
    Never worked for me. :)

Hehehe ^.^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by dahamsta

No, that's Eircom tunneling into your bedroom while you're asleep to clean out your wallet.[/B]
    I can hear them now. Biding their time....waiting... WHY DON'T THEY SHOW THEMSELVES!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Come move to the bog, where they run fibre past your door, but you can't have access because it's for the big town down the road. We are however having limited success with Carrier Pidgeons and mini-discs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by NoelRock

will the "I'm new" excuse work?

Not for long :p

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I had something of the same thought about the cable-laying when I saw all the digging being done in Cork for that sewage piping or whatever it was (the same thing seems as if it's coming in Limerick with the work out the Dock Road at the mo)

Makes a lot of sense. I for one aam sick and tired of seeing a very occasional road paved properly only to see the same road dug up and repaired (badly) within six months. Can't see it happening though.

Hey, here's an idea. With all the work being done at the moment on the roads and train lines, wouldn't it make sense for companies like Irish Rail and maybe some of the OLOs like Esat to get together and lay cable on the newly developed lines. It would be sure to save money for both sides - no chance of projects over-running budgets and beneficial for us all. No need to talk to the other telephone operators, Esat are a perfect choice (just because they have a nice name) and they could lay their fibre along the rail tracks and benefit us all at a low cost! No backhanders, all above board and no chance of a tribunal on the issue, ever! :D
    (oh, I've just fallen off my chair again, dammit can't we get anything done right - still, gives something topical for TG4 to show during the day)

I had something of the same thought about the cable-laying when I saw all the digging being done in Cork for that sewage piping or whatever it was

Cork Main Drainage.

Hey, here's an idea. With all the work being done at the moment on the roads and train lines, wouldn't it make sense for companies like Irish Rail...

I'll stop you there before I fall off my chair for laughing. Do the words "Mini-CTC" ring any bells?

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by dahamsta

I'll stop you there before I fall off my chair for laughing. Do the words "Mini-CTC" ring any bells?

adam

Yup - it's why I posted it (read my last line)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by P R O F A N I T Y
    Ntl have cable all over dublin, they could probably supply most of dublin with cable internet but htey dont have that few million it would take to finish the job off, the hard part is done.
    they also dont have the time

Hmmm .. I asked a friend of mine today on the bus this morning (who used to work for NTL) what was the story with them as regards the Cable Internet service.

Apparently the main reason they withdrew from it (Cable Internet) was that the ODTR threatened to revoke their "exclusive digital tv" licence unless they had it implemented under a certain time-frame. He was saying now that they have that available, they'll be turning their eyes back to Cable Internet services, but that they're still a long way off.

Anyway, I'm expecting a barrage of "You're wrong" posts .. so fire away :D

• Advertisement

Yup - it's why I posted it (read my last line)

Sorry sceptre, I got as far as that bit and had a giggling fit... :)

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Dr99

Here’s an Idea, why doesn’t the government put large empty pipes or conduits under every main road, with access points every couple of hundred meters. Then when NTL or whoever wants to lay new cable they apply for permission to use the conduits already there instead of digging up the road again! OK so it might cost a bit to start with but the savings later (no more road works, no need to pay people to dig up the road, savings on fines when work goes no for to long….) could be worth it.
    Or I could just be talking out my BS, sometimes it’s hard to tell!
    ;)

Advertisement