Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New eircell tarrifs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

holy crap.. I was expecting something truly marvellous after all the advertising thats been spewed about these new tariffs. Bloody terrible. Thank god I got on alltime 180 before they stopped it, 15 a month for 20 mins peak, 80 off peak and another 80 to a 'best friend' number. But you already knew that didnt you? :)

Seems as if vodafone arent doing much good with eircell as of yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

me suddenly grabs the 085 free phone i got and wonders if this might just be the best one out of the lot

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭ConUladh

When did they stop signing people up for AllTime, will we get booted off of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

fúckin hell!!! RTG is the exact same if not cheaper than any of those options. You'd think poor bastards who had to pay rental would get cheaper calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

I'm on alltime, alltime rules. :)

I think we'll be forced to switch to one of the other eirtime options when you've been using alltime for 12 months or something.

It's kinda gauranteed that they can't up your rental for a year or something... at least that was my understanding when I bought the phone.

Bill accounts are great... no way I'm ever going back to prepaid!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

OK I worked in Eircell for ages but I don't any more.

Here is what I can see from the tarriffs.

First - they only apply to people on Eirtime 10 or 50, Alltime, and Timeout 200.

The Light option is basically the equivalent of Alltime but not as good. The peak rate calls are slightly cheaper but Alltime is better all round imo. Obviously the step up from Eirtime 10 to the "Promotional" Alltime was proving to be making less money than could have been made. It was there to catch as many low-moderate new customers as possible. So if you're on Alltime - stay there. They cannot take you off any Eirtime forcefully - it's in the contract. You have to change it yourself.

Anyone still on Eirtime 10 GET OFF! It's cráp. Period. Go to this Light option cause you missed the chance to be on Alltime.

Anyone on Timeout 200 - go get the Active option. It's a lot more time for an extra fiver. Plus the 30 daytime minutes will take more off the odd daytime call that everyone makes. if your bill is £25-£30 anyway then you can stay on it but I seriously doubt anyone's Timeout 200 bill has ever been under £30. The 50p day calls get everyone. I'm on Timeout 200 and I will be going straight to this Active option.

As for the Extra option, if you are on Eirtime 50 and are happy with it then switch to this one. It's the same package with 25 more minutes and much cheaper calls after that. Also the Off-Peak period is 6 rather than 8.

I have to say, the one I'm most impressed with is the Active one. I's the same as Timeout 200 but with 100 more minutes and also the extra 30 daytime minutes that catch the calls that cost the money. You will be hard-pushed to be able to use 300 minutes in 1 month. If you are at work until 6 and dont use your phone until after 6 you are basically getting all the free calls you want to eircell mobiles and landlines. If you check your daytime minutes every so often to make sure you are not going over them you should find that you will not use the 300 off-peak minutes (unless you stick the phone to the side of you head :p). It should be fairly easy to keep you're bills at a constant £30 as long as you dont call other networks (just ring their home number) and don't send too many sms's.

All-in-all the prices have not come down much because the competition seems to be leveled off with meteor charging high prices in comparison. If anyone are to drop their prices I would expect it to be Esat. Eircell at the moment have about 1.15 million customers and are going to sit back on thier "lion's share" until some other network try to steal them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Mobile phone rates are absurd. I have begun to bring a phone card with me when I am out and about. The Eircom payphone rates are absurd. But, I think the Esat Cards are not too bad. There are always surcharges. I think Esat charge a once off surcharge while other companies charge a surcharge every minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

I have a contract phone at the moment. I intend going back prepay. You have more control. You know, exactly your budget and you can get pretty good deals:

Esat have an early bird option of 15p per minute until 5pm - this is pretty good value. You can always use call cards after 5pm.
    I think Esat home charges a 22p per minute surchargr & then a per minute charge of 8p off peak - so a 2 minute phone call off pwak will cost you 38p. I think a lot of light users would be better off with prepay phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭ConUladh

Check out :

http://www.b4ucall.com

Online provider comparison calculator

All depends if you end up being actually charged for any calls. I'm on Alltime so all I've had to pay for so far is 086 calls and text messages (phone in work means I don't need to make tonnes of mobile calls).

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Originally posted by ConUladh
    Check out :

http://www.b4ucall.com

Online provider comparison calculator
    Heh - a mate of mine runs that site. Eircell threatened to sue him for using their logo. they only noticed it after it was up for over 18 months. Apparently the regulator thinks they're great.

• Advertisement
Advertisement