Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calling all Linux Gurus!!!!

• 20-02-2000 1:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    Just installed Corel Linux after a 26 hour or so d/l. I have two questions for thee:

1. I'm using the nifty Dial-up program and have put all the settings but no matter what I do, I connect and then get:
    The pppd daemon died unexpectedly!

2. How does one set up a soundcard? Mines a SB Live! Value.

Any help greatly appreciated. Also if anyone wants to avoid a hefty 250 mb d/l then send a nice grovelling e-mail and I'll burn you a copy. Maybe.

Play GLminesweeper! Lunacy Abounds!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

im not sure, but i think that happens when your kernel doesnt support ppp ..you will have to recompile it with ppp support if im right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Creeper

There's only a beta sound driver for the SB Live (do a search "sblive driver +linux"). I can't get mine to work for the life of me.
    Linux. Deadly. L33t etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

dunno bout the modem problem (I'm still figuring out how to set it up myself)

but you could try running sndconfig from a terminal, it usually detects most soundcards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Excellent! Cheers lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

You could have saved the download and bought this months PC Live as its on the cover cd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

what kind of modem is it that your useing, Linux will work best with a H/W, you'll need to down load a file to get a S/W working. gerry found it on the net the other night at my house so you'll need to ask him where he found it.

gah no it's an Motorola Voicesurfr (sic) 56k external h/w modem. I have it mounted (or whatever the term is) on tty0/com1 and it sees it fine.
    It dials and connects and if use terminal I can even log in. Then the characters start comming up and I click continue like I use to do in win95 and then I get the error.

[This message has been edited by amp (edited 22-02-2000).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

amp are you useing kde? if so it has a ppp setup program that allows you to have every thing setup like dial up networking in win 9x and win2k, this little program is a very good thing to have. it also lets you setup ip address with no fuss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

Is Linux really good never used it before and I won't be until I get a new hard disk (hopefully during the summer) Is it's game support good. If not how much disk space is adequate by that I mean that I think you would need more diskspace if its support for games was good because I would have more than one game installed at a time.

bye for now
    Baz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 dollar

I sugest you get a program called WVdial do a search for if on www.freshmeat.net or on www.linuxapps.com There is also a script called ppp-setup, again do a search.

If your still having trouble mail me the last 20 lines of your /var/log/messages file.

D.

• Advertisement

Will do, once again - cheers!

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!

Advertisement