Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Band Of Brothers (Day of Days)

• 05-10-2001 10:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭

any1 manage to catch this on bbc tonite (friday) , i thought it was amazing , spielberg and hanks teaming up , great fan of these WWII ect , think its parts and on each note from 8.30 for 100minutes , i would advise u cath it nxt friday if u are into that kinda of drama ,

'Currahee & Day Of Days: New series based on renowned historian Stephen Ambrose's account of a US Army unit of paratroopers that parachuted into France on D-Day in 1944. With David Schwimmer. W/S '

Comments

Hi Barra,
    watched it-its very good-deep action sound-made it feel like I was looking at a movie not a tv programme.
    It was interesting to see the "Bad tough" act by Mr Schwimmer.
    He played this character well, but did you notice how quickly he reverted to his more familiar "Friends type" facial expression,when he was tricked into cutting that fence and later,when transferred away from Easy company?
    He should avoid that, in serious drama or he will be typecast.
    mm

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Watched it. Very strong last hour, though a minor quibble being I thought the Brits/Canadians/French also took part in D-Day. My mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

I watched 10 mins and thought it was total ****.Atrocious camerawork and lighting and acting as flat as a London pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Rattle

Hi,

Yeah, only noticed this about an hour into it. First scene I saw was Schwimmer getting transferred cos the NCOs rebelled. from looking at the scene I guessed the entire story so far was how he was trying to be nice to everyone, and the NCOs didnt appreciate it - I guess he is type-cast.

Flicked onto it a few more times later, was surprised every time I turned it on I saw someone famous, but I was never dragged into the plot enough to leave it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭BNC

Watched this too. I thought it was a great production. Very stylised camera work (the way the camera is placed hand-held in the action and many jump cuts in the edits). I liked the washed out look to the picture. Someone said the lighting was bad. In fact this is probably to do with the type of film used and the way it was processed.

How about the real guys giving their recollections? It must have been complete hell what they went through. The poor guy breaking down over friends he lost over 50 years ago.

I felt sick watching and waiting for them to make that jump.

Thought Schwimmer was good. Makes a change to see him playing a right b'stard.

I look forward to seeing it again next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Originally posted by Manach
    Watched it. Very strong last hour, though a minor quibble being I thought the Brits/Canadians/French also took part in D-Day. My mistake.

I wouldn't condemn it just yet. The story is about american soldiers, and the initial landings were divided into different sectors for different nationalities. So it would be plausible enough that you might see no-one but americans for a couple of days.

I'd be more concerned about the accent on the 'oirish american' character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Originally posted by The Gopher
    I watched 10 mins and thought it was total ****.Atrocious camerawork and lighting and acting as flat as a London pint.

So you missed the point completely.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Absolutely the most gripping bit of film I've seen in a while.
    The shots of the jump out of the Dakota's was absolutely superb!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

This is the best bbc show in a long time the washed out picture hand held camera work the effects of the plane jump. Giving germans fags and shooting them. Cracking story line everything is right,will watch next friday and i urge people to watch the repeat of the 1st and 2nd episodes on wednesday night pure brialliance.Schwimmer was good as the hardass nearly went into shock when i saw him enter.This is the best. YAHOO!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by Manach

I thought it was pretty good but there is no doubt that this is the American version of the invasion of Europe, so dont expect to
    much recognition of any other nationalites involvment.

As for the way it looked the photopgraphy was exellent but
    I'm a fan of muted colour and bleaching, the fx were
    a bit varible dispite the vast budget (did anyone else spot
    the "double exposed" planes as they went over France?)
    Most of the actors are too old, the average age of a
    soldier would have been about 20 by 1944, and of course they're
    is plenty of stereotyping but thats to be expected,
    as its used as shorthand for charcter development.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Magwitch

After the hue and cry in England over "Saving Private Ryan" I came to the conclusion that Americans have every right to make films about their soldiers. The vast majority of "international" and "Commonwealth" soldiers fought under British command and as in WW1 recieved no recognition from their British masters. So its a bit rich trying to plant on one the Yanks.

Band of Brothers is excellent. Well shot and very well narrated, keeping it in the context of a war and military structure rather than pesonal angst (as seems to have been the norm in many modern war movies). As such it gives a very real feeling of what the actual war was like (ie. its a war movie). The combat scenes cannot be faulted for realism, although the technique of "adrenaline camera" was not invented by Speilberg (as claimed) though it may have been refined by him.:)

I cant argue with any of the above, though I'm not sure why the bbc deemed it neccesary to part finance an American version of the war.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Saw it,luvved it.
    Its like a film based on facts,very rare now a days, and the narration is top notch.The jump was very well done,u feel ity for them having to do that..which i never EVER do in programs :eek:
    The fighscenes were good,but when the axis had them pinned down with tanks and the shermens came in,the pamzers should have won,a sherman cant beat a panzer :confused: .Apart from that 1st class :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Karma

One of the best shows on at the Mo'

I have been following this series from the start but due to a technical difficulty in getting out of the pub on time on friday 12th October for it and revelling in the glory of PS II games on wednsday the 17th I missed the 3rd episode and repeat. The other organised drunks I live with forgot as well to record it. so if there is anybody in the Dubland area who recorded episode 3 and willing to lend it out to me, please contact me

I will collect and drop back within 2 days(girlfriend permiting-3 at the worst)

I hope someone can help me and my friends (now members of the AA on step "-1")

Anyone Play Day of Defeat after watching the show?

Cheers
    R.

I hav'nt heard if RTE or TV3 have bought the rights but
    I imagine one of them will have, so just hang on a few months,
    bearing in mind one episode is much like another...ie a battle,
    some war is hell thoughts, wistful/regretfull looks, etc!

Mike

Originally posted by RogueDotC

Anyone Play Day of Defeat after watching the show?

Yup,ive been playing DoD non-stop since i saw this series,,strange innit :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

im totally addicted to watching this. i absolutly love it. first class all the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭ThreadKiller

Apparantly it's the most expensive mini-series ever made - $130 million over 13 episodes (a US TV season). although it wasn't an even spread, some episodes cost more, some less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Oh dear, Band of Brothers...

All that money ? They must have spent it on actors fees and unnecessary special effects.

I'll admit that that Dakota scene is excellent along with the tank tracks scene but that's about it. There aren't any really good episodes to date. They're all fairly dry. Maybe 5-10 minutes of action, then talk, talk and some more, yes you guessed it, talk.

They sit around on their back sides for the most part while the special effects department jump at every available opportunity to use computers to blow up buildings or simulate anything that might actually look real.

Truly dissapointing stuff from the likes of Speilberg.

Originally posted by Fidelis

I'll admit that that Dakota scene is excellent along with the tank tracks scene but that's about it. There aren't any really good episodes to date. They're all fairly dry. Maybe 5-10 minutes of action, then talk, talk and some more, yes you guessed it, talk.

They sit around on their back sides for the most part while the special effects department jump at every available opportunity to use computers to blow up buildings or simulate anything that might actually look real.

Truly dissapointing stuff from the likes of Speilberg.

/me slaps fidelis around a bit with a large brain stick
    wtf have u been watching ??
    And in war they do spend most of their time "sitting around on their backsides" cos it was based on realism.

• Advertisement

War is a bit like flying or sex - hours of bordom then moments of terror!:)

Mike.

p.s. 100 posts, yipee! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

While watching the first episode on RTE last night i noticed that RTE censored a bit: where yer man shoots the germans after going back and giving them a cigarette each.

Good auld RTE.

did they cut out any other scenes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

i bought the book first, BAND OF BROTHERS, by Steven Ambrose.

The book is the best book ive read in a long time
    The series is the best series ive seen in a long time. and true to the book in every way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

First time I saw Band of Brothers was BBC2 with episode 7 in the Ardennes Forest. That was f*cked up **** with all the artillery shelling they were under.

Since then I've been hooked. So I've determined to tape everything on RTE. The parachute drop into Normandy was crazy! I just sat there watching it going "Oh my god!" And that was all I could say! Words escaped me!

Top class stuff though. Very well made and shot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Is the series available on DVD? I'd love to have it :)

Originally posted by Stephen
    Is the series available on DVD? I'd love to have it :)

I've not seen it yet in the shops, although a mate of mine is convinced he saw it. Believe me .. as soon as I find out that it's available, I'm buying it! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Originally posted by Scruff
    RTE censored a bit

Are you sure about that ? I remember from the BBC version that in that scene, there weren't really any images of the Germans actually being shot. The reason for this is revealed later on in the series.

Originally posted by Fidelis

Are you sure about that ? I remember from the BBC version that in that scene, there weren't really any images of the Germans actually being shot. The reason for this is revealed later on in the series.

RTE usually don't censor stuff (they don't have the technology). Especially after the 9pm viewing mark. They usually leave that to UTV and the Beeb to do that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Karma

So RTE are showing Band of Brothers, What night and time is it on? Missing episode 3 from the set

Cheers

RogueDotC

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Tuesday, 10.20p.m.

Hmm,i might watch 1 of them,it starts in 1hour :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

Originally posted by Scruff
    While watching the first episode on RTE last night i noticed that RTE censored a bit: where yer man shoots the germans after going back and giving them a cigarette each.

Are You sure about this? In the first episode it just had the sound of the guys being shot, but in the 3rd episode it has some gemans being shot. Maybe you mixed it up.

Advertisement