Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

home networking probs

• 05-10-2001 11:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭

right just got my lappie and went to connect it to my network . havent used the computers in over a week . all cables are connected . everything is installed . all seems to be working ok . no one was messing with my computers . i dont know why it dosent see a network i had a look at the help file to see if it could show me a simple thing i forgot . but nothn

also other computers dont see eachother

anyone have any ids cause im stumped i am formatting computers 1 by one next week and i just need the network up and running so i can get all the info off them and onto one computer .

any ids . anything i should have a look at cause its annoying the fu<k out of me

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,463 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

elexes,couple of questions..

1) What operating system/s
    2) Are you using ICS (Internet Conection Sharing), and if you are, is the ics pc the "main one"

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

allcomputers are running win me . and ics is on the main computer . im giving up on it for a while so i can go to work . then ill start on it again .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

ian, if you mean by your computers cant see each other do you mean for windows filesharing? if so make sure all the computers are in the same workgroup.

also can you ping each machine on the network? if so then it means everything is ok. is a user problem then :P
    (joke)

have you tried to map and sharez on any computers?

\\192.168.0.3\sharename .... to say drive d:

if you have any more trouble with it gimme a buz later and ill talk ya through some things :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Right, I've had the same probs wiv winMe and I fixed it just by doing this
    Take WinME cd out back of and and Burn it....What ever method u want just Melt the ****er,
    Then Install Win2k and your Set.. (Win98 Works aswell)

No but what Workgroup are they on (Default is MS Home , change em to Workgroup)

Have u flushed the ip's and Re-assigned em,
    What i mean is Dont specify the ip's for each machine, have them auto Specified and then using dos type
    ipconfig/Release

then ipconfig/renew, should get it workin again...
    Thats what i do and they seem to work perfectly, also have u got the protocals on all machines (V.Simple question i know but :P)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Make sure u have the same protocols on each computer, like NetBEUI, ipx, tcp/ip, file and printer sharing, whatever shi*e ur using
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

What are you using to link em?
    ie hub switch co-axial etc.
    Is there a physical connection being found?
    Do you have a multi-mtre handy?
    Check the cabling by running a voltage through em.
    Should be zero resistance.

Get a spare hard drive, set to slave and plug it into each PC backing up the stuff you need.

As opposed to burning a room full of CDRs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭marauder

Sounds like you had the network working already so its not a setup issue.
    I have 2 98 machines on a LAN and sometimes they just don't see each other in network neighbourhood etc,. Then sometimes they do although I have done NOTHING. All I have to do is to type in \\compname\sharedfolder into explorer and up she pops no problem;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

ok
    its a hub cat 5 and the cables are working fine .

its like this

Monday night : after playing against myself in spank the tosser over the lan i went to bed . turned off pc's

tuesday morning : wake up get lappie add it to lan install all proto's and give it the right workgroup .

turn on pc's . ...... aint workin ...... try to c if all cables are in if any pc can see anything .
    still nothn .
    unplug lappie make love to it . kick big box who used to be old love . go back and try and fix the prob again . still nothn but this time . a box apears when i click on entire network saying unable to browse network it says it straight away . i am not near my network at mo and wont be untill the end of the week .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Make sure the nic in the laptop is set to use the correct speed - I had a bit of difficulty in adding my machine to flamegrill's network (win2k here), as mine was set at 100mbit full duplex but his hub was only 10mbit. It just wouldn't work until i switched it to 10mbit.

Advertisement