Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smackdown! Just Bring It!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

so was pokemon shinji

Yep - difference being that there you actually had a very well designed game built on principles of gameplay from the ground up, by someone who actually knows how to make games (Miyamoto and the Game Arts crew).

OK scores givin to Smackdown (origional PS1 Game)
    Playstation Plus 9/10
    Planet Playstation 94%
    Playstation Max 93%
    C&VG 5/5
    PSW 9/10
    Total Playstation 93%
    Extreme Playstation 93%
    Play 92%
    GamesMaster 92%

Smackdown 2
    The Irish player :P 9.5
    Gamingplanet 4/5
    Gamecritics 8.5

I notice that there's not a single magazine in there that I would give any credence to. They're all entirely ads-driven publications aimed at young audiences, and their review scores will reflect THQs marketing budget rather than the quality of the product. "Play" used to be a decent mag, but I think they had a major staff changeover; the rest of that lot are simply outlets for PR hype.

If you want honesty, you look at quality publications not driven by publisher money, such as Eurogamer.net or (much as I hate to say it) EDGE.

I note that you're still pushing this ludicrous "it's popular so it must be good" argument. More people buy the Sun every day than any other newspaper. Westlife and Britney top the charts every time they fart. Your argument holds no water whatsoever; and blathering about business doesn't either, since what we're discussing here is the quality of the game, not the amount of money it pours into THQs coffers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Originally posted by Dre as in Dray
    OK scores givin to Smackdown (origional PS1 Game)
    Playstation Plus 9/10
    Planet Playstation 94%
    Playstation Max 93%
    C&VG 5/5
    PSW 9/10
    Total Playstation 93%
    Extreme Playstation 93%
    Play 92%
    GamesMaster 92%

Smackdown 2
    The Irish player :P 9.5
    Gamingplanet 4/5
    Gamecritics 8.5

HA!YOu are a fool all of them especially playstation max and gamesmaster are aimed at people like wrestling ans with "funny" captions and "hilarious" speechbubble and as many shiit jokes as can be fit into an imature piece of ****e.Why dont you jst give in to the fact the arguement agaisbt you is to strong bah!!!.P.S wrestling sucks major ahahahahahahahahahahaha

First of all i dont see this as an argument i am just stating points about the game as i said before the game can argue for itself .When it comes to ratings of the game they are just the raitings that i found if i looked harder i just cant be bothered .
    But its funny Man Utd are popular (wonder why ,what did they ever win) And still everybody thinks their sh!t

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

So Dre, what do you want? You want us to say that Smackdown is a great game? That it's worthy of merit? That it does not suck ass? Somehow I don't think that's going to happen.

People don't think Man Utd are ****, they just don't like Man Utd. Man Utd beat Sunderland with what was essentially a reserve team 3 - 1 this weekend. No football fan could argue that Man U are a great team that win a lot but that doesn't mean that they are well liked. Besides, most Man Utd fans are wánkers (myself included).

Note: if this thread turns into a discussion about Man Utd I will lock this thread quicker than you can say David Beckham.

So your saying that Smackdown is popular but people think it's crap. I think you're getting that the wrong way around. Smackdown is crap, but it's relatively popular.

What you seem to not understand Dre is the concept of marketing.

Popularity does not necessarily equal quality. There are a lot of brilliant games out there that flopped because of bad marketing. And there are far, far to many games out that a crap but did well cos of good marketing.

Smackdown is a brand name that a lot of kids already know.

Now I'm not saying that you shouldn't like Smackdown, if it makes you and the few others here happy then whatever blows up your skirt but there's really no need to go on about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

most Man Utd fans are wánkers

I'm really really sorry amp but i just HAVE to agree with you.
    Aite..no more about utd.

Yes..Smackdown is sh1t. Yes...you CAN have a good laugh with it but more than not it decends into a fuking row over somebody cheating ----"No way..he cant do that. How the fuk did that happen?? ffs...cheating cun.t"
    There is absolutly no skill involved in playing the game. it boils down to who gets the first punch in while button bashing

• Advertisement

Im not trying to say ( everybody like this game ! ) This topic has gone off trac.I know that this is not everybodys cup of Tea.Just as Fifa does not sell too much in the states as there are not many "soccer" fans there.What i am jumping in at is the reaction to shinji (who is not a fan of these games) saying "Typical sub-standard licensed crap" Nice quote buy the guy who glorified the game boy advance by saying "it is the quickest selling console ever"Hey Pokemon is not a game i like but i dont go around sprouting off how its a rubbish game as i know there are many people out there who like it .

Despite your judgment on the game you may think its crap you may think its great but look at the facts.

1 .Yukes (co makers of the game) origionaly used the game engine on a wrestling game in Japan,It was a number 1 selling game .

2. THQ were makers of WCW wrestling games and lost the licence to EA .

3.After very limited success Acclaim lost their WWF licence to THQ who later with the release of Smackdown outsold Acclaim by 10 smackdowns for every 1 Raw is War.

3.Smackdown became the fastest selling game of the year piping tomb raider at the post.

4.Smackdown became the most rented out game of the year with blockbuster video .

5.Smackdown 2 is released being the fastest selling game of the year.Shops sell out unable to keepup with the demand.Its only major competition at the time is another wrestling game also made by THQ called No Mercy (which also sells out taking 2 months to restock Ireland)

6.This game also gets the highest rating in computer mags.

7.Smackdown 2 is piped at the post by WWF No mercy on the N64 as the most rented game .

8.Smackdown 3 dominated E3 with its very young version of the game.The game had no AI but was attracting the biggest crouds .

9.www.gamespot.com Even shows smackdown 3 as the most visited section of the website.

10.Other games have been marketed alot more then this game but have not nearly reached the peaks this game has .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

3.Smackdown became the fastest selling game of the year piping tomb raider at the post.

our point exactly

i feel not like an arguament

Soul Calibur is the finest 3d beat em up of all time

Smackdown is fairly pants

Wow, that's pretty good - ten points that prove that the gaming public will genuinely eat shít if you put it on a licensed plate.

Hell, they'll even pay £35 for it.

As to the Game Boy Advance - I think you'll find that I was mostly expressing my delight at a genuinely fantastic bit of hardware selling so well; I've been well chuffed to see so many people buy a lot of the top software on it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Originally posted by Dre as in Dray
    What i am jumping in at is the reaction to shinji (who is not a fan of these games) saying "Typical sub-standard licensed crap"
    In fairness, Shinji is very knowledgable when it comes to games. I'd take his opinion above any magazine, website or 12 year old weenie.
    Nice quote buy the guy who glorified the game boy advance by saying "it is the quickest selling console ever"
    It was. Quite an achievement considering it is the least powerful console on the market, don't you think? And it didn't even have any wrestling games on it, either.
    Hey Pokemon is not a game i like
    Pokemon isn't on the Gameboy Advance...
    1 .Yukes (co makers of the game) origionaly used the game engine on a wrestling game in Japan,It was a number 1 selling game .
    What does this prove? It proves that the number of wrestling games weenie fan boys in Japan is proportional to the number of wrestling games weenie fan boys everywhere else. I truly am enlightened. No, really.
    2. THQ were makers of WCW wrestling games and lost the licence to EA .
    wow.
    3.After very limited success Acclaim lost their WWF licence to THQ
    Acclaim had huge success with its Attitude and Warzone games, again because the license it was based on. Don't be mislead into thinking the quality of the games had anything to do with the licence switch - it was money, pure and simple.
    Smackdown outsold Acclaim by 10 smackdowns for every 1 Raw is War.
    I presume this has something to do with the fact that Raw is War hasn't been released yet (nor has the console it will be on, for that matter).
    Hugely hyped game being sold off the back of a well known name narrowly beats another hugely hyped game beeing sold off the back of a well known name. Thanks for that.
    5.Smackdown 2 is released being the fastest selling game of the year.Shops sell out unable to keepup with the demand.Its only major competition at the time is another wrestling game also made by THQ called No Mercy (which also sells out taking 2 months to restock Ireland)
    You neglect to mention how buggy No Mercy was - what with the cartridge regularly wiping its save games et al. I'm not surprised it was rented, considering the £65 price tag either :)
    6.This game also gets the highest rating in computer mags.
    See various other posts in this thread.
    7.Smackdown 2 is piped at the post by WWF No mercy on the N64 as the most rented game .
    Also: Smackdown 2 is pipped at the post by WWF No Mercy on the N64 as the most retarded game ever made.
    8.Smackdown 3 dominated E3 with its very young version of the game.The game had no AI but was attracting the biggest crouds .
    Balls. Games like Luigi's Mansion, Rogue Leader and Project Gotham Racer attracted the attention at E3.
    9.www.gamespot.com Even shows smackdown 3 as the most visited section of the website.
    Please allow me to pick my jaw up from the floor.
    10.Other games have been marketed alot more then this game but have not nearly reached the peaks this game has .
    Not very many have, in fairness. In terms of ad campaigns - there's a promo for it during every wrestling event. Considering the audience of these things, that's some good advertising. Not to mention the hype magazines have been giving it. Also, 'peaks'? Surely you mean depths?

Back to the Acclaim - THQ thing:

THQ released wrestling games based on the WCW licence using the exact same engine as WWF Wrestlemania 2000 and WWF No Mercy. The WCW games don't preform that well - yet the WWF games (pretty much identical apart from the licence) soar to the top of the charts

Similarly, Acclaim sold insanely popular WWF games based on the Attitude engine - they lose the WWF license for the ECW one and what happens? The ECW games based on the same engine bomb.

doesn't that tell you *something*?

Ok so this thread is basically Dre shouting "WAAA LOTS OF PEOPLE LIKE SMACKDOWN AND I HAVE ALL THESE THINGS TO PROVE IT" and everybody else repeatedly trying to make him understand about marketing.

And so we have to come to a conclusion. Either Dre is a stupid whitetrash dumbass or he's trolling. Possibly even both. Prove me wrong Dre or it's gonna be Thread Lockdown 2.

• Advertisement

Oh wow, I'd missed this gem.

This is simply NOT TRUE. SmackDown 3 was shown on about four TV sized screens at E3, in a special "wrestling" bit of the THQ stand - which wasn't even in one of the main halls, but was in a separate little room of its own. The crowds trying to see SmackDown 3 and Raw is War were significantly smaller than those jostling for a bash at Red Faction on the same stand... And this wasn't even a huge stand by anyone's standards.

The biggest crowds at E3 were at the Nintendo stand, with honourable mention going to the Tecmo stand with the DoA3 dancing girls, the Working Designs stand, the Sega video area and the Square cinema queue. THQ's stand and SmackDown 3 don't even get a look in.

In fairness, Shinji is very knowledgable when it comes to games. I'd take his opinion above any magazine, website or 12 year old weenie.

*blush*

I know you only want me for my body though. And my GBA games.

This is just so much fun :)

1st of all i am also quite knowlageable about computer games but i dont like to boast about it .

2nd of all there are games out there that i absolutly hate and can stand playing them such as GT and GT2 as i hate car games,but i dont go around saying its sh!te as i know there are alot of people out there that like it .BTW this game got more media hype then any WWF game.

3rd i did make a mistake playstation never released Raw is War.Was getting mixed up with Attitude (Raw is War was going to be the name of this game).Although the Megadrive released WWF Raw.

4th I do respect all your oppinions if you dont like the game ,but do you all not respect the fact that there are loads of people who do like the game.

5th Dont get me started on Man U as i have tones to say on those muppets

6th Please close this thread before i start getting abusive !

Yeah, fun being defined as banging ones head against a brick wall,
    and hey be as abusive as you like, you know how much we like editing peoples posts!

Thread closed with immense pleasure.. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement