Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eirco and Eircom reach settlement

Options
  • 06-10-2001 2:12am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

[DISCLAIMER: I've don't normally visit ENN. At all. I was bored, ok?]

Eirco and Eircom reach settlement

"Internet development company Eirco has reached an agreement with Eircom over a trademark dispute initiated by the telecoms [sic] company.

<SNIP>

"Speaking to ElectricNews.Net in July, Eirco's founder and chief executive, Sharon Kennedy, said that the company had no wish to be associated with Eircom."

You said it sister.

"A spokesperson for Eircom said in July that it would not have taken the issue as far as the High Court if it did not think it had a case. "As a company we are entitled to take issue with another business if we feel our trademark has been breached," commented an Eircom spokesperson."

TRANSLATION: "Well, we spent an effin' fortune on the ould brand like, and we have a feckin' massive legal team, so we had to give them *something* to do, you know? Hmmm? The infrastructure? Ah, screw the infrastructure, sure doesn't everyone knows we've being trying to offload the feckin' big bag of sh1te since day one! Hang on, is that tape recorder on? Jesus Christ, I said this is off the record, ya little boll1x! Gimme th.... >bzzzt<"

Eircom. If you can't beat 'em, sue 'em.

adam

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

This might be worth considering in regard to the errorcom.com site and going OTT w/ its promotion. €ircom are obviously willing to send in the big wigs if they feel their trademark etc. is being infringed.

In law Precendence Prevails !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭MS

You are not authorized to view this page
    You might not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials you supplied.

If you believe you should be able to view this directory or page, please try to contact the Web site by using any e-mail address or phone number that may be listed on the www.errorcom.com home page.

You can click Search to look for information on the Internet.

HTTP Error 403 - Forbidden
    Internet Explorer

ROFLMBO!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭R. Daneel Olivaw

This is all highly amusing in light of the revelation that Eircom employees are not allowed use Boards.ie, and therefore could not have seen the URLs.

So who at Eircom broke the rules, and thus their contract? Come on, please tell me it was one of the management people! Please!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

This might be worth considering in regard to the errorcom.com site and going OTT w/ its promotion. €ircom are obviously willing to send in the big wigs if they feel their trademark etc. is being infringed.In law Precendence Prevails !

I realise that you're just trying to advise caution 80p, but even taking yours, and others, discussions with the legal profession into account, I still firmly believe that Eircom haven't a leg to stand on, and that they know it. If they had even the remotest chance of pulling it down, they would have contacted me and others by now, because that's how they work.

And in this situation, where the actual developer of the site is unknown, the predicament is even worse. The only real parallel and precendent is DeCSS, and that precendent was set in the US. Course, they could *possibly* get my current mirror with that, but I could always just move it elsewhere. Nah, Eircom will just have to bite the pillow and take this one. It's not as if they don't deserve it...

adam

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by R. Daneel Olivaw
    This is all highly amusing in light of the revelation that Eircom employees are not allowed use Boards.ie, and therefore could not have seen the URLs.

So who at Eircom broke the rules, and thus their contract? Come on, please tell me it was one of the management people! Please!

Where'd ya hear that R. Daneel?

adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭R. Daneel Olivaw

Didn't someone say last week that Eircom employees are not allowed use Boards? I'll find the thread, because it definetly was very recent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Nah Adam i just have my boring snoring Ned Flanders type cap on!! I'm just playing devils advocate and highlighting some worse case scenarios:)

The site is brill and long overdue- The defence of Fair Comment and Satire would (likely) prevail anyway.

What else can be said except its a great site and €ircom are just goin to have accept they've upset too many ppl not to expect some reaction!

Advertisement