Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fans

• 15-02-2000 7:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭

I'm oc ing a PIII 450, Gateway2000 full size tower case. Only cooling is what came with it. Anybody got ideas for decent cooling. ( no i'm not getting a kryotech fridge )

cheers
    Gav

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 dollar

All depends on how much you want to over clock your machine. If you are just going to up the FSB a bit then you'll be alright but as you get higher freq, the heat you generate will increse aslo, but where the real big one comes from is upping the core voltage to gain stability. You really need good cooling for that.

I put the cope voltage on my 400 cel up to 2.2 and clocked it to 600MHz but the cpu got really hot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

The single best cooling unit you can add is a 5.25" Twin Turbo Cooler.

2 extraction fans mounted in a plastic 5.25" holder that just slides into a free bay. Simple as that. They're extremely quiet and suck a massive 87CFM (Cubic Foot per Meter) out of your system. (A normal P-II intel fan is around 12 CFm or less to give you a reference for power).

It dropped my case temp by 10 degrees and indirectly the CPU by 5.....

The closest re-seller I know of is Overclockers.co.uk, they're around 20 quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Cheers creed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Where can I get my hands on a couple of 5 1/4" fans for my case which actually has connectors at the end ? I bought an industrial 5 1/4" metal yoke for my pc case but it doesnt have a connection all it has is two black wires. Where the hell do I stick those ?

Don't think I need any extra cooling cos my Computer hasn't froze much over the last 6 months, but it's just piece of mind more than anything else. I'm sure it gets fairly hot in there, (celeron400 o/c to 500, geforce ddr)

ta

If it runs on 12v DC pop them into the Black and red connectors on your PC internal cable. Check the amount of current it draws first though. You may overload your system PSU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭Gerry

Tincool, if its that big then it probably draws
    a lot of power and so could reduce stability. A few 10 or 12 cm case fans should do the trick. I have a p3 450 o/c to 558 and I use two 10cm case fans and a
    rotary fan which sits in a slot. However if
    that fan u have only draws a small amount of power by all means use it and tell me where I can get one! cos my setup is rather
    noisy

I used to have one of this 120Mm Sunon's (108 CFM) on the side of my case. Amazing power but just too damn noisey..... That's why I recommend the Bay-coolers nothing matches them for power/noise ratio.
    WWW.2Cooltek.Com have a set of ultra-quiet 80Mm fans that look quite nice. 28DB (about the same as your PSU) and 30CFM each (Your average 80mm is about 35 CFM but the same in DB). They take about 2 weeks to deliver from the US. Good company though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Had a quick look in the Maplin catalogue and they seem to have a big range of cooling devices. Even those nifty Peltier cooling yokes. They're across the road from the virgin cinema or www.maplin.co.uk

Play GLminesweeper! Lunacy Abounds!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭Gerry

hehe..The mystery of maplin and the identity of its employee's... lingers on.

[This message has been edited by Gerry (edited 19-02-2000).]

na if I was to plug anybody it's PC Peripherals. www.pcp.ie

Play GLminesweeper! Lunacy Abounds!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

yes that maplin place dose suck doesn't it and the staff their know nothing about comps smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

on a more on topic side of things, I just got a 120mm 12v fan for my pc mmmmmm....nice.
    now i have the prob of there bing to much air pressure in side my case (i think it might compress my cpu)(i wonder will that get it down to .18?) smile.gif

so now i need to make an exit point in the side of my case for the hot air that gets traped up the top to get out. I have a small heatsink fan that might do the job but what to hook it up to?? I think its time for that secound power supply!! smile.gif

by the time of trinlan my case will look like someone shot it up.

I see the future.... I see me putting my tower into a tank full of non conductive chemically inert liquid. I've seen the future and ASASAAARRRGGHHHGHHHGHH!!! MUST GET LIFE!!!!!!!!

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!

Advertisement