Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windoz programming

Options
  • 06-10-2001 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭

Any1 know of so good resources for programming in windows, preferable online resources. Anything would be appriceated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Well if you are programming in Windows, and since you didn't mention a specific language, I would recommend VB. If performance and solid coding is an issue, use C++, or else some other .NET language.

Also, you didn't mention what kind of programs in Windows, so I am assuming Windows-System programs. This is done using the Win32API. It is very easy to call API functions using VB. One site I find excellent for doing things like that is

www.thescarms.com [covers Win32API stuff]
    http://www.vbapi.com/ [another Win32API site]

www.freevbcode.com [covers everything VB and windows, some good tutorials, articles, code examples]

There a loads more, but if you could be a bit more clear in what you want to learn, let us know.

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Dan Appleman is good for win32 api vb programmer. I've another post on this forum with a some links to sites I've used. It includes a v. funny link to www.muppets.com, disguised as a vb link, which nobody else found v. funny. I've been a vb muppet for some years now and found it hilarous. However I am drunk and on that note ... yer ma.

No seriously for windows programming go to msdn. That has pretty much everything. Try DevX as well. These and the appleman site are part of my job as this stage, well recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

I'm looking to do some graphics programming in windows, most likelt in C/C++. I'm trying to stay away from vb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Staying away from VB, fair enough!

You can still access the Win32API using C/C++. Graphics on Win32 is access through the Win32GDI. You can use that to call up windows, and graphical components etc. Also if you want to do some drawing to a window (eg. for a game), you can use the BitBlt() method.

Instead of using the GDI you could use DirectX. If you know nothing about graphics programming in Windows, and want to get up to speed fast (so you can make games and stuff), check out Windows Game Programming for Dummies. Even though I hate Dummies books (and it's the only one I own, swear!), this one is very good. I actually learned some stuff from it. But that was about 2 years ago, coz my recent experiences with C/C++ has been based around the command line.

;-phobos-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

• Advertisement
Advertisement