Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good specs?

• 06-10-2001 11:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭

I aint lookin' for some uber-computer, just something to keep me going for the next year or two, like my ever-crap Celeron333 has done ;)

So here goes...

(all from oc.co.uk)

Abit KT7A (Socket A - AMD Thunderbird/Duron) Mobo : £90
    AMD Duron 900Mhz (overclocked to 1.05Ghz) : £59
    ThermoEngine V60-4210 (Socket A/FC-PGA) : £22
    Hercules 3D Prophet 4500 64MB (AGP) - OEM : £71

Total £242

All in Sterling, IR£ comes to £308 at current exchange rates.

All prices include VAT @ 17.5%

The other components (RAM, Heatsink, Soundcard etc...are sorted)

So, basically, am I being stupidly ripped off with these components or what?

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭R. Daneel Olivaw

Seems about OK for the mobo/CPU. Are you sure about the Abit KT7A board though because AnandTech, HardOCP and Tom's Hardware are all pretty conclusive that the new 266A series is the best Athlon mobo this side of Christmas.

Also, what is that 3D card? As in what chip (brand/numbers are meaningless to me, danielson ;) ).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Thanks for the reply.

I'm getting a Duron, so the Athlon board would be overkill surely? I dunno.

And the Vid card... I dunno either, I know feck all about hardware :) but here's a review of it:

http://guru3d.com/review/guillemot/3dprophet4500/

Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

as long as you are not planning to upgrade for around 2 years, you might as well stick with the kt7a. If you are planning on putting a faster chip in, in a few months, well then it would be better to wait for a kt266a board like the abit kr7-raid. With a duron 1ghz you won't notice very much between the boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

No I won't be upgrading again for at least a year, so I reckon I'll stick with the KT7a.

Thanks again

Advertisement