Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

irlgov.ie auld fella

Options
  • 07-10-2001 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,436 ✭✭✭✭

My auld fella works for the cival sevice and gave me his email addy *@irlgov.ie, but all i get is a bounced mail saying this..

The original message was received at *, * Oct 2001 *:*:* +0100
    from lhedns.gov.ie [192.168.224.2]

The following addresses had permanent fatal errors
    <*@irlgov.ie>

Transcript of session follows
    550 <*@irlgov.ie>... Host unknown (Name server: irlgov.ie: no data known) (edited)

Has he lost his marbles (highly possible!!) or is this @irlgov been migrated to something else?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

My old man is in Foreign Affairs and has an @irlgov.ie as well
    Well its actually @iveagh.irlgov.ie (iveagh house)

AFAIK the settings cant be used on a pop3 etc.(i presume this is what you want the info for??- because I think its in effect just a very big LAN- and its really only used for internal communication. Not knowing exactly what the settings are I'd imagine as well that for security reasons you couldn't just iput the setttngs onto Outlook send e-mails from the irlgov.ie domain. (might lead to some very serious prank e-mails:p)

I'm not entirely sure- but its just a guess

• Registered Users Posts: 15,436 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

You're probably right , rereading the error script it refers to an ip of 192.168.224.2, which is a non routable address, should have seen that earlier.

Suprising that the cival service should be so much in the dark ages, there has to be a direct mail addy i can use from the outside world.

My dad isnt what you would describe as technical so no point in persuing it any further with him, any cival servants here shed some light on this?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭moist

Originally posted by Longfield

The original message was received at *, * Oct 2001 *:*:* +0100
    from lhedns.gov.ie [192.168.224.2]

Well this looks like it reached the primary MX for irlgov.ie (which is lhpo.irlgov.ie).
    Though if I telnet to port 25 on that machine it claims to be lhedns.gov.ie
    It is probably then supposed to be forwarded onn to some internal mail server in a particular department.
    However it seems that lhedns.gov.ie (or even lhedns.irlgov.ie) has no DNS information.

Transcript of session follows
    550 <*@irlgov.ie>... Host unknown (Name server: irlgov.ie: no data known) (edited)

Which this seems to indicate as much, though depending on configuration that shouldn't
    necessarially cause problems, but that depends.
    Also I believe that the 550 error code is generally used to indicate that the specified
    user (mailbox) does not exist on the system.
    However various mail server venders have been known to "take liberties" with such things.

Anyways, I'm guessing that its either an internal problem, or that you are supposed to use
    a somewhat different address from externally, such as a department prefix as already mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by 80project
    My old man is in Foreign Affairs and has an @irlgov.ie as well
    Well its actually @iveagh.irlgov.ie (iveagh house)

Girlfriends sister is in Japan at the moment with Dept of FA (hmmm, doubt they call it that themselves) - very unreliable (prob at the other end) with mails - lots get bounced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

DFA is the common abbreviation:)

Yeh I know, I stopped sending stuff to my Dad- I think the prob is that is goes some through filter or message collection "thingy" and if it looks a little suss then they send it back-

When i say suss I mean html e-mail but also any pics or attachments-
    My Dad was in New York recently following the WTC tragedy and he was on RTE news so I took a snapshot of it so he could see it and mailed it to him so he could see it NY but sure enough....

BOUNCY BOUNCY all the way back to me saying something to the effect you are not authorised to send attachements to this address or sommit!? I think its all for security reasons more so than any kind of spite not wanting the states employees to get their mail:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement