Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GBA: Backtrack - one to avoid

Options
  • 07-10-2001 12:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭

Slapped in a test cart of Backtrack on GBA last night for a bit of a play... I now suspect that this game has stolen a small piece of my humanity (such as it was).

This is the first FPS game on the GBA, and if it wasn't for the fact that I've already played Ecks Vs Sever and Doom on the system, I'd be tempted to give up on handheld FPS games forever - for the sake of the children!

Basically, what we have here is a Wolfenstein clone. Kind of. The levels are Wolf3D style, with no raised sections or anything, but for some utterly bizarre reason (and totally missing the point of how Wolf3D works) the guys writing it have created a six-degrees-of-freedom texture mapper to do the walls etc.

Er. This, for those of you who don't know 3D engine tech, is the most pointless thing ever. The game has all the BAD stuff that comes with texture mapping (badly) on a low power system, such as texture glitching and MASSIVE pop-up only a few feet away from your character - it's not even fogging, the walls just spring into existence when you get close enough. Needless to say it's bloody ugly. None of the GOOD stuff of texture mapping is in there though - you can't look up or down, there are no slopes... An astonishingly stupid tech decision, all in all.

Then again, the team responsible for this aren't going to win any prizes for genius in the first place. The enemies are astonishingly badly drawn, the weapons are crap... Remember Corridor 7? This is Corridor 7 without ANY of the redeeming features. It's that bad - in fact, it's one of the worst games I've ever played, and I don't say that lightly.

I strongly recommend that none of you buy this game, as if you do so, you're running a horrible risk of actually PLAYING it at some point. Which would be bad.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

darn.

Ah well, Ecks vs. Sever and Doom will have to do. Just please hurry up and be released :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

It's 2001 and people are still getting excited about Doom. Excellent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

It's 2001 and people are still getting excited about Doom. Excellent!

Hail to the king baby!!! Doom that is...not duke. :p

I remember Corridor 7..or at least I think I do. God awful FPS on the megadrive.

Remember Faceball? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Speaking of Duke, any word on what form the Duke Nukem game is going to take on the GBA? Will we be blessed with a conversion of DN:3D?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

That game is EB / GAME exclusive.
    Bugger

• Advertisement
Advertisement