Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compression software for MP3 PLayer???

• 07-10-2001 2:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭

Right, just got an mp3 player and know **** all bout it (thats y im axin yee and not checkin linternet :D)
    The only problem is that it seems to only be able to store about 10 MP3's on it and i want more, The memory i got wiv it inst the right one so that has to be sent back and so i need to live off 32 MB ram, Its a Samsung Yepp-NEP and i was just wondering can you get software for it and such...

:D

^dOOdEE^

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Hmm well most MP3's are ripped at 128Kb/s which divided by 8
    (to get bytes) and multiplyed 60 seconds gives us about 1MB per minute. So that would give you 32 mins of music (roughly)
    which is about 10 average songs.

to get more songs onto ur mp3 player download (or rip as the case may be) songs which have a lower bitrate. like 96Kb/s
    which will give you about 50 mins of music. But the quality will degrade a little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭R. Daneel Olivaw

Well if you are looking for decent encoding and ripping software, try CDex which is totally free and very very good.

32MB is far too small to deal with - and if you need quality and nice bass, you'll need to encode at 160+, preferably 192. The best option is a cheaper CD discman that will read MP3s on CDRs, if you care.

CDex is good though.

Them CD/mp3 players are grand
    but can be a bit dodgy with certain types of Cds
    you can get abot 150 songs onto one:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

yeah i think all the mp3z need to be at 128kbit and 44khz for mp3 cd disc men to read them.

otherwise itll not behave nicley.

anyone know how this affects battery life, the actual reading of mp3z rather that digital audio. is it more efficient or does it use more battery power?

thoughts anyone?

battery charge more or less the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

I have a goodmans mp3/cd discman. Its pretty cool, I can fit on average 150 songs onto cd's. The quality is good also, but you will notice a bad quality mp3 if you have decent headphones at a loud volume. I'm fairly sure I have some 64kbit mp3's on one of my cd's, and it plays fine. The only downside is it is quite sensitive to scratches/dirt on the cd, and will skip to the next track if there is a bad scratch.

Battery life is actually surprisingly good, I travelled around europe for nearly 3 weeks, and I'd say I got at least 8 hours out of each set of batteries. I reckon mp3 playing does not take as much power, although it has to decode the mp3's, this is not much more stressful than decoding a normal cd. Also, the cd player does not have to spin at near the same rpm, since the data stream is much smaller. So I reckon its slightly more efficient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

I have a NAPA Dav 315 and im well happy with it - have cd's here with almose 200 song on each and it playes fine - i even have some comedy mp3's on like 16 bit rate 10005 khz or summit and it played them fine also ! - again like gerry's machine it is a but sensitive on scrathed cd's more so than a cd-rom drive but over all im well happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Do discmans read mp3's? AFAIK I know mine can read .wav files.

Also when burning them do you use the audio or data option on your software?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

click on the link im my post and it will explain all !!

.wav files get converted into .cda while your burning the cd,
    they are roughy the same format.
    mp3's are compressed wav files and cannot be read by a standard laser and have to be decoded, only mp3 cd walkmen can do this
    the average cd song is just under 10MB per min

mp3's are around 1MB per min

so thats why cds can hold more mp3's than .cda(wav) files

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭R. Daneel Olivaw

Regarding the above post about CD Mp3s needing to be 128kbit/s, is this really true?

Or is it possible to have them in decent quality. I.e., some of the 90minute+ CDRs can hold loads of excellent quality 256Kbit/s albums (about 5-6 per CD at least). I am interested in making my car Mp3 friendly, but the HD options are very expensive, so I figured maybe a £100 MP3 discman would substitute. Or my Amiga with a power supply and big hard disk, but that's more work) (lots more work).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Bit Rate compatibility depends on the player really, it is well worth checking before you buy. Ideally it should support up to 320Kbs and VBR (Variable bitrate). I picked up the Philip's Expanium early this year and have yet to see a CDR/CDRW it can't read, or an MP3 it won't play (I normally use VBR at ~256kbs).

If you're dead set on a 'solid state' (ram) player then try and get one with a Compact Flash type 2 slot. this will take normal compact flash cards but also allows you to add an IBM microdrive (same size) later if you want (And they go up to 1gb at the moment).

Software combo I'd recommend would be Audiograbber and the LAME encoder plugin. Ag will set you back about $18 but it has everything you would ever need to make great MP3's painlessly.

Advertisement