Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd phone line probs :(

• 15-02-2000 7:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

i just got a second phone line today, but when i went to dial up on it it would only connect at 28 kpbs or 31kpbs, i usuasly connect at 42 666.

So can someone tell me the prob, how to fix it etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 dollar

Well try the same connection with the other line and then with your 2nd line. If you are still getting a diff. in bandwidth then get on eircom or who ever you got the line off to test the line and make sure there is no noise on the line.

Also if they give you that ,The line is not ment for data bull then ask them how your supposed to connect to eircomfree!

My connection speeds went down to 20,000k when a rat ate the line into my house!

[This message has been edited by dollar (edited 15-02-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Most likely problem is internal wiring. Its ez to check.
    L-1 = original line
    L-2 = new line

Put L-2 into ure PC. Follow the wire back to the main (first) junction where I presume you will find both of the lines side by side. There is a phone socket that the line goes into obviously. Simply unplug L-2 from its socket (socket2). Now unplug L-1 from its socket (socket1) and insert it into socket2. Now the original wiring is carrying the new line. Reconnect and check ure connect speed. If it improves it means Eircom screwed the wiring.
    If its still crap, it could still be eircom messed up the wiring in the main jucntion. smile.gif
    It only takes a second to try smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Vincent

I'll try that paladin, just gonna a be a bit akward cause the new line is in separtate part of me house sad.gif

wow my first post before headin off to scool smile.gif

Rang eircom up, i wasn't on the phone so not sure exactely what prob is, but the 2 lines are sharing same cord/wire or something like that, so next week i get to dig up me garden smile.gif and have 2 separate cords/wires whatever goin to junction box, which is about 15m away sad.gif

another question i found out the other day u can get u're line optimized for data transfers, the line is called I.S.T.N, can u have telephone conversations on this? same question goes to isdn line smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 dollar

Will some explane this ISTN thing or tell us where to get info pls. I have a 2nd line for the net and this sounds good. But what does it cost.

• Advertisement

i don't have a clue about ISTN, i'm gonna have a gander at eircom's site now and see can i find anything smile.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I only get 28,800bps connection all the time, im using a 2nd line, ive tried 3 modems with latest v90 drivers a pace, a diamondpro and 3com on 5 different isps, always 28,800. I tried 3 other phonelines in the house, still the same result.

U might have same problem as me, u're new line was put in the same line/cord as u're old one and there sharing the same wiring,or something like that smile.gif, I used to connect at 42.6kpbs before i got 2nd line which was about 4 days ago, now i only connect at 28kpbs. Ring up eircom and tell them u're problem and they will solve it. Only thing is u'll have to do most of the work u're self sad.gif

Just after gettin me line fixed smile.gif, but it says i'm connecting at 50, 666 bps, i thought that irish telephone lines could only reach 44,000 bps, is windows lying to me, or have eircom made up for ****in up my lines in the first place, and i really am getting 50,666 bps ?????????

Ping is quake is pretty much the same, a bit lower,but my average download speed of napster has gone from 4.2k/sec to 5.2k/sec, so i must be connectin at 50,666 bps smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Vincent (edited 25-02-2000).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

For some reason win98 (and Netmedic) tell me I'm connecting at 56k 98% of the time.
    Doesn't actually translate at a lower ping or download rate though.

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 omni

Originally posted by dollar:
    Will some explane this ISTN thing or tell us where to get info pls. I have a 2nd line for the net and this sounds good. But what does it cost.

An ISDN line is essentially a digital line to your house. ISDN Basic Rate access gives you two 64Kb/s B channels and a 16Kb/s D channel (used for signalling). You need a piece of equipment called a Terminal Adaptor (TA), or an ISDN router to make use of the line.

You can have two separate calls to two different locations at once (given the right TA/router), and some ISPs allow you to use multilink PPP to bind together the two B channels to give you 128Kb/s.

eircom have just cut the price of ISDN - it's £199 for a new line or £99 to upgrade an existing line to ISDN (inc Vat). Line rental is £29 per month plus VAT and calls are charged at normal rates.

Ocean and eircom's free services allow ISDN, but I don't think Esat's does. Esat Surf No Limits doesn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

aHate to rain on your parade omni but Eircom have not dropped there prices yet. They is however a "change" occuring next Tuesday the 6th of March. I know this cause I rang to get my existing lines converted this morning. I can wait another week. Can't wait to see the LPB muppets on the UK instagib servers reaction when they see I'm a LPBer as well, probally panic smile.gif

Gandalf.

[This message has been edited by gandalf (edited 28-02-2000).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

"Can't wait to see the LPB muppets on the UK instagib servers reaction when they see I'm a LPBer as well, probally panic"

probably fall over laughing more like it paul wink.gif

Your Dungeon Is On An Incline.
    Irate Creatures Cannot Play Marbles.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 omni

So I'm a week early! smile.gif

Advertisement