Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Phantom FM have an unsigned hour?

• 08-10-2001 9:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭

Should Phantom FM have an unsigned hour?

Just wondering if people on this board would be interested in a regular hour of unsigned bands that would help us, the local bands who are playing in an around Dublin attract more people to the gigs? I fully understand how well Phantom is supporting the many Bands on the scene with the ICON show, pluglist and also with playing demos that are sent in so am not having a rant just a suggestion that I think could work well> Perhaps people feel that unsigned bands remain unsigned for a reason and that's fair enough, having said that I personally feel that there are huge levels of talent out there with hardly anyone being aware of its existance.

I think it would be cool if there was an hour dedicated to just unsigned acts that are currently playing in the scene. Through gigsmart I’ve received bundles of discs from really really good bands…from all over the country not just Dublin.
    I think it’s a waste of good talent and more people would be into the stuff if it got a little attention on a dedicated slot within the Phantom schedule.Its just a thought I don't want people flying off the handle ranting that I have a vested interest, of course I do, but my interest goes beyond my own personal ambition to succeed but to see band that deserve it , get to do well in Dublin....I think that's realistic ?.

All the best, thanks to phantom if they give this request any consideration......ICON is the business, thumbs up and keep it going Paul Clarke!!!

Later - Trev.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Sounds like a great idea to me. Thumbs up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭DG - Corrupted

Yep. That sounds reasonable to me.

:-)

DG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Pencapchew

Good idea trev.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Paul Hare

I am in an unsigned band and anything to promote unsigned Irish bands is a great idea and I think every band should communicate with each other to help each other.

One of the reasons why I think phantom FM is great is the way it plays and promotes Irish bands.
    They'll play a song from an unknown Irish band the next by a huge American signed band.
    I don't notice any lack of quality or any reason why not this Irish band should be played in the DJs track listings.
    Instead of pointing out that these guys are unsigned just point out that they are great and you should check them out live.
    The channels I think we should be trying to get an unsigned hour is with the likes of 2FM. FM104, well especially FM104 who seem
    to never play up and coming Irish unless they are in the charts.

Paul

[url]Http://www.ginsengmusic.net[/url]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Hey there Paul,
    Approaching all the stations you mentioned above is unfortunatley not very productive I refer you to this post http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30394

were we've all chatted at length about the idea

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭mixer007

I think Paul is right. Phantom already play unsigned bands and they should have an hour long show to promote the best of irish unsigned bands. But what we really need is to get the commercial stations to play demos. Of course they'll all be very reluctant being as stuck up as they are. We need some way around this, like someone to sponsor the show. I know it sounds like selling out for alot of bands, and it's not very trendy to be looking for sponsorship, but it's probably the only way a director of programming for any of these stations would even let you in the door. There is no use in going to any of these stations unless you can offer them a package, and part of that package must garuantee listeners and sponsors. in other words we need to sell out to be heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 THE JESSIES

yeah great idea , its only seems right to have an hour of unsigned acts on phantom,,,,,,,,,,,,i mean if there playing them already whats the harm!
    jessica insane
    writhe
    brand and
    seprico play the shelter on the 20th oct.

<someone catch me or break my fall im an exabishonist>:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭skittles

I can see your point Trev but Paul hit the nail on the head. A dedicated "unsigned" show would probably be of less benefit to bands, i couldn't see it generating much listenership as I dont think the average listener has a dedicated interest in the local scene. The method of short sharp blasts of unsigned acts amid more established acts means more exposure and credability for local bands, not to mention the flattery and sheer kick I get out of being played along side my Idols!!! Paul Clarke's Icon is very close to an unsigned show as it is, It's an excellent show and a much better and less blatent Idea than playing non stop demo's for a couple of hours...it's a well though out aproach, as i'm sure Phantom have considered various formats for Paul's show.

Well thats my rant...BTW thanks Phantom for the airplay and keep up the good work Trev, You've got the dedication alright.

Dave
    =====
    (¯`·._-=url]www.aftertheparty.net[/url=-_.·´¯)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭francie brady

Yes they should. Nearly every gig you go to has a unsigned band as support, and most of them just need a break. What a good idea Mr M. Another good idea would be a Zappa tribute on his anniversary. So support your unsigned bands and a Zappa tribute show, plzzzzzzzz. I will not let it die!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Hi guys ,
    Thanks to everyone for the input , I think there are some great points. The angle I was coming at is that there is a great number of quality bands that are unsigned and do on occassion get to play with the big boys, the quality is there but the exposure is soooooooo limited most of the time. The point that people are not interested in the local scene is a great point if not THE POINT.....the local scene exists in a sort bland, stagnent condition.... it trundles along with very little incentive for anyone to make a difference.. audiences , musicians and venues are stuck in a rut for want of a better term...I propose to work form the band side of it , get them together to organise themselves and help where I can...... the other factors need to be addressed also to remove the stagnenecy,

why go to a gig.....to a band you've never heard, why pay 5 or 6 quid in, why pay to see a mixed bag of the unexpected....if you start to address these things you start to see how the scene can be improved in order to MAKE IT WORTH BEING INTERESTED IN....as I said, the bands are good enough at this point I really really believe it, I have loads of material sent to me to support this and am currently trying to get someone in the industry to independantly review the stuff I have from gigsmart bands.

The idea of a phantom hour in my view would be to show people who do go to the gigs that there is a backbone to sustain a scene.....there is a band network, there are regular gigs, there is a radio station that plays these bands....the theory is that if the scene has the appearance of being sustainable with a constant flow of talent, gigs, media exposure and improvement, people will start to take interest......as phantom know all too well convincing people(IRTC) that you have something sustainable is half the battle. An hour on Phantom is another deliverable in my view to show that there are building blocks in place to create that scene, again I take onboard the comments made previously and am grateful to everyone who takes the time to actually make a point whether or not it is contrary to my views.

Better go and do some work now.....please add more of your ideas and thoughts however small they appear as ideas are the fuel for the enthusiasm.

All the best

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Gar_ptc

well,i personally dont listen to phantom to hear specific music,i put it on whenever,though i am partial to shane atlas on tues afternoons,
    but i think throughout the whole day is just as productive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 velouria

somebody said something about not really getting a listenership for a show like that if it was put on. i cant agree cosi would like to think that i have some kind of ear out for new music and that kind of show would realy interest me. i try to listen to mister paul c. whenever i can for the same reasons. One of your main points trev was that they were unsigned dublin and irish bands. thats cool, but did you ever think of looking a little further afield? it might not be all that easy but as well as unsigned irish bands how bout obscure foreign(so to speak) stuff. i would love to hear that too

Advertisement