Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Lan - Sod CS!?

• 08-10-2001 1:27pm
    Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Considering that quite a few budding mappers shall be at this LAN, how about we all discuss the future of the Mapping Community over a few drinks!?

That's the good thing about the scene - Quite a lot of the people actually live in Galway.

Myself,
    Ronan,
    Danny,
    Dem,
    Drake,
    RaVeN,
    and a few others...

We could all whip out worldcraft at the LAN and see who can make the l33test object in an hour - Hehe we could get pics and submit it to the site as the First Irish Mapping Competition...

Anyway, give me your thoughts... Galway LAN + Mappers = !?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Great ide0r!

although my mapping sklls arent as 1337 as ye lot, tbh only for danny id neevr have done any maps he used to stop me shouting at WC :D and prevented me from beating the puter with a shovel.

But alas as ive now got a pc up here in gawlay now ill start mapping again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

w00t!

wan teh first worldcraft lan!

seriously though,

i need ram.

64MB RAM+COMPILE+HLVIS=LOSE :(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭[CALIBUR]

can i use quark plz!. its a other map maker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

If i can i`ll be there definately and 0wn you all with my terrible clipping and vertex manipulation lol got the same prob here drake ram owns us all

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Ok basically if we want to go through with this, you must use a common Mapping program - (ie. Worldcraft, Quark etc).

Mappers are then spread around the room, and someone shouts "go", or hit's AngelWhore and makes him scream or something, and we map... You'd have half an hour or whatever time we want to agree on, to create anything... Any textures can be used, no prefabs - Must be completely your own work...

After we hit AngelWhore again after half an hour and he screams, we stop - Compile and we all put the work onto eachothers comp to test - Group vote, and the most liked object / room / creation gets put on the webby with some pics, a pat on the back, and maybe some free pints :D

Just a thought... I dont want to spend the weekend at this LAN just playing CS... Want to do some creative stuff too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Originally posted by DRakE
    w00t!

i need ram.

goto http://www.itbdirect.com

there ram prices are dirt cheap i.e 128 megs for under 20 quid so go buy buy buy!

Also Danny you ass goto that site and buy some as well and while your at it order 128 for me and get the old pair to pay for it :)

And as for the start stop mechanism isnt it against the law to hit humans as timers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Murhahaha, I can get RAM cheaper than that...
    LALALALALALA.
    But anyway's, count me in for the competition. I'm pretty ****e, and its been a rather long time since I've used it, but I'll attempt to have a go. I hope you have some rules - such as if its a map...leaks = bad :P - but I dont really mind all the same.

I think we should all spend a few hours building a l33t map, and then have a mad time playing it. I know maps usually take REALLY long to build, but with so many builders we can through some kind of thing together in a few hours.

umm,

ivan, what price would you give me for 256RAM?

I NEED MORE!

[but don't use that as an excuse to rip me off :p]

that sounds like a kewl idea anyway rope,

/me likes hitting ppl [angelwhore will do if there's none around at the time though :):):):):)]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Hehhe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Hehhe
    My l337 plotting skills will own all you puny 'pure' mappers......
    All your leaks and texture cock-ups is caused by meh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Kewl idea i'm definitly in. Maybe we could all make rats maps or a new jeepathon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 mcderd

that'd be a good laugh but we might all be afraid to turn up because of 6pak oh no!

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Originally posted by Ivan
    Murhahaha, I can get RAM cheaper than that...
    LALALALALALA.

Good for you... Pity I got 128megs of RAM free, isn't it!?

Upgraded from 64mb to 192mb, and now im a happy camper, despite the fact my computer has been "Confiscated" for a short period of time...

Im in Sleepzone right now, I usually pop in around 12-2 the odd day to check on you lot :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

My arent we narky ;P

I get RAM for free mehself, but I sell for money :P

Well...kinda.

Me and elexes are heading up this weekend to see you guys. Elexes has his g/f to visit if everything falls through and no one turns up but I'll be be looking at paint peel for the rest of the night if no one is around. Someone PM me a mobile or two.

Think I have Dav's no. here someplace, but he's also out getting pished some place.

Syx or doodee or any of ye's wanna meet up and errr....raid Doodee's place...I mean go for drinks...it would be cool. We're supposed to be discussing this LAN, and where to have it, what ye want us to bring etc. etc.

So someone had best be around cos I dont feel up for looking at paint dry/peel...thanks all the same ;)

FS!

DAmnit Ivan , how much will RAM cost me! I want 256 More than what i have...let me no plskthncggpwn3d :)~~~~

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

well me thinks this is a good ida . also thinks this is my first time to post on this board . never made a map myself but would like to look and see the results . lets say 2 hrs to make the map winner gets a bottle of vodka . not for drinking but just to look at ... ill go off and drink ti all myself mine mine all mine

i can't make cs map because it takes some time to learn it so fcuk it i make quake 1 map. can I PLZ

Originally posted by #MEAT#
    i can't make cs map because it takes some time to learn it so fcuk it i make quake 1 map. can I PLZ
    no.

:p

i was taking to ropedrink

Well the main idea was to use worldcraft for CS, but now Quake has been thrown into the fray... It's hard to say really, they are two completely different games, especially when it comes to mapping...

I don't think we should single it out, though... If people can map, then they should be let map in the contest, so long as a familiar mapping program is used ie. Worldcraft and Quark etc...

If you can map for quake on Worldcraft / Quark etc, then go for it - If any other program is used, Im sorry but I'll have to say no :(

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Ivan
    My arent we narky ;P

Dear Ivan, I wasn't narky at all at all, just saying how lucky I was to get the RAM for free :D

I would never have bought it, money is hard to come by when you're me ;)

meat,

you CAN use quark to make cs maps!

a good ffew ppl i know use it....smolders [teh guy who made de_rottterdam] uses it...

-WAN

i don't have much time to waste around with cs in quark because i'm helping doodee with the GL2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭ThrAx

**** ye all,

ill have my own q3 apping contest and only me, vol and that fag named meat are invited :P

seriously though, biasedness and prejudice are bad, let the originals have a try (although they all know im the only one in ireland who can q3 map properly, well in galway at least so ill only win)

well im workin on a new q3 masterpeice plus i have study to do so i suppose ill cyas at the lan, ill prolly put meh new maps wot i make before the an on meh site though

o&o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭ThrAx

Originally posted by RopeDrink
    Well the main idea was to use worldcraft for CS, but now Quake has been thrown into the fray... It's hard to say really, they are two completely different games, especially when it comes to mapping...

I don't think we should single it out, though... If people can map, then they should be let map in the contest, so long as a familiar mapping program is used ie. Worldcraft and Quark etc...

If you can map for quake on Worldcraft / Quark etc, then go for it - If any other program is used, Im sorry but I'll have to say no :(

soz rope about the last post, didnt see this one, ill be mapping for the quakers at the lan as well as meat and vol probably

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

Dare I suggest rather than focusing on a 1 hour competition at the lan where everyone will only be able to come up with the most basic outline of a level (though probably enjoying themselves), perhaps everyone should work on a level before the LAN and bring it in to show? Much more for people to play with and explore - it would also be nice if you got everyone to play test the more complete levels, since getting that sorta criticism is invaluable experience and good fun for the level designer.

Green mate, it's not like that at all...

We'll all be showing off our maps anyway, but the idea of this mapping event is to spend half an hour or so mapping whatever you want... It can be anything you think up... Beit a football, a toothpick, the grand canyon, a rocking horse... whatever...

It can be a landscape, or a garden or god knows what... When the time is up we all go and take a peek, and decide which one we like the best. I don't want people mapping whole levels, it takes quite a while just to plan a layout (If your one of those people...)

Will you be there Green!?

Advertisement