Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dreamcast Questions

Options
  • 08-10-2001 1:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭

I've recently bought a secondhand dreamcast and have a few questions if anyone can answer.

Firstly, I have dreamkey, but it's registered to the previous owner and I cant change it so therefore it wont connect to the net.
    Does anyone know how i can get around this?

2: I know that with the right disk dreamcasts can play Mp3s.
    Can they also play Vcds and Mpegs? If so, how?

3: is it possible to buy an adaptor to use a normal PC mouse?

4: What else apart from video gaming is this machine capable of?

And last of all, does anyone have any old cheap dreamcast games kicking around that they no longer play?

if anyone can help I would be extremely grateful.

many thanks

jes

jessetill@hotmail.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Firstly, I have dreamkey, but it's registered to the previous owner and I cant change it so therefore it wont connect to the net.
    Does anyone know how i can get around this?
    Get a new Dreamkey CD? I assume you can still pick one up around the place.

2: I know that with the right disk dreamcasts can play Mp3s.
    Can they also play Vcds and Mpegs? If so, how?
    Yeah, with a piece of software called "GYP Play", you can get it from dcemulation. It'll play just most video formats.
    3: is it possible to buy an adaptor to use a normal PC mouse?
    Yep. Just not in any shops around the place. For this kind of thing, you need to go mail order - try http://www.eclectic-vg.com/dreamcast/dreamcastndls.htm
    4: What else apart from video gaming is this machine capable of?
    I blame sony for making people believe that games consoles should do everything, from playing games, to making toast. Teasmaid 2000X with dual analog controllers. But you're in luck - since the price has fallen, people have started hacking stuff for the dreamcast. Now, it can be a retro gaming machine, a UNIX box, a.. uh.. tea.. maker. Oh, I don't know - just go to http://www.dcemulation.com.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭jes

cheers for that. great help.

problem is,

the dreamkey was brand new i had to tear off the plastic so i know it hadnt been used previously.

any other ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

There is a way of wiping the DC memory that contains the date, time and afaik dream key info. System reset i think it's under. If you have any old manuals that came with the machine / dreamkey check them up

i found a site on it

Reset Internet Connection
    When you're downloading something & its taking too long or it freezes press X+Y+A+B+START to reset the internet connection & start again from the begining.

NOTE: this will not damage or reset the internal memory of the dreamcast.

Resetting Internal Memory
    To reset your Dreamcast's internal RAM, insert the Web Browser CD into your Dreamcast. Now plug a single controller into slot B amd hold buttons B and X while turning on the system. Continue to hold them until the Web Browser's login screen appears.

Note: This is very useful if you were disconnected while registering with Worldnet. It's the only way to restart the process.

Restart Games
    Press all four pad buttons and then hit start to reset your game

http://www.consolegaming.com/Sega/Dreamcast/cheats/cheats/DreamcastSystem.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

[Yes, and I can "point" you to the door. Don't let it hit you in the áss on the way out. - Shinji]

• Advertisement

rofl,wan shinji ya nazi :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Uh huh. Post messages advertising warez and then call the moderator a Nazi. You're really good at this whole making friends and influencing people thing yeah?

hmmm i was only joking,so here's a tissue to wipe away the teardrop
    and as for warez whats wrong with me telling sum1 were to get cheap dc games?? its hard enough to find a place that sells dc games in ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

and as for warez whats wrong with me telling sum1 were to get cheap dc games??

You forgot to mention that the cheap dreamcast games are illegal. I think you'll find that that is where the problem is.
    its hard enough to find a place that sells dc games in ireland

Try GAME, Virgin, HMV or EB. All my local music/game shops have Dreamcast games, and they're extremely cheap. There was also a recent thread on this board on where to find cheap, legal DC games.

aye well i was buyin games for it till all tham shops you just mentioned didnt have any of the games i wanted,not even jet set radio ffs,i dont think i've ever seen ecco,cant get rayman2 anywere,sure virgin megastore doesnt even sell dc games anymore,hmv has the ****est selection,eb and game have had the same dc games on there shelfs for the past 2 months,with the odd new game
    sure capcom vs snk2 might not even get released over here and im allready playin it

• Advertisement

cheap games??? where can i find cheap games for my beloved dreamcast??

pls email me

jessetill@hotmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Rasta, Jah may say that what you do is righteous, and there are many things that are illegal that people do, but don't go on about them in a public forum. Dig?

haha yeh amp,np

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I might have a couple of Dc games i could sell ya , trouble is dc games are just so high quality

which?

Advertisement