Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First time Linux installation.

• 08-10-2001 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭

I've finally got my hands on a copy of SuSe 7.1 and i'm looking to install it, maybe this weekend. I've got a pretty good idea of what to do. But just have a few questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here goes ( sorry if these questions seem realy dumb ):

1) I've got a 72Gb hard disk that hasn't been defragged and i'm just wondering if it needs to be defragged before i partition. I only ask because it takes ages to defrag it and i'd like to save as much time as possible.

2) I've got partition magic 6, i take it's safe to partition my HD with this? Any suggestions on what size partition i should use?

3) Should i just use LiLo or are there any better OS loaders?

I can't really think of anything else at the moment. If there's anything else i should know, i'd appreciate it if you could tell me.

Cheers,

Killian

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

It's probably not a bad idea to defrag (do as I say not as i do) before you go fscking with $uckblows partitions as you may have some unmoveable data right where you want to put your new partition (cough I defrag all the time honest ...cough :D )
    Anyway I guess defrag windows repartition and make say 3 partitions for linux one @ 1gb / one @ 1.5gb /usr 800-900 mb for /home or bigger if you feel the need, having /home on it's own partition in case you have to zap the other 2 partitions for some reason or so the winsdom would appear to go ?
    SuSE might actually have some facility for resizing the wind0W$ partition any way after you do remember to run scandisk on your windows partition, so looser_blows knows it has a smaller partition now or sumthin?
    Oh run defrag and scandisk before you install linux as it's either scandisk or defrag overwrites your mbr I don't remember which (could be both) without so much as asking (typically rude don't you think?). If you are using w2k or ntX variants then you will probably have to install lilo to the root linux partition and add a bootsect yoke for that partition I think?

I guess you could use the grub, but unless you plan on booting GNU-Hurd or something else similar sometime soon why goto the bother?

Post if you get into trouble ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭moist

Originally posted by Typedef

$uckblows
    wind0W$
    looser_blows

I am by no means an advocate of Microsoft products,
    but that sort of lark just makes you look silly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I am by no means an advocate of Microsoft products,
    but that sort of lark just makes you look silly.

I agree. I mean, everyone knows it's "microshaft windoze"! :)

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

For about the fourth time on the boards...

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/4.4-RELEASE/tools/boot.bin

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/4.4-RELEASE/tools/bootinst.exe

Download both files, drag boot.bin onto bootinst.exe and that should be it. Nice free bootloader, no configuration, no hassle, end of story.

Advertisement