Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Over a year later, the sub of death comes up

• 08-10-2001 5:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

Kursk Raised From Seabed

Russia's ill-fated Kursk nuclear submarine has been successfully raised from the arctic seabed and docked to a salvage barge.

After a marathon salvage operation, the Kursk was attached to the barge about 3pm UK time.

The barge is now heading with the Kursk towards dry dock in the town of Roslyakovo, outside the northern port city of Murmansk. The journey is expected to take two days.

The 18,000-tonne Kursk had been sitting in mud on the Barents seabed for more than a year after a series of as-yet unexplained explosions resulted in the death of all 118 crew on board.

The Interfax news agency quoted Larissa van Seumeren, spokeswoman for Dutch salvage contractors Mommoet, as confirming the Kursk had been safely attached to the Giant-4 barge.
    taken from Sky News: http://www.sky.com/skynews/storytemplate/storytoppic/0,,30000-1031674,00.html

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Under normal circumstances, one w'd appluad such a feat of engineering.
    Do the Russias still think that it was a Western sub that sunk the Kursk & any info on radiation levels?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by Manach

Do the Russias still think that it was a Western sub that sunk the Kursk & any info on radiation levels?

Um... I'm not entirely sure...

hang on there while I get me ould mate Vlad Putin on the blower and find out...

:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

While you're at it could explain how Yelsein's liver still functioned, the public deserve an explanation :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

There was a good program on it a while back. It came to the very plausible and well supported conclusion that a torpedo malfunctioned on board the Kursk and caused a massive explosion in the forward torpedo room.

K

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭Paleface

Yeah I saw that . It was very interesting. Aparrently some fluid used inside the torpedo leaked out and reacted with the metal casing, causing an explosion that triggered the demise of the sub. I think its the most plausible answer so far. I sincerely doubt that two subs collided now that the cold war is over.

• Advertisement
Advertisement