Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wan is Sligo

• 08-10-2001 10:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

I'm determined to set up a Wan in Sligo i've waited long enough for dsl. The only problem is i don't really know how. So anyone who is interested please contact me in icq on 78404421 or email me at simi1@iol.ie. I've been reading up on it and it seems pretty cheap and cost effective.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Have a looksee at http://www.irishwan.org/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Simi

I have been making some progress with setting up the wan in Sliog but have run into a little snag how exactly dou get a connection to the internet that is 11mbits a second?:confused:

Sure just hook up to an ATM backbone. No probs. It doesn't cost too much, if you're a lotto winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Vorrtexx

Just Connect it to the Sligo IT Internet Server.
    They Get 10+mbit/second.
    I'm sure they wouldn't mind ;-)

Sounds pretty easy but there are alot of mountains in the way and Sligo it is on possibly the lowest lying ground in Sligo plus its out of range were setting up over the other side of Sligo sticking and Antenna up on Knocknarae think anyone would notice;) I think it might be easier to buy an i.p. line off esat. Any other Wans want to tell me where they got there connection?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

There are no other community run ones yet, but at Irishwan we have discussed connection, e.t.c. for those we are planning. Prices for solar power systems, e.t.c. have been posted, and some ideas for unattended solar powered access points have been posted. Ppl in Dublin are considering sharing the iScream multiuser uncapped version among themselves.

Brendan

Whats the point in setting up a really expensive Wan if theres nothing to connect it too?

Whats really expensive ? The gear is not cheap but its not a rip off either.

And the point is to link up a community. Create a local internet. Internet access will be one of the aims but it will not be the main motivation for setting up the Wan, and for many Wans it might only be a future aim. Especially with the price of bandwidth in this country. When cheap broadband comes out no doubt the various cells in each Wan will get their Internet source.

Well our main aim is to set up cheap high speed internet access were going to ring esat and get some prices then work out how many users we would need and how much bandwith they would get each. I got a map of the broadband network and there are about 5 lines going straight in to Sligo. But this is getting less likely now that we've seen how much it costs.

Advertisement