Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone Bill arrived. One more kick in the nuts by Eircon

Options
  • 09-10-2001 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭

IR£146

Other than venting I'd be curious to know how much others are spending on their phones? I'm guessing £100-110 of my bill was on the internet, all off-peak.

[Edit]

And an extra EXTRA kick in the nuts is the raising of equipment rental from £1.32 to £1.77.

From 'For the record' (Marketing Bo***x):

This price change is necessary in order to cover the associated costs of providing this service.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

My last bill was 240 pounds, on a line just for my net connection and just used during off peak hours :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭R. Daneel Olivaw

That's what's so insane: exactly WHAT increases in the "service" of providing what is already in your home (the handset) means increased rental costs.

If anything, they buy the phones for say £20, and charge the monthly fee. How has their cost for providing for what is already paid for by them increased? It's utter madness, and pure arm-chancing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I was away for over a week this month, and mine was [edited to clarify that the bill was for one month]:

IR£153.51/month

It's normally between £200 and £250.

Other than venting I'd be curious to know how much others are spending on their phones? I'm guessing £100-110 of my bill was on the internet, all off-peak.

I'd say about 95% of my monthly bill goes on Internet calls, as I tend to avoid using the phone where possible. I simply don't need it for the most part.

And an extra EXTRA kick in the nuts is the raising of equipment rental from £1.32 to £1.77.

Eh, so give it back? You don't have to keep the phone, you can drop into your local Telecenter and tell 'em where to stick it. Don't forget to get a receipt...

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

well because I am a scabby git and get all the access I need at work my home bill only comes to £70.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

£201.50

For the last 2 months

My bill has been upto £300 (per 2 months) at one stage. My aim is to have it down to £150 for the next two months. This is not because I cant afford it…its because I’m angry with Eircom. I now do all my heavy duty downloading at work.

BTW I work in a company that has massive phone bills. Like £1000-£2000 per month. Recently I persuaded one of the directors to change from Eircom to Worldcom.

Annoying people like me is going to cost you Eircom, feel my wrath!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I will. Seeing as how the phone coird was cut by the mother when a bill for £166 came in the door.
    Funny thing was for the last month I've only being going online from college. And the month before that I purposely didn't go on half as much.
    The last bill before this one was £157 and i know I wass on a good bit. i used that Netbuddy, properly configured the pricing.
    I reckon I've been shafted by eircom.
    Kill Kill The Deamon Mouse!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

£330

Now thats for 1 Analogue and 1 ISDN Line which means I pay £86 before call charges!

I am looking at getting rid of the Analogue line but Eircom being the Customer Service directed organisation they are cannot remap my number onto one of the 2 ISDN channels (now that may be a big deal I don't know but the fact they refused and were quite rude without giving an explanation as to why not has pissed me off)

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭P R O F A N I T Y

£103, but i have weekend calls for my secound line, which is cps with ntl. Why would i have weekend internet calls when im on ntls service all weekend. i think they are thriefing from me and i plain to ring them tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭kendragon

I switched over to Digiphone when i was getting no limits that time and never switched back...

My montly bills usually were around £80 a month... so i was paying about £160 every two months and a further £30 to eircon pretty close to the £200 mark.

Now i'm with Chorus and i dont pay any line rental... calls are as cheap as Eircoms and I use powernet, so i pay £40 for the powernet allways on internet and i'm guessing that my first phone bill will probably be about £12 at the most....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

£110 ex. VAT for 1 month... making
    £132.00 p/m

it's usually slightly more... anything up to £160.

now that I think of it, ADSL would be cheaper, of course...

not that that's an excuse for the pricing of ADSL!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

These are shocking amounts of money to be paying for basic 56K and ISDN. You can see why Eircom won't willingly supply ADSL at rates remotely similar to other developed countries.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

£330

Yikes!

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭kendragon

Originally posted by Bard
    £110 ex. VAT for 1 month... making
    £132.00 p/m

it's usually slightly more... anything up to £160.

now that I think of it, ADSL would be cheaper, of course...

not that that's an excuse for the pricing of ADSL!

Yeah but are you taking into account normal non-internet phone use with that amount? and you still have to pay your line rental with ASDL. It would probably work out more

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by kendragon

Yeah but are you taking into account normal non-internet phone use with that amount?

No. That's all Internet calls.

and you still have to pay your line rental with ASDL. It would probably work out more

Is this a fact???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

my bill 2 months ago was for £1100+ (for 2 months)

(some 'international' work during the daytime accounted for lots of that)

hence why I say ADSL would be a godsend for my house :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by tHE vAGGABOND
    my bill 2 months ago was for £1100+ (for 2 months)

(some 'international' work during the daytime accounted for lots of that)

hence why I say ADSL would be a godsend for my house :)
    Just think, if you were in almost any other country in Europe you would be getting ADSL for £40-£50 per month (uncapped) but since people are willing to hand over vast amounts of money to Eircom for obsolete technology, this is not going to happen here. Seriously, if I were paying this sort of phone bill I would consider the emmigration boat. The really sad thing is that people are starting to accept the status quo here are starting to consider £200 for uncapped DSL "not THAT expensive".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Inf

My last bill was £220 (one month) with esat :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Although I agree that local call charges are utterly stupid as they are - you know (or at least you should know) what the call charges are, and use the service only as much as you want to be charged.
    I have to laugh at people getting all upset over a £100 phone bill though, in comparison to what other people regularly pay for their net access in this country.
    I'd love to get a £150 phone bill... man, that'd be sweet :D

Originally posted by Bard

Is this a fact???
    yes it is, eircom.net and eircom are seperate, the £97 you pay is to eircom net. the line rental goes to another department.

and it probably wouldnt be cheaper taken per mb charges into account

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

ill let yis know when i get my first bill:)

I had phone bills of like 200-300 before i got onto snl. When i was on SNL i was able to keep to purely offpeak use. So i think ill be able to control myself with the 3g cap (i hope) and so it will work out much cheaper for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭acous

Originally posted by gandalf
    I am looking at getting rid of the Analogue line but Eircom being the Customer Service directed organisation they are cannot remap my number onto one of the 2 ISDN channels (now that may be a big deal I don't know but the fact they refused and were quite rude without giving an explanation as to why not has pissed me off)
    Hmm, we got this done on our line.. it didnt seem like a big deal to the engineer either.. "ok, i'll change it when i get back to the exchange".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

my bill is regularly over 400 and thats *not* including internet which adds another 100

sh*te is what i say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

£121 of which only 80 is use of the phone line of that about
    £68 is internet.

The rental charges are outbloodyrageous!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

130 notes , lol *sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

There must of been a mistake from my last bill. lately, I've been getting bills with an 'internet' section of the bill .... My latest bill was £11 (2 months) ? I use the net quite a bit (2 hours a day average) and was supprised at the £11 figure .. but not complaining :) although the total phone bill was £80.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

IR£ 149.50 / month

ISDN home use only...
    Internet calls account for 89.7% of the call charges....

Also nice to see the Govt. makes another £50 in the last 2 months in VAT on this... any chance of a 0% vat rate on internet calls, eh? Would that be an issue IOFFL could raise?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

Originally posted by P R O F A N I T Y

yes it is, eircom.net and eircom are seperate, the £97 you pay is to eircom net. the line rental goes to another department.

and it probably wouldnt be cheaper taken per mb charges into account

Hmmm.

A nice young lady in eircom ADSL sales told me not once, but twice that line rental was included in their DSL pricing a couple of weeks ago....

someone ring them up and record it :)

pete

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Fergus2

Well I must say this thread is the best argument yet for eircom to not introduce DSL or FRIACO.

Originally posted by pete

Hmmm.

A nice young lady in eircom ADSL sales told me not once, but twice that line rental was included in their DSL pricing a couple of weeks ago....

someone ring them up and record it :)

pete
    Well a nice young lady, told me ADSL was a pipe dream, while another told me it would be out in March. You average eircom worker is about as intelligent as well trained monkey, and that’s how eircom like them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Kopf

My phone bill always used to top 200 quid, the lowest i remember it being was 180. I suffered because of my parents not allowing me to get IOL NoLimits for the entire time it was around, and then 1 week before it was totally taken off, i got signed up :p

I'm the luckiest guy alive :D

(well, actually there are a few others like me.. but hey. :)

Advertisement