Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cable Vs ADSL

• 27-02-2000 8:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭

So has anyone heard any news about either of them..?
    Which is better, why, and which will be here first?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭shank

afaik adsl is better but you can be damn sure that eircom will price it well out of the reach of gamers, cable on the other hand is likely to be fairly reasonably priced if slightly slower. Cable should start rolling out at the end of June(acording to the website) but don ask me if its gonna be single or full, if it's one way i'd prolly wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

cable supports speeds from 512 Kbps to 52 Mbps .. thing is most computers might only handle 10Mbps and if the cable is divided up between a good number of heavy users then it will be straining.

DSL is typically 512Kps to 1.44Mps with that you have your own line though so its all down to proximity to the company offering the DSL and their own connections.

DSL is a lot more expensive than cable..
    unless your in america www.freedsl.com smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

I heard Cablelink are rolling cable out in June, but I won't hold my breath.
    They also have no pricing policy in place, which could turn out to be utter, £2 per-megabyte, b0llox.

[This message has been edited by Dead{o}Santa (edited 04-03-2000).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

ADSL is supposedly free in Sweden which is probably why we get so many LPBs from the Netherlands.

So geography was not your strong point!

Cable is good and fast but you are with the same ISP forever and cannot change ever, as its on all the time, so if your ISP is **** tough!

DSL is done in the UK over a 50-1 ratio, meaning 50 users have access to every line...

I am going for unmetered ISDN myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

err DSL 50-1 ??? wtf?
    with DSL you have your own line.

with cable you share a line.

unless the UK is extremely ****ed up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

from what I heard dsl is run on you phone line like a modem but you can talk on the phone at the same time. this allso means that if there are a lot of people use dsl in the same server your going to lose band with same with cable but i thinl tv can cause noise or take up band with as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Fing

In order for xDSL to work on a residential basis, Eircom would have to upgrade their kit in the exchanges which is a costly venture. Typically, the download bandwidth is mush less than the upload. I think we'll be waiting a while...

Fing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

yep as usual the brits did fu<k things up with dsl . anyone see dont feed the whatever its called on monday that poor ba$tered that came over got a creaming but he did take it well and did say sorry for everything that the brits don . o and eircom copies the brits so if we get them to give free lines out for dsl well all be smile.gif

Advertisement