Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sound Blaster Audigy

• 09-10-2001 9:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭

Just bought myself the new Audigy Platinum EX. Will be plugging it in tonight (hopefully) any one any opinions on the card - what its like - good bad ??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

Apparently it got a lot of good reviews online and it does have a firewire port.

Can you let us know what you think, performance etc. as I'd be interested in buying one.

thanks

Guess I spoke too soon. Quote form Gamespot.com

"Unfortunately for owners of AMD Athlon systems who use VIA chipsets, the new Sound Blaster Audigy cards have many of the same compatibility problems as did the previous Live! line. Soon after we installed the Audigy, our Athlon experienced audio and system hangs, background audio popping, and many crashes. Only a full upgrade and subsequent tweaks of the system BIOS stabilized everything. This may be more work and risk than many gamers are willing to bear. "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

Nuts I forgot about that problem - I had it and had a fix for it but I doubt it would work on the audigy, will confirm tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its a bit late to mention this proberly but I hope you did'nt buy the card in the expectation of using it to record music in 24 bit
    audio as it only plays in 24 bit to match DVD standards, for
    creative purposes its still a 16 bit card...oh well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

No i didn't intend on doing much recording - have other interests with it.

Well, I put it together last night, it took a while, theres a lot of cables and crap to sort out first.
    Also get a load of s/w with it of which I have only looked at one cd (installation) out of four.

Some nice sound demos on it - one of a gold mine giving the difference of with and with out their improved EAX.

Have to say on first play of some mp3 the quality was crystal on mine compared to the SBLive (Rev A) I had in before.

Will do some serious testing over the weekend with the s/w etc... maybe check some games - I think Deus Ex is suppose to be more atmospheric on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Originally posted by mike65
    Its a bit late to mention this proberly but I hope you did'nt buy the card in the expectation of using it to record music in 24 bit
    audio as it only plays in 24 bit to match DVD standards, for
    creative purposes its still a 16 bit card...oh well.

Hmm....it has 24/96 Khz dacs and it does claim to be able to process and output 24 bit Wavs/audio streams. The only silly limitation I saw was the ADC being limited to 24/48Khz (Not a major problem as chances are you will be using digital in for anything of that standard).

As for the VIA issues there are simple fixes available (And I've never actually run into it myself).

• Advertisement
Advertisement