Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL release dirt cheap access in UK

Options
  • 09-10-2001 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/22096.html

NTL unveils hi-speed unmetered Net access
    By Tim Richardson
    Posted: 08/10/2001 at 15:17 GMT

NTL has unleashed an unmetered, always-on high-speed Net access service which, it claims, will go head-to-head with existing ISDN and flat-fee dial-up services.

Running at speeds of up to 128kbps over NTL's cable network, the new service provides a stepping stone between dial-up and broadband services.

Costing £14.99 a month, the new service is priced similarly to existing unmetered dial-up services.

The cableco has even managed to win the endorsement of E-minister Douglas Alexander, who said: "The UK Government welcomes the announcement of this competitively priced new service from NTL.

"We are committed to ensuring that more UK consumers should have the opportunity to benefit from fast, always-on, Internet access and this is another step towards that goal."

Bless 'im.

NTL maintains that this is a broadband product and overlooks the fact this is only 128kbps.

It claims the fact that it's always on and unmetered proves it is worthy of the broadband handle.

We're not so sure, but there you go. ®

If they released a similar service over here I'd get it :) but they wont :(

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Yeah, it's great that we have such choice in Ireland, isn't it? Analog modem, ISDN terminal, leased line. Expensive, more expensive, and ludicrously expensive. Oh joy.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Am I the only person wondering why on earth you'd opt to go for this rather than paying the extra fiver a month to go up to a broadband ethernet-based 512/128 service?

Most people don't really need that kind of speed. And a fiver a month is quite a lot to some people. Facing into the alleged recession, a fiver will be very useful to some people. Choice is a wonderful thing. Apparently.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

Obviously I'd love 512/128 or faster but if NTL offered a similar service here I'd get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

Originally posted by Shinji
    Am I the only person wondering why on earth you'd opt to go for this rather than paying the extra fiver a month to go up to a broadband ethernet-based 512/128 service?

Well I'd certainly be perfectly happy with it. It would be perfect for browsing and gaming and I'd just leave large downloads going and go to bed.

A fiver saved is a fiver saved, especially for those who'd rarely need the extra capacity.

Mind you, that's disingenuous. I know me and I'd probably snap and spend the extra fiver. Because I'm weak. But not because I'd need it.

K

• Advertisement

Mind you, that's disingenuous. I know me and I'd probably snap and spend the extra fiver. Because I'm weak. But not because I'd need it.

Ditto, although I would make good use of it.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I know a guy in London who is being pressed by NTL to take up this offer (doesn't really have a need for the Net at home so he probably won't).

Any time I'm on the phone to him, he keeps bringing it up before laughing very hard as he asks about the updated situation here. Die Eircom die.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

Have we got an "E-Minister" and if not WHY NOT !!!!!????****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Given what the last British e-Minister was like, you're better off without one. Trust me on this. El Reg affectionately called her the "part-time e-Minister", and ultimately the woman was worse than useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭P R O F A N I T Y

kinda like our telecoms minister, i forget her name, but isnt she minister for 3 thinks and a doctor at the weekend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Shinji
    Given what the last British e-Minister was like, you're better off without one. Trust me on this. El Reg affectionately called her the "part-time e-Minister", and ultimately the woman was worse than useless.

Yeah, they ran a great story a few weeks back - "EMinister resurfaces after four months"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

If that got released here i'd get it anyway,
    it's way better than WE'RE gonna get for a long time
    unmetered dual ISDN speed always on NICE*!!!

*although not as nice as ADSL would be at that price or even HMM uncapped free ADSL *DROOL*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

For a good idea about NTL check out his link (or the humor board)

NTL Letter

Advertisement