Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chorus "PowerNet" Solution...

Options
  • 09-10-2001 3:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I was one of the lucky ones to have been on the original beta test of the cablenet cable modem solution. I basically had cable modem access @ 128K.. although it wasn't always the most stable solution on the planet.

When Chorus bought out CMI, they got cablenet into the bargin. Recently Chorus trashed the cable modem setup, quoting their own 'powernet' solution as the future.

Only problem is.. powernet has been "promised" for about 18 months so far, and Chorus are still a bunch of muppets trying to figure out the difference between a TV and a cable modem.

Due to the split in boundaries between NTL and Chorus, I can't even look at anything NTL might come up with. Therefore I have to wait on ADSL (yeah right! Eircrap up to their usual tricks) or hope that Chorus (muppet central) actually delivery something.

Anyone got the inside track on the Chorus broadband offering? Is it close? Is it even a reality?

Thanks in advance

c0y0te

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Up and running in Limerick (and Cork, I'm told)

Where roughly are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Pimp

Whats it like for on-line gaming?
    Is the ping any good especially for fps shooters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Matfinn

Originally posted by c0y0te
    Folks,

Therefore I have to wait on ADSL (yeah right! Eircrap up to their usual tricks) or hope that Chorus (muppet central) actually delivery something.

c0y0te

You dont have to wait for anything like ADSL. Have a look at www.irishwan.org and find out more. If you need plenty of info, it can be found on http://dublin.irishwan.org

Join up if you like, the more users we get the quicker we get this thing off the ground:)

Thanks and god bless

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

Sceptre.. I'm based in Dublin, Malahide to be exact.

Matt - Thanks for the links. I'll have a read of that stuff and see where it leads, although I thought all that Line of Sight stuff had some limitations on distance, not to mention quality.

c0y0te

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

They're not testing in Cork.

The Cork Wan will be though. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭kendragon

I've got it in Limerick and it is FAST!!! for example I used it to upgrade my version of Halflife (a 75MB Download) and it finished in about 5 or 6 minutes. although some times are better than others.
    As for games... i'm not big into online gaming but i did try it and it worked for Half life and elite force without much hassle, but Serious Sam had major sluggishness with the controls and stuff. As i said i rarely do online gaming so i'm not the best person to talk to...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

Anytime I've had dealings with Chorus, I've been completely under-whelmed by their response.

So far

- they tried to send TV repair people to fix my cable modem on several occasions;
    - They refused to tell me anything about their powernet service, other than it is planned to happen 'soon' (for last 18 months)
    - They refused to put me through to a customer service manager because (get this!)... "Punters are not allowed talk to customer service managers"
    - They repeatedly displayed their total lack of knowledge of all things internet related by insisting I was talking about TV channels and connection issues when I plainly wasn't
    - They have recently dropped my cable connection entirely (as mentioned) and..
    - They just this week disabled outgoing mail on my friggin email account, without telling me, so gawd knows how long I can even continue to read mail until they **** all over that one too.
    I could go on... and on.. and on... but it's not worth it.

Basically I've not been very impressed with this crew since they bought out Cablenet/CMI. They just don't seem to know which way is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by c0y0te

- they tried to send TV repair people to fix my cable modem on several occasions;

Chorus farmed out their maintenance department about two years ago (ironically the peraon who formed the new company taking the Chorus maintenance contract was the person who was heading maintenance while working for Chorus)

That company play a few tactics with Chorus to up their income. They pretend to Chorus that they have called to your house and that no-one was home (they get paid twice this way - once when they "call" the first time and again when they actually call)

- They refused to put me through to a customer service manager because (get this!)... "Punters are not allowed talk to customer service managers"
    [

This may be a recent policy but I used go out with someone who was a customer service manager when she worked with Chorus. Basically at the time pretty much all of the managers would not talk to customers on the phone - she was the only one who did. Either way, the result was the same.

It's precisely the same situation at Esat. I have managed to speak to a manager three times and been called back twice. Every time it was the same manager. Any time I phone (not lately, I admit), part of the conversation runs as follows:
    "... I know a manager will not speak to me on the phone but... oh, what the hell, can I speak to a customer service manager please?"
    "No"
    "OK, please note in my customer comments that I asked for a customer service manager"

The only way I manage to speak to a manager at either Chorus or Esat when I need to is by phoning on the quarter hour, every quarter hour until I do (hey, the number if a freephone number, make sure to ring it from your mobile, Esat then pay Eircell the 14p or 27p (can't remember which) for routing a freephone number across the mobile network - not much but it will make you feel a little better). Oh, and don't forget the rules they have to live by - fail to be abusive and the regular people have little option but to stay on the line. It might surprise some of the people on the forum I have met but I can complain non-abusively without stopping for anything up to an hour at 150 words per minute, pausing just to make sure they're still there by getting them to repeat bits back at me. Not fair - I suppose not, but it's not my problem if service isn't perfect. If I can't speak to a manager, I really have to treat every CS rep as if they are CEO of the company.

Basically I've not been very impressed with this crew since they bought out Cablenet/CMI. They just don't seem to know which way is up.

Probably not.

Advertisement