Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet access and faxing from a laptop via mobile phone...

Options
  • 09-10-2001 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭

Hey guys, the company im working for is getting a brand new top of the range laptop and are trying to suss out using a mobile phone connected to the laptop for Net access and sending faxes. I assume we'll need a PCMCIA card that will allow you to plug your mobile into the laptop... what i nedd is a few recommendations, whats speeds are we going to get for the net through a mobile, fax speeds, prices etc etc... anything you think would help.

Cheers laeds! Thanks for the help!

"LOSE me.. Hate me.. SMASH me..
    ERASE me.. KILL me.."

nine inch nails - eraser

|Chief|...

cfx.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

afaik fastest mobile speed is 15k using hscsd (high speed circuit switched data) but its charged as two calls.

fax is sent at the same speeds.

if you are using mobile internet connection your best idea is to use a mobile isp such as e-merge - you get lower call's from a mobile.

also if you have an infrared port then you can use that instead of the pcmia card.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

All the info here,

http://www.eircell.ie/1_about_us/pressreleases/archive/00/190900.htm

My dad works for Eircell and brought home one of these, it connects throught a motorola phone called a timeport. I connected to the net at 38,000bps and was perfect for surfing. Was about the same speed as a 56k(you wouldnt notice the difference).

Chief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Sticky

Depending on your needs HSCSD may be a better option than GPRS as the high latency on GPRS breaks some apps...

AFAIK Eircell's HSCSD service offers up to 4 time slots but does not garuantee them (dependant on available cell capacity). You get charged for a single call however many slots you get.

Advertisement