Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance in Ireland?

Options
  • 09-10-2001 4:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭

Maybe one of you bike heads may be able to fill me in.

I'm 23 and want to buy a bike pretty soon. I've never had a car or bike before therefore was never insured but I don't want a pissy 125 I want something around to 400 range cause I'm a big lad.

I was thinking of a Honda CBR, quite nice but I'm not sure what the deal is with insurance. I know previously you could only get a 125 on a provisional licence or if you were under 24 or something stupid like that.

Does anyone know what the exact deal is now?

.logic.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

You need a A1 type licence for anything over 125CC according to the underwriting guide its a legal thing not just an insurance thing. Also a Honda CBR 400 is a Group 8 bike @ 399 CC and most insurances companys wont touch you unless your 25+ on such a high bike (I think the rule is Group 6+ you must be over 25). Taking all that on board and saying your 25 Full A Lic and use your bike in Dublin. You will be paying up on £1700 for Comp and £1000 for TPO. if the bike is over 3 years old you will get a 3% disc. AFAIK. Hope this helps if you want more info just ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

anyhew, as far as i know ya gotta drive a 125cc or lower for a year before your allowed a bigger engine. maybe there an age thingy on that too tho. besides ya need a smaller bike to start off on, get a 125 cruiser type thingy, most of them sound class too not like a little lawnmore at all, nice big gruntin sound :) 4-stroke nyommmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

kayos, isint that an A license for over 125cc? I have both a provisional A1 and A and was told that I can drive absolutely anything I want. I'm 20, currently have a 125 and am looking at getting a 650 in the new year. Only thing is that you'll have to get it restricted to 33bhp (or about that).

to give you some idea on insurance, I was quoted £1250 third party on a Yamaha Drag Star 650cc. Thats taking into account that next year I'll be 21 (therefore insurance drops a bit - approx 300 quid)

Thing is that you will be screwed for insurance on a sports bike (group 8 as kayos said) whereas the bike I'm getting is a group... ehh cant remember.

so roll on next year and good look with the bike hunt logic :)

Advertisement