Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So how did you come accross boards.ie???

• 09-10-2001 4:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭

Because of the amount of people that frequent the boards i thought it'd be interesting to find out how you all stumbled on the site.

I first came accross the boards when they were on ign.ie :) twas just after my first game of TFC and i was torn between that and Jedi Knight. Must have been near two years ago at this stage.

What about ye??

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I found out about it from playing on the ign server when it had it adverted in the MOTD
    look at my reg'd date and then take 3 months away from that..
    That was when I first looked at boards, I just checked the HL board.. and didn't bother signing up as I didn't feel the need.. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

First came here when it was the cloud/IGN boards, and got hooked :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

Some mong by the name of Nakedbiblereadingman who i knew from Rogue Spear pointed me this way july 2000 when i got Half life and wanted to know about irish servers for tf/cs :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I was bored while left with absolutely no work on my college work placement.

Was searching the web and ended up on one of Clouds' web pages.

The trail ended here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

i started on the boards many moons ago
    it was back in the days of going to www.quake.ie then cclicking on the boards :)

i started posting and stuff tho about a year ago something to do with cs, ir and stuff :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

playing TFC on the ign server......say you couldnt point me in the right direction for some irish servers for tfc , i stopped playing for ages and now i cant find any Irish servers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭lazer

total accident actualy? i was in work...bored, as usual, i work nites in a café, i was actualy hopeing that www.boards.ie would be an irish board game site..but em..i guess not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

ive known about it for about 4 years now but never bothered joining till recently
    i dont know why
    tis a bit of a larf
    darn my l33t35t ways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Originally posted by Giblet
    ive known about it for about 4 years now but never bothered joining till recently
    i dont know why
    tis a bit of a larf
    darn my l33t35t ways

wow Giblet! at 19.17 posts a day yer making up for lost time :)

Learned about it on ie.comp myself.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Bloody Drunkard

I was "working" during the summer and my friend showed me the site.

I realised just how much fun it is to argue with people (especially in the sports board)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I am going to be the first(but certainly not the last) to say I was reffered here by a CSer, just a few short months ago......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

it probably will come down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

Am I going totaly insane, or was there a very similar topic to this a couple of weeks ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

You all owe the pleasure of my presence to the...

€$at- SNL Fiasco and due to the establishment of IrelandOffline and the hosting of our forum here :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Originally posted by DrunkLeprachaun
    Am I going totaly insane, or was there a very similar topic to this a couple of weeks ago?

I believe you're right. I couldn't be arséd searching for the link...
    Either that or I'm insane as well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

There was, I started it and it's here.

K

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭Catch_22

As i recdall it was lacerta.ucg.ie when i first came across it which was back in the days when cloud was running it from galway and quake 1 ruled ... still the best game ever

c22

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

It seems I first came across boards.ie when looking for a place to advertise a room to rent. I had just come back from my holidays in the good old US of A (April 2000) and couldn't afford to stay in the house I was living in ( shared with Lucutus, of all people! :D ) any longer... so I put up an ad on daft.ie and Luc copied it to a thread here. I think my first post was a reply to that thread saying that we'd found someone.

... /me does a wee search

... ah..! ... I was right :)thar it is...

/me grins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

from playing 2 mutch quake on that belovid quake.iol.ie or ctf on indigo where i always had a 600 ping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

T'was back in the summer of 2k I do believe when I met an interesting ol' chap by the name of Irish-Taz on ICQ (was my sisters ICQ..and that bastard was trying to Cyber-pork her! :mad:). He informed me of some Irish Counter-Strike servers that I was previously unaware of. I followed a link from the servers MOTD and the rest, as they say, is history. :P

BTW, was aka Ph0eniX back then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

always knew there was something going on called 'Cloud Boards' (from my Quake 2 days - Sir_Xylem back then I think)...

apart from that I was chatin' with Freak_Bruther down the pub, and he told me it was doing well these days... so I had a look!

.Goodshape

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

snl fiasco on ie.comp directed me here, never looked back :)

ooops i better go offline, watchin that bill ):mad:

/me quit (payin dial-up 64k isdn pay per min is a friggin rip-off !!...((:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Originally posted by draffodx
    playing TFC on the ign server......say you couldnt point me in the right direction for some irish servers for tfc , i stopped playing for ages and now i cant find any Irish servers?

halflife-2.ign.ie:27015

Check the Half-Life board here on boards.ie - its mostly TFC stuff that gets posted there. (Those smelly 13 year old CSers have their own board full of spam and flames :p)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

I found these boards through www.Quake.ie
    I had only bought the game, and wanted to see if anyone in Ireland was playing it in a big way, mods and all that.
    So just out of fluke - I tried www.quake.ie in the address bar... and lucky me! :D
    Yeah, twas boards.ign.ie back then, but it's pretty much the same now except for all the weird non-gamer types floating around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭FreaK_BrutheR

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8758

thats the earliest post from me that is listed. I was here before that although be how long ive no idea. i dont even remember when i came across the boards. first week i EVER saw the internet in my life i was on boards. (incidentally i never even saw the internet before i got it.) i think i fell into them cos i was lookin for cheat s for q1 or summat.

Part and parcel of what the internet is for me really

long may it keep up!

FB

Advertisement