Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

genesiseurope.net

• 06-03-2000 11:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭

What's the story with this crowd? I've seen their ad in the paper a few days ago - offering 45mbits into your home for £12.50/month starting in november. Does anyone have any other details, ie, is it restricted to certain areas, what type of connection it is, is there an installation charge, etc...

All that's on www.genesiseurope.net at the moment is a gif advertising a freephone line - 1800 436 3747 - which I will ring tomorrow smile.gif

- Munch
    - Visit The Fortress

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Rang them today. ISP roll out in november. Claiming 45mbit over existing copper pair phone line so I assume its some kind of ADSL, and yes this is possible.
    They install a h/w device in your house which uses some fancy compression thingy to split the signal.
    Don't bother ringing as yer wan on the phone hasn't a clue, "you'll be able to go on the internet in November" etc.

Found this article which may (Or may not) explain things....

Phone companies may be on the brink of matching the cable companies with a powerful new competitive weapon: a system to transmit television signals over plain old copper phone lines.
    Developed by a Norwalk, Conn., company called mPhase and manufactured at Flextronics in Westford, such a system is being tested in a North Georgia town by the local independent phone company. A handful of homes, soon to be several hundred, are getting TV signals over existing phone lines.
    Using sophisticated filtering technology developed by Georgia Tech researchers to keep phone calls, Internet traffic, and TV signals separate, the mPhase ''Traverser'' system could radically shift the balance of power in the epic battle under way between traditional phone and cable giants.
    With 182 million copper phone lines in service across the United States, it's easy to imagine the potential for a system that could turn them into a cost-effective alternative for the nation's 66 million cable TV households and 10 million dish TV homes.
    ''It's a good product as far as I'm concerned,'' said Scott Hardigree of Hartwell,
    Ga., who runs a firm that manufactures men's trousers. He has picked up 35 channels over his phone line since his home was made a test site in September.
    In the last three years, cable giants such as MediaOne Group have been raiding the Baby Bells' turf, offering first high-speed Internet access and, now, phone service over upgraded cable lines. AT&T is gambling more than $120 billion on coverting cable systems to challenge companies like Bell Atlantic.
    Bell Atlantic and others have matched cable broadband with their own digital subscriber line Net access service, showing that 75-year-old copper wires can in most instances be just as powerful a broadband delivery medium as upgraded coaxial cable.
    But cost-effective ways to match the cable companies in offering TV service, in addition to Internet access, have been slow to develop.
    Recently U S West has been trying out a service called VDSL in Phoenix that delivers up to 120 channels of TV on phone lines. But for now it costs the company $1,500 to $3,000 per home to install the system and service is limited to areas within a few thousand feet of the required phone company equipment. New Brunswick's telephone company offers some customers a similar 100-channel product from iMagicTV.
    Limited as it may be, analyst Jeffrey Kagan said of the U S West experiment: ''Keep your eye on this technology. It is what the phone companies can hang their hat on to remain competitive.''
    Ronald A. Durando, mPhase chief executive, said he is confident the Georgia trial - set to expand from 20 users to more than 1,000 within two months - will show that the company has found a solution that cheaply delivers TV signals up to 21/2 miles from a phone company's ''central offices,'' ultimately for well under $1,000 per home.
    Flextronics' Westford plant is making the set-top boxes and central-office equipment for the system, which will be offered nationwide this summer, with assistance from Carroll Design in Lowell and Wrobel Engineering in Avon.
    The technology for separating television and DSL signals from voice traffic is covered by five Georgia Tech patents. Adding television to the mix is in essence a quality-control issue of making sure you can send a lot of pictures and sounds to thousands of people, all at exactly the same time, with nothing dropping out and nothing bleeding into your phone call to Mom.
    Seen one way, mPhase is offering a way for phone companies to take on the cable giants without building new wires. But many think the truly huge market is offering something people know and want - television service - as a way to get into the home and offer them something they don't yet know how much they want: broadband Net access.
    That's certainly the experience of Walter Gordon, a Hartwell attorney who has the system in his office.
    ''I'm sold on it for TV. It's a very good signal, a very crisp signal,'' Gordon said. But what he really raves about is the 1 megabit-per-second, always-on Net access.
    ''The wow factor is just astounding, it's so blisteringly fast. The TV is just like the icing on the cake.''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

So it'll be eventually possible for me to watch tv from the phone line and d/l donkeypron on the cable.

Jaysus what a topsy turvey mixed up world we live in.

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!

[This message has been edited by amp (edited 07-03-2000).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

download what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

I'll have that, ta hell with ULs measly 2Mbit line. But how well can these lines deal with chronic line noise, or what alot of the IR lads seem to suffer from (farmers using telephone earthlines to earth thier electric fences) Is it still going to be analogue signals they are sending. it will be interesting to see what kind of instalation/phone charges will be. If this is a solid stable digital connection for the cost of a local call, then it would be well worth it...but only time will tell. For the last few years we have had promises of cable connections, but they are yet to materialise, so i'd say it's best not to hold your breath. This service may come to europe first, and be a few years before we get a sniff of it

www.csn.ul.ie/~osiris

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

November! frown.gif

wait....what am i complaining about - i won't be back till october

[This message has been edited by Blitzkrieger (edited 07-03-2000).]

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I think you may have mis-read that ad.

Putting it into perspective: A 45mbit connect with Eircom would cost hundreds of thousands of pounds.

I think i just *might* mean that they're basic service (probably dialup modem) is 12.50/month and they support up to 45mbit smile.gif

Just a bit of reality,
    Regards,
    Rob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

i think you will find that thay give you a 56K modem and that 45mb is there ISP con and not in to your house (yes i did read the add and there is no way thay could give that type of con in to any house in ireland)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭acous

wellllllll............
    ADSL has a max of about 6 mbits downstream.
    Cable 10 megs shared afaik.
    there is a dsl variant called VDSL capabale of 51 mbits but itll only reach 1000 feet from the exchange or wherever.

i doubt its a 56k line if they...
    "install a h/w device in your house which uses some fancy compression thingy to split the signal."
    i think ill ring em tomorrow this could be interesting tongue.gif

or am i just a nutter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

There's some more info on Webnet - http://www.webnet.ie/webnet.ie/News.Asp?NewsID=34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

that says nothing about high speed access :/

merely that what they plan to introduce will do away with call charges, which has been done (half-heartedly) by esat.

• Advertisement
Advertisement