Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Broadband should be, my story

Options
  • 10-10-2001 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭

Hello, posting from the good old US of A visiting my mother in the grand state of Kansas (you know that place that is 3000miles from anywhere, TOTO, Dorothy, the Wizard etc.)

I rang her current cable company at 2:oopm to discover she could get cable installed (she was on 56k). I drove 15 minutes to Compusa and bought a cable modem and NIC. I drove back and plugged them in. I rang the cable company and they asked for my mac address.

Now she has a 512Kbps and the total time from when I thought "wouldnt cable be nice to have for my mom" to when I got it working fully = less than 4 hours.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭spanner_head

that I am afraid is a distant dream way in Ireland.

Cable Access in 4 hours! what would people give for that!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

<adam bursts into tears>

Now look what you've done! It's taken me four years of bitching, whining and battling to get this far, and I'm still months, if not years away from getting *any* kind of broadband access. Cable? With Chorus/Irish Multichannel/Cork Multichannel/Cork Communications at the helm? They sent me propoganda about digital TV two years ago and I still haven't heard any more about it. They wouldn't know innovation if it came up and bit them on the arse.

*sob*

Thanks for ruining my day yankinlk... :)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

yeah, don't you just hate it when your parents or grandparents are living in a 'broadband area', and they simply don't have any interest in the internet :( ... and here I am ... waiting .. antisipating for so long for broadband ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

now i have to explain to mom and dad why they don't NEED america online anymore ( although for a fiver a month maybe ill be saving a million instant messages looking for help next month when im away back in ireland)

hopefully its not that distant of a future for ireland. cox cable are doing it here in kansas and i remeber them from when i lived in washington...maybe we need a european cable company to setup like "SKY" size to get this kind of service. Can a small time company like Chorus or even Eircon really afford to do something like this for its subscribers?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by yankinlk
    Can a small time company like Chorus or even Eircon really afford to do something like this for its subscribers?

They can afford it, but the simple truth is that they couldnt be bothered. Why put in systems that are cheaper and better when they can sell 10/20 year old technology to people.. its not as if we can complain. well we could, but who else are we going to get any service off?

By the way, your first post - truly depressing ! I'm off to drink till I pass out :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

Originally posted by rymus

They can afford it, but the simple truth is that they couldnt be bothered. Why put in systems that are cheaper and better when they can sell 10/20 year old technology to people

Have you seen the latest mouse ad........"Use your mouse to surf the internet at...1p for 1 minute, 2p for 2 minutes, 3p for 3 minutes....."

What was that about "flat-rate by Christmas"? They actually think metered pricing is going to attract more users.

I'm just going to have to get more bored with the internet.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭drrnwbb

eircom somehow seem convinced that ppl just use the internet for a maximum of a few minutes... they think that we go online, send/recieve in outlook express and maybe print off the irish times crossword and then disconnect...... i dont think their market research ppl are getting to the right demorgraphics...

Originally posted by drrnwbb
    eircom somehow seem convinced that ppl just use the internet for a maximum of a few minutes... they think that we go online, send/recieve in outlook express and maybe print off the irish times crossword and then disconnect...... i dont think their market research ppl are getting to the right demorgraphics...

Since being booted from nolimits, thats all I use the internet for. Hell I even write most of my emails offline even! My daily routine is 1> check email 2>check boards 3>disconnect. I'd sell a lung to be back on unmetered

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by rymus

I'd sell a lung to be back on unmetered
    Watch it, someone from Eircom probably reads this forum (notwithstanding their staff not being allowed anywhere near boards.ie)

They'll take you up on your offer, then require your soul for broadband. Careful now, offering Faust-related bargains in public.

Originally posted by sceptre
    They'll take you up on your offer, then require your soul for broadband. Careful now, offering Faust-related bargains in public.

Only my soul for a nice broadband connection? hmmmm, tempting... I think my soul is worth a 2bm sdsl uncapped line :) Some may disagree however ;)

Come on Eircom, make your bids, I'll post on ebay later!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement