Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap & Cheerful DHCP

• 10-10-2001 11:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭

Suggestions please

I've a home lan (4-6 PCs) so I set up win2k for DHCP and all is lovely. Thing is I don't want to waste a 1gig PC running DCHP and doing fug all else.
    I have a couple of older PCs (166-233mhz) one of which I want to use for DHCP. Are there any DHCP solutions that will run on DOS/Win98 or whatever and are lightweight.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Not sure about a DOS/Win solution but why not install a lightweight version of Linux on an old box and use that?

On a related note: Why do people use DHCP anyway? Isn't it easier and more reliable to use fixed IP addresses?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Why do people use DHCP anyway? Isn't it easier and more reliable to use fixed IP addresses?

i agree unless you have people dropping by and plugging laptops into your network DHCP isn't really needed;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Configuration changes constantly. Need DHCP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

If u check tucows you should be able to get a DHCP server that will run under 9x/Me. I had one a while back for the network I run @ home but I deleted it ages ago.. cant remember the name.. You should have no problems getting your hands on a good one anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Downloaded Coyote Linux (Linux firewall and dhcp on a floppy).
    Running on a P166 with no h/d, cd or monitor. Don't need the firewall bit and DHCP works fine.

Whoot!

• Advertisement
Advertisement