Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAT 5/Homelan

• 10-10-2001 12:41pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if it's possible to run cat 5 under ground to another home thats a couple of metres away. I already have a lan running three machines in the house and relatives have moved in and i want to connect there machines to the lan[file sharing,printer,gaming etc..]. So is it possible? what do i need to do it? any other ways to complete the task?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

You have 2 choices.

1. CAT5 is fine, I've done this myself a few times, just be careful where you put the cable. Ladders and cars are your real worries here. The cable itself is fine outside, good rugged stuff that it is and all.

2. Wireless ethernet. 11Mbps connects are easy to get at short range, and bot as expensive as they used to be. Buffalo do a good range of products, as do Lucent and SMC, but they're alot dearer. All you need then is one base station hooked into a hub and a wireless card in the other PC, and yer laughing.

Summary. CAT5 fine, but watch where you put the cable. Wireless better, but expensive and slightly slower.

Incidently, I can sell you two cards and the cable needed to do the job. I'm cheap too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Cheers Jaden
    I've got the cards and the cable but thanks for offering:)
    Going to get stuck into it thisevening..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

only problem there being that if u put the cable underground, be sure not to stretch it too much... snaps in the middle then uve to rip the whole lot out again.

Good luck to you anyway.

Advertisement