Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sources for bits

Options
  • 10-10-2001 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

What stores are good for materials?
    I mean anything. Electronic componetns, fans, heatsinks, ducting, acryllic windows, wiring, rheos, multimetres?

I've heard that Peats is good for it. Crap for hardware proices but good for components.

Anyone from Counties Galway, Limerick, clare or Mayo know any good spots?

Also, I've heard mumblings about some kinda cool case in either Maplins or Peats for a few notes. Supposed to be class.
    Gerry, i think it was you who mentioned it.

Not sure though.

Also, about 4U, 3U etc.
    Do these need special mobos?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Depends on what u want.

They are generally to standard atx formfactor

1U you will want pretty much everything onboard, as you will only have one pci slot on a 90deg riser

2U similar rules apply and you can get risers for em (not easily)
    but you can get some pci cards that will fit eg some really small NICs.

3U most 2/3 height cards will fit in here

4U basically an atx desktop on rails, all standard kit will be OK

peats seem to be ok for some electronics bits, and I get most overclocking kit from overclockers.co.uk

John

just noticed this forum :) yeay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Yeah you can get a sweet full tower Jupiter case in Maplins for around £50.. comes with a ****ty 230w psu which should be turfed out and burnt but other than that it's good quality.

I get most of my stuff from peats simply because I hate maplins. I've never found the service to be good or the staff to be knowlegable.

Peats on average offer good friendly service, knowlegable staff, wide range of products and a good all round service. Any specialiast stuff I need I usually get it from theoverclockingstore.co.uk

.logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Was there a Jumo Case too?
    ow much would a 300-350Watt PSu set me back?
    When you say Full Tower, how tall/wide is it?

Most importantly:
    Does it come with it's own wheels? :D

I'm also looking for fans.

I was thinking of putting 2x 60mm fans above the ATX I/O panel at teh back of my case as exhausts, maybe duct one or bothe of them over my slot1 P3 Cu.
    An 80mm fan wouldn't fit.
    I was looking into getting one 120mm fan for the front, sucking.
    I *might* get another fan for the top as another exhaust, but it would probably be a 80mm too.
    Might get a fan or two for the case sides for over the PCi/AGP cards. A 40mm for the Northbridge chip too.
    of course I'll need wiring for this too.
    Maybe a rheobus aswell, which I'd liekt o build myself.
    or else just a load of 12/7V switches all mounted on my 5.25in bay.
    It's for stuff like this that I'd really like a tower case.
    I don't have the £50 for the Peats Jupiter handy at the moment though. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

MMMMMM fans,

I'm going home for the weekend with just such a plan in mind, forget that dremel **** too, I'm using an angle grinder :)

I'm putting a 120 intake at the bottom front, a 92 intake beside the cpu to blow air in for my ALPHA PAL 8045 :) which is on the way on monday (how many girlfriends will buy you exactly what you ask for your birthday?)
    and 2 80's exhausting above the powersupply to cool the scsi's

All will be controlled by a small fanbus, which will be mounted above the psu with the switches out the back.

switch 1 7/12 v (hopefully always at 7)
    switch 2, turn off all case fans (for dvd viewing, I'm hoping it'll be enuf)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

i did a bit routing around for stuff and got a place in the US
    www.pc-pitstop.com

They charge $33 for delivery

I matched against overclockers and this is what I found
    All prices in punts:

Abit KG7Raid AMD Socket A, 4 DDR, onboard Raid, ATX form factor, 6 PCI, 1 AGP

1.4 GHz Thunderbird/Athlon 266MHz FSB

256mb PC2100 Micron Memory

Thermosonic Thermoengine V60-4210
    For Socket A/370 up to 1.5GHz, with quiet fan, decent performance

USA UK
    Board 138 183
    Processor 98 124
    512MB 66 80
    Fan 20 18

Not bad

As far as getting stuff anywhere in the West of Ireland, no, been there, done that, never again

I am absolutely broke at the moment.
    Trying to get a job for the weekend.
    My college course is ~30 hours a week.
    I'd seriously look into getting stuff shipped from the US in about 6-9 months maybe.

Do any of ye know Tarzan?
    He ships stuff from the US to us here.
    I have opne query which I didn't get ansered when i mailed him.
    Forgot about it for a while then.
    How exactly would I pay him to ship it over?
    I also don't have a credit card, and neither does my mother.
    I *might* be able to use one, but I'd be going over the limit if i was buying a full system.

Whats the story with shipping?
    is it a fixed worldwide price or does it vary with weight/bulk?
    I wouldn't mind getting some nice sort of case from there.
    Then again I could buy the case, PSU and Monitor over here.

I'll have to go savig my pennies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

I haven't been out to the shop myself, but one of the lads here gets all his parts out there. The service is excellent and the pricing is vg, if you blow a ram chip or cpu or whatever it is you are getting, they will not ask questions and are always happy to give you a new part for the one you buggered or was faulty ;)

I send him out to get me parts there also, he got himself a nice AT case and psu for £25 (400w codegen).

I believe it was kali that found the link to their online store, something like www.jaguar.compsys.ie, imho the best customer service you are likely to experience, the lads are sound.......................GL :D

I met up with elexes and Ivan in Galway ovber the weekend. Found out about a PC breakers yard. ,might just head up some day, go scroungin like a knacker :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Just bear in mind, yop that you will get hit for 20% customs duty coming from the states.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Have never been hit, have bought loads of stuff but yet to be hit yet.

Who actually monitors this??

Read this in some other post. Only just occured to me again......

FedEx and UPS (I think) won't hand everything over to Customs to be taxed, whereas DHL baltently surrender those crates of Dr. Pepper you ordered.

Might be a consideration.

I heard that about DHL alright.

where in Galway is the scrap yard?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

UPS have hit me for duty, so have Fedex, although Fedex did go one time without charging me any duty.

Oh.

Pity.

The scrap yard isn't in galway. It's in Carlow. You kinda have to be able to outrun dogs to get the stuff for free though. Five-finger discount. Don't know why. The guy gets paid to take the stuff, afaik, it cost him to get rid of it then, so why isn't he letting ppl have the stuff easier?

Apparently there were a few 19" monitors lying oround outside.

Sounds like a decent spot. Catch is that I doubt much of the stuff is in anywhere near perfect working order. Specially the monitors.

Elexes is doing monitor repair in Cork now though. He *might* repair it for you for the price of a few pints / few hundred RJ-45 jacks.

Advertisement